Thread: Squirrel fights

Default Squirrel fights

Okay so Hazel has been sleeping in her box in a tree for two nights now. We started letting her out of her cage for a couple hours every night while we sat on the porch and looked out for her a few weeks ago. She was liking it more and more and wanting to go back to her cage less and less so I moved her box into the big tree directly across our porch. She's doing very well and all of the things a squirrel should be good at. She's big she's healthy but she seems to be doing too well in one department. We have some resident wild squirrels that like to come in the morning and eat around our bird feeder. A couple will come in the evening. She has been outdoors night and day for three or four weeks so she is used to them. But since she's been sleeping in her tree she is become aggressive with them. They don't bother her at all. They've always been very fearful of us so when we open the patio door they usually scatter. But since her presence if you sit on the porch and don't get too rowdy they'll hang out and eat down there. So I observed her chasing them one after the other. They don't bother her they all seem to have their own agenda in mind and all seem to sit around and get along well when they're scavenging around there. You might see a chase or two but it quickly ends. And sometimes she'll sit with them and seems to have some she likes and some she doesn't like. But then this morning I noticed several bite wounds on her stomach. So obviously one of them decided they were tired of being bullied by her. I'm actually surprised she has this kind of control but I'm not sure what to do about it. Is this going to be okay?

Default Re: Squirrel fights

Went out and wrestled with her for a minute to get some pictures. They all seem to be on her belly outside, nothing...
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Default Re: Squirrel fights

Also I've observed that more squirrels come in the morning which is her trouble time. Younger or stranger ones and there is a pair that seems to be about her age but a bit smaller. In the evening when she seems to get along fine there are just a few adult squirrels that seem to be the females with the nests nearby.