Thread: When is it safe to let Squirrely Dan run around?

Default When is it safe to let Squirrely Dan run around?

I was wondering when I can let him run around in my house or even if I should. Would he come back to me if I do let him out in house or will I have to catch him? I know it may be hard to say, but what have others experienced and how have they begun to let their squirrels roam in their homes? My fear is that our house is over 100 years old and Lord only knows the holes Squirrely may find and I am afraid of him getting into trouble. I hate the idea of him being boxed up all his life. I was considering releasing him but with the birds, cats, dogs, greys and cars out here I am not sure he would survive a day! I will feel terrible if anything happened to him. He does seem to want his freedom. He has grown up so quick in the past few weeks. He is 90 grams! I keep looking for other reds and have yet to see even one. I don't want to purchase a critter cage until I am sure he is going to stay. I do have a large bird cage I was thinking of using for him and maybe letting him enjoy the sun porch. I have ideas, I just want him to have a happy and safe life and do what is best for him. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: When is it safe to let Squirrely Dan run around?

My signature pretty much says what I think about this subject: "Better a day in the trees than a lifetime in a cage."

Especially for a RED squirrel.

Reds are more solitary than greys and foxers and very territorial. You don't see a bunch of them together because they will run anything and everything off their chosen territory.
    In 16 years of being here on The Squirrel Board I believe we have known one -- yes, one -- red squirrel who was happy to live in a home with his humans. It is highly unusual and unlikely that your boy will be happy living in any kind of cage and watching the outdoors from within. Also, reds have specific diets comprised mostly of conifer seeds and cones. They don't thrive on the same things we feed greys and foxers.

Eventually, your red WILL escape -- they always do. And you'll have to find him in that big old house.

sorry to be a downer, but I really feel strongly that a healthy red squirrel should be soft-released into the wild; whether at your home or the home of a squirrel rehabber who has an appropriate place.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: When is it safe to let Squirrely Dan run around?

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    My signature pretty much says what I think about this subject: "Better a day in the trees than a lifetime in a cage."

Especially for a RED squirrel.

Reds are more solitary than greys and foxers and very territorial. You don't see a bunch of them together because they will run anything and everything off their chosen territory.
    In 16 years of being here on The Squirrel Board I believe we have known one -- yes, one -- red squirrel who was happy to live in a home with his humans. It is highly unusual and unlikely that your boy will be happy living in any kind of cage and watching the outdoors from within. Also, reds have specific diets comprised mostly of conifer seeds and cones. They don't thrive on the same things we feed greys and foxers.

Eventually, your red WILL escape -- they always do. And you'll have to find him in that big old house.

sorry to be a downer, but I really feel strongly that a healthy red squirrel should be soft-released into the wild; whether at your home or the home of a squirrel rehabber who has an appropriate place.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. Do you think I should release him here, where he was rescued? I can easily put him on the porch in his container. He is a quick little guy. In all honesty, I feel next to my big old oak tree may be safe for him and pray he will be ok. Is it too soon? I can always leave his blocks out by the tree or even in the tree for him. I am glad for a few weeks he was able to get strong and healthy. His foot seems healed. He climbs all over me and I have been watch to see if he has any issues, I have seen none other than freedom. I do enjoy him but what life is it for this healthy little guy inside? I can put his box by the huge oak tree and watch to make sure nothing gets him ( for now) I don't know if he will come back and visit but his freedom to be squirrel is what is important. I will help any animal that comes my way. Rescue anything from snakes to pigs. Had a dove for a few days too. This little guy, I believe, deserves to be Squirrely Dan, free and running up trees, not me. The bittersweet of saving our little friends.