Thread: Do squirrels get Covid or Strep?

Default Do squirrels get Covid or Strep?

I tested positive today for Covid and Strep. Does anyone know if squirrels can be infected by Covid or Strep? I want to make sure I don't spread either to my 6 year old Ashley (Eastern Gray).
    Obviously, no squirrel sugar until I'm clear but should I minimize contact or are we safe?

Default Re: Do squirrels get Covid or Strep?

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline View Post
    I tested positive today for Covid and Strep. Does anyone know if squirrels can be infected by Covid or Strep? I want to make sure I don't spread either to my 6 year old Ashley (Eastern Gray).
    Obviously, no squirrel sugar until I'm clear but should I minimize contact or are we safe?
    Good heavens, both? Aren't YOU the over-achiever! It is very likely that they can get covid - it has been seen in other rodents. Strep I don't know. I would treat her like another family member - limit contact and wear a mask around her, wash your hands before you pet her. Animals mostly don't seem to get terribly ill from it but it is better safe than sorry.

Take care of yourself. Call your doc and see if they can give you a script for Paxlovid.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Centerline (05-02-2022), island rehabber (05-03-2022)

Default Re: Do squirrels get Covid or Strep?

Thanks for the info Crittermom. So far I'm just having a mild case and I have an antibiotic for he Strep. I will just let Ashley free roam and keep my distance from her as best as possible.