Thread: Rehabbing squirrel is bleeding from tail...

Default Rehabbing squirrel is bleeding from tail...

I have a squirrel that was injured via car accident.
    She had fractures to base of tail (bone), pelvis (right above her squirrel lady parts, and the mickeymouse ears at the base of the spine.

Her tail was partially amputated.

Timeline :

Accident april.21 :
    Vet amputated part of tail and set up pain meds for me to give while keeping her in a low mobility environment.

Stitches removal may.5 :
    She did this herself. She was cleared to release into rehab enclosure.

Release into outside enclosure may.9/10 :
    She got to see her kids... getting stronger with her back legs.

May.12/13 :

Spotted some blood where her tail rests in her perch spot. Also spotted some drops on the window to the house, which sold me on the tail.

Visibly, her tail has a missing part of hair and makes a V with a triangle top at the end, that is pointed into the V... (shapes based on hair).

Cage had a couple pieces of hair with scablike material.

My biggest fear is that trying to get her to the vet might do more harm than good, since the blood is from her cleaning her tail.

Im solid with my animal husbandry until it comes to serious vet stuff... and just need some help with what to look for, that i might be missing.

The attached pic is the closest pic i was able to take yesterday.. right corner you can see 2 dried blood marks... ill get better pics today.

Thanks for helping a scared guy make sure momma can get back with her kiddos!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Rehabbing squirrel is bleeding from tail...

Was able to get some more pics, since momma loves my cat... and my cat thinks squirrels are just derpy cats.... so pardon the knocked cat ear, as it was only way to get a closeup and get momma to come close to me.

No blood yet today, they just all woke up and started their morning 'lets get heckin fat' time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In my experience, these tail injuries heal quite well by themselves. The thing to watch for of course is whether mamma is chewing on it herself because there is a nerve issue that bothers her, or because she feels it may hamper her movements and slow her down when escaping a predator.

Question:

Does she move the tail properly? I know it's been partially amputated but does it appear that she has proper muscle control of it? If the tail is dragging it will cause her to try chewing it off -- this can be life threatening so that's why I am harping on it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (05-15-2022), CritterMom (05-15-2022), gerbel (05-16-2022)

Shes able to move her tail, though its still healing from the fracture to the base of the tail.
    I had the vet monitor her 3x to make sure that what im seeing as movement is correct.

Today, there hasnt been any blood yet... and i think its just her chewing off the scabs from her amputation a few weeks back.

Thanks for the response, as i was worrying about the right stuff without knowing the who/what/when/etc.

While she doesnt have super normal tail movement, she also doesnt full have the strength to deal with her back legs either.... she gets tired out and then lounges.
    I'll keep monitoring from a far... so she can stay calm.

Update from vet :

Her sugery vet got a mound of pics and the info provided here. She said that she looks healthy, and if there are no other days of new 'injuries', then there isnt a need to bring her in.

Also, to help from being 'that guy' that hounds the forum over anything and everything, she wants me to send any Qs i have via email... to check up on how shes doing... and to make sure shes rehabbing the best way possible!

Will give updates on my welcome thread, so people like me that find this place can learn like i did.

Thanks again guys!

Feel free to ask questions - that is why this place is here!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

The Nut Lady (05-16-2022)