Thread: Heart rate fast!

Default Heart rate fast!

Hi all,
    I have a 6 week old that has started breathing fast. You can see it and hear it. Her appetite has changed. Normally she'll take her formula within 6 hours. She doesn't want her formula or anything else like blocks either. I put a little honey on my finger and she licked it right up, and she seemed a little perked up. But now she is just acting lethargic and wants to to go back to sleep. I am worried she might be ill. Earlier today her syringe did slip and formula but was swallowed. I'm just worried about possible aspiration. I didn't see any formula go into her nose at the time, but I did tilt her forward just in case. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Heart rate fast!

Her weight is 225g. Has been eating normally, and gaining weight. She takes 12ml of fv formula every 4-6 hours. and then sleeps through the night. I don't know what is causing this fast heart rate. I don't think there is clicking but I am not 100% sure. It sounds like 'tick tick tick tick ' from her breathing fast.

I am listening again and it's definitely clicking with each breath. Please help I have some Baytril 10% liquid on hand. 225 g weight and 6 weeks old.

Hi, hang in there, hopefully one of the admins will see this soon and private message you with advice/dosing for meds. Praying your baby holds on or isn't in as dire straits as you fear.

EDIT: Are you hearing this sound from a bin or container, or when you hold the baby? If you hold the baby like a phone up to your ear and hear the clicking with each breath, you may be right about AP. You did right to post the weight and what you have available. I don't know about meds. In case that one is not indicated for AP, start asking everyone you know asap (like as soon as you think they're awake) what they may have. Hopefully someone here will tell you asap which ab you need.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Ktbnin1133 (05-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ktbnin1133 View Post
    I am listening again and it's definitely clicking with each breath. Please help I have some Baytril 10% liquid on hand. 225 g weight and 6 weeks old.
    Check your private message in a minute, I'll work this up....

Last edited by stepnstone; 05-14-2022 at 02:56 AM. Reason: > message/dosing sent
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Chirps (05-14-2022), CritterMom (05-14-2022), island rehabber (05-14-2022), Ktbnin1133 (05-14-2022), The Nut Lady (05-14-2022), TubeDriver (05-14-2022)

Yay step!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Ktbnin1133 (Yesterday), stepnstone (05-14-2022)