Thread: Latest Formula Recommendations?

Default Latest Formula Recommendations?

I'll be getting a couple of babies soon for the first time in several years. At the gathering we discussed different recommended formula types and expiration/manufactured dates being safe.

What does everyone recommend to use for 4 weekers? I know people have their preferences, but looking to get an idea of the changes in formulas.

As far as blocks go, HHB are vitamins, but veggies should be the main source and other blocks are supplements right? Or did I get that backwards. I remember everyone talking about how their squirrels would often waste veggies, but can't remember what exactly everyone said. With that said, what are the recommendations for non HHB blocks? At one point I was using Mazuri, but don't remember hearing anything about that in the Gathering!

Any and all help much appreciated! So much has changed since I've had babies!

Default Re: Latest Formula Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    I'll be getting a couple of babies soon for the first time in several years. At the gathering we discussed different recommended formula types and expiration/manufactured dates being safe.

What does everyone recommend to use for 4 weekers? I know people have their preferences, but looking to get an idea of the changes in formulas.

As far as blocks go, HHB are vitamins, but veggies should be the main source and other blocks are supplements right? Or did I get that backwards. I remember everyone talking about how their squirrels would often waste veggies, but can't remember what exactly everyone said. With that said, what are the recommendations for non HHB blocks? At one point I was using Mazuri, but don't remember hearing anything about that in the Gathering!

The Fox Valley 20/50 is supposed to be for 4 weeks + but I would dilute it and work up to full strength carefully. We have had a lot of babies have real issues with it after being transitioned from esbilac. If they are on esbilac now, I would get some of that to start them out and go very, very slowly with a transition to the FV. Don't get the FV 32/40.

For adult squirrels, 2-3 HHBs per day, fresh veggies and limited fruits. Babies obviously are going to eat less. I also always offer the Teklad blocks so they can always have some solid food in the enclosure if they want it. The HHBs go bad quickly because they have no preservatives, but you can leave the Teklad in until they are eaten. Best place to get them is ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...eklad&_sacat=0 For young ones you want the 18% protein, for adults, drop down to the 14%. BTW, the 2 pound bag is a LOT of blocks.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

DarkLies212 (04-27-2022), island rehabber (04-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The Fox Valley 20/50 is supposed to be for 4 weeks + but I would dilute it and work up to full strength carefully. We have had a lot of babies have real issues with it after being transitioned from esbilac. If they are on esbilac now, I would get some of that to start them out and go very, very slowly with a transition to the FV. Don't get the FV 32/40.

For adult squirrels, 2-3 HHBs per day, fresh veggies and limited fruits. Babies obviously are going to eat less. I also always offer the Teklad blocks so they can always have some solid food in the enclosure if they want it. The HHBs go bad quickly because they have no preservatives, but you can leave the Teklad in until they are eaten. Best place to get them is ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...eklad&_sacat=0 For young ones you want the 18% protein, for adults, drop down to the 14%. BTW, the 2 pound bag is a LOT of blocks.
    Thank you!! They're on GM temp formula right now, but before I ordered FV I just wanted to double check that it's still okay to use. I'll avoid the Esbilac totally.

And thank you for the block link! I used to have rats at the same time I rehabbed in the past, so I was always buying 50lb bags of blocks. The 2# is going to be so much more manageable

Take at least a few days to do a full transition to the FV from the goats milk. Fresh goats milk formula has very few solids, the FV has a lot of solids and if you go too fast, you are going to see bloat and constipation.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

DarkLies212 (04-28-2022), Tuff (04-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post

Oh it's so good to see you 😍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

DarkLies212 (04-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Oh it's so good to see you 😍
    Thank you! I've tried to become more active in the past couple of months, but have had so much going on that I couldn't keep up time to add babies to the mix and amp up that level of crazy!