Thread: Nibbling on paws & arms. Eastern Grey Squirrel

Default Nibbling on paws & arms. Eastern Grey Squirrel

Hello. I am brand new to the world of squirrels & let me begin by saying what an amazing resource & community that exists within these pages. The content & the way long time members are able to help these squirrels & their humans in need is truly extraordinary. Thank you everyone for participating.

Mumford is an eastern grey squirrel. 7 to 8 months old. He lives in my house with me & goes outside in his cage for sunlight about an hour everyday. He eats 2-4 Henry’s blocks a day. Along with a variety of veggies - arugula, avocado, mushrooms, tomato, & carrots. He likes flowers from a safe list I researched. Some grapes & usually a few nuts as treats. Usually pecan, hazel nut or walnut with shell. What a mess!

He seems to have a good appetite & to be in good health generally. But recently he’s been nibbling at his arm & it’s beginning to wear his fur away & become raw. There also appears to some small bumps around his paws & fingers. I’m not sure if they were there before this began or a result of the nibbling. Have been applying raw coconut oil to the area, but the issue continues.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any recommendations will greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Nibbling on paws & arms. Eastern Grey Squirrel

First, can you get some more pics? The first two are pretty fuzzy and it is hard to tell what we are looking at.

What does his skin under the still furry areas look like? Is it smooth and normal or is it red, rough, scaly; are there any of the bumps you mention?

What are his normal surroundings like? What bedding does he have, etc. Do you use air fresheners, those plug ins, heavily scented laundry detergent; anything that could be causing allergies?

The first thing I would do is stop with the coconut oil. Instead, go to a drug store and buy a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine (or the store brand equivalent). It will be in the wound care area, and comes in a squeeze bottle - looks like a bottle of blood. Dilute this 1/4 teaspoon in 1/4 cup of water, and use a cotton ball to wipe the area down thoroughly. I would do it at least twice a day - if you can do one more, do so. It doesn't sting or burn at all (might dye his fur a little orange!) and is an absolutely wonderful antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal, which covers just about everything. If this is a staph infection, it will take care of it really effectively. Just saturate the cotton ball, wipe the area so the skin is wet, and you're done - let it air dry. It has the benefit of drying without leaving a sticky, gooey residue on the fur which will cause them to overgroom the area, which may be what is happening here. Often they get a little skin infection, it itches, they groom it, human applies salve or cream, which they MUST get off because they are very particular about their fur, which puts more saliva bacteria o the area, which breaks out more, and on and on.

BTW, you can use the betadyne on yourself, too - any skin thing from cuts and scratches to pimples!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

TheyCallMeMumford (05-03-2022)

Thank you so much for your help.

Under the other furry areas, appear normal. No redness, bumps or scaliness. Smooth.
    For his normal surroundings, he cruises around my home. Some carpet. Some hardwood. Some stone tile. He spends a lot of time climbing a rope line that I set up in the rear of my house. He sleeps in my closet in my shirts & sweaters. I use Arm & Hammer Oxiclean detergent. Pretty mild fragrance I think. No air fresheners. There are two small shih tzu’s here as well.

I will try the betadyne & will stop applying the coconut oil. I read that it had immune system supporting properties. Is that a falsehood? And how did you know about the pimples? Jk.

Thank you so much again for your advice. If the new photos help, would love to hear anything else you would suggest.

I forgot to mention that the photos from the original post are from last Wednesday. These are from today.

I am not sure about immune supporting properties in coconut oil - honestly, there are so many over the top claims about coconut oil I kind of ignore all of it. I love the smell and use it to cook and bake occasionally. I don't like applying ANYTHING to a squirrel that leaves any residue in their fur because they are so obsessive about grooming it all away with their bacteria covered little tongues, and will turn a little nothing into a big inflamed mess. There are some wonderful salves out there that would likely do great stuff but I steer away because unless the sore is someplace they can't reach like on top of their head, they will lick it forever. Doing this is what causes "hot spots" on dogs, normally on their feet and forelegs. BTW, Betadyne is great for those, too.

It won't hurt them but I suspect it doesn't taste very good because every time I have used it the sores healed up really quickly and wouldn't if they still licked. Any time I see skin stuff I always try betadyne first and often don't have to look any further than that. Please keep us posted on how it works on Mumford.

You asked - I will answer! When I first started wearing a face mask for covid, I developed, at my ripe old age, pimples - "maskne" as they call it. Seems that trapping your own skanky breath against your skin for long periods isn't good! I was treating a little spot on my squirrel and figured WTH? It made my face orange (it washes right off) and they disappeared FAST. It has become, for me, like the Frank's Red Hot sauce ads - "I put that $%@! on EVERYTHING!"

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

TheyCallMeMumford (05-03-2022)

“I put that *%#$ on everything!” Classic! Will give the betadyne a shot tomorrow & will definitely keep you updated on his progress. Thank you again for advice & your great sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeMumford View Post
    “I put that *%#$ on everything!” Classic! Will give the betadyne a shot tomorrow & will definitely keep you updated on his progress. Thank you again for advice & your great sense of humor.
    Don't forget to dilute it. For you, too. That bottle will last forever.

Applied some this morning. He wanted to groom it off his arm. So we played with his toys for a while until it dried. Seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TheyCallMeMumford from:

CritterMom (05-04-2022)

Organic Chia oil (human food grade) from "Foods Alive", is a safe and effective immune system booster, that has been proven in pets to reduce inflammation in the body. Other chia oil sources noted as, or also as, 'carrier oils', aren't fit for consumption by human or pets. This organic cold pressed source, "food grade" chia oil, is a safe human and pet consumption. The same was included in the diet of a gray squirrels diet for years. It was also given to horse with severe founder, which reduced the severe inflammation from this condition, that saved its life.

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Alive-A...007788AZA?th=1

You can add 4 drops (1/16) Tsp. to his food daily, or allow him to lick it off the measuring spoon.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Food...12&sr=1-6&th=1

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

TheyCallMeMumford (05-15-2022)

Thank you both for your suggestions & guidance. I am happy to report that Mumford’s condition has greatly improved & appears to be fully recovered. Nibbling has returned to normal frequency & the fur has regrown in the raw spots.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TheyCallMeMumford from:

The Nut Lady (05-15-2022)

Now you see why I put that $#@! on everything! They ought to pay me - I sell more of this here than you could believe. So glad it worked - he looks very handsome!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from: