Thread: Backyard squirrel with dental malocclusion ( NY )

Default Backyard squirrel with dental malocclusion ( NY )

A new squirrel started hanging out in my yard today that has a really long bottom tooth that cuts the outside of his face. He spent most of the day on my window sill eating the peanuts that I put there and wasn't intimated by anyone coming right up to window. The local wildlife rehabilitation centers said they would have to put him down if I brought him to them.

I would like to help this poor little guy have a chance in life. Any advice on how to catch and befriend him. I would like to trim his teeth regularly and let him live in the yard. I have a little bit of experience with trimming teeth on a rabbit, but I understand that a squirrel has a much more powerful bite. I want to help and avoid getting badly hurt.

Default Re: Backyard squirrel with dental malocclusion

Oh, that poor baby. I am afraid that you would be able to trim him ONCE and then he would leave your yard to avoid having it done again. Unfortunately they don't understand that we are trying to help them. Which would mean he would have to become a captive squirrel in order to give him follow up trims, because this tooth is truly growing in an unnatural direction and it isn't going to just right itself with one tooth trim...

What if I had a vet extract the tooth?

They normally use their top teeth to hold hard food and stabilize it in their mouth, and the bottom teeth to actually open the nut and shave pieces off to eat. But it is apparent that this guy has learned to manage with just one lower tooth because that one is absolutely useless to him.

It might work if you could swing it. I am guessing he would need to be held inside for several days at least after the surgery.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to call my vet to see if they can do it. If so, I'll figure out how to catch him. My son name named him Saber because of his tooth.

My husband said he'd work some overtime to make sure we can pay for the surgery. Hopefully, the vet can board Saber for a few days to keep him safe. If not, we make space for him here until he can be released in the backyard.

I'll keep you posted.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McKay:

AnaMM (04-25-2022), CritterMom (04-23-2022)

The vet said they can't treat wild animals. I'm at a loss of what to do. For now, I'll just keep feeding him and hope for the best.

If you don't have a vet willing to treat him or local rehabbers willing to take this on, you have 2 options. The first is to capture him him, trim teeth and keep him inside for a ~month to see if his teeth reset and start self-wearing. If they do, he can be released although I would prefer to keep him inside for a while longer to confirm that he is good to go. The second option (or the option if his teeth do not reset after you have trimmed them) is to have him euthanized. This may sound heartless but that tooth will begin curling back and it will eventually lead to a slow, lingering, painful death. It would be better for him to pass painlessly than to suffer in agony.

While in theory it might be possible to bring in an adult wild and keep him as a NR while trimming his teeth regularly, as an adult wild he may never accept that and not many folks would be willing to attempt such a plan.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you and your friend.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Default Re: Backyard squirrel with dental malocclusion ( NY )

I have some great news! I found a wildlife rescue that will help Saber. I ordered a live animal trap that will arrive tomorrow. They said as soon as I trap him, I can call to get a same-day or next-day appointment.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McKay:

stepnstone (04-28-2022), sundoesshine (04-27-2022), TubeDriver (04-27-2022)

Will they remove it or just trim it off? And will they return him to you so he can be released in his HOME?

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

stepnstone (04-28-2022), TubeDriver (04-27-2022)

The plan is to make sure Saber can be released back home. Hopefully, the doctor can make that happen (we'll know once he's caught and evaluated). We will pay for any surgeries necessary. Right now, I know he's in pain. I could see blood on his face when he was eating the other day. I will do everything within my power to help Saber have a healthy and happy life.

15. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McKay:

Chirps (04-29-2022), CritterMom (04-29-2022), SugarMom (04-29-2022), sundoesshine (04-29-2022), TubeDriver (04-29-2022)

That is wonderful. He certainly chose the right backyard to move into! Please keep us posted.

I haven't seen Saber since Thursday. I'm worried, but keeping my hopes up. The trap definitely work, because the other yard squirrels have tested it out. I'll keep trying.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McKay:

stepnstone (05-05-2022), sundoesshine (05-06-2022)