Thread: 3 little grays

Default 3 little grays

Doing my normal morning walk Sunday. I always visit with a big dog in a fenced in yard. Daisy May and she is a 100 pound + Boxer. She wouldn't come to me at the fence so I walked up the drive to see her and she was playing with something. Of course closer viewing, it was a baby squirrel. I went in the yard and she gave it to me. I looked around the area and 2 more were balled up in the grass. I put them all in my shirt and looked for a mom, a nest, a hole in the tree, anything. There was nobody home, so I was on my own. I couldn't leave them or Daisy would have accidentally played with them till death. I brought them home and put them in an aquarium with a 40 watt light over it and a T shirt to nest in. Read what we could and mixed water, salt and sugar and with an eye dropper gave them some of that. Later that day I got some pedilac ( I think) and we gave them that Sunday. Monday I got Ebsilac in the can with probiotics and we started giving them that. Not dosing properly but making sure they were drinking it and trying not to give them too much. Had a terrible time trying to feed but no choke them with formula. Finally using a plastic eye dropper we were able to slowly let out a little at a time. I got syringes from the local pet store, but they were not O ring type and hard to control. Got an O ring type but it is big and that is what I used the last day. I got small O ring syringes at Walmart today so that should help. I have the small ones ordered from Henri's along with FV formula. I estimate these guys to be 5-6 weeks old.

2 are big and healthy, one is a runt. I guess that is natures way, the strong survive. Nature is not in control now, we are and we want that runt to grow and thrive. To keep the bad boys from stomping all over him, we put him in a separate cage next to the big cage. We allow them time together during feeding. The BB's are 115 and 126 grams. Runt is only 78, but he is eating good. He had a "sore" on his side which I think was a puncture from Daisy May. It has healed pretty good, although it is still kind of lump. We wish we could put them all together, but we don't want the runt beat up. What about that?

I got a rodent block and broke pieces off and put in each cage. We also put in carrot and bread crust, but so far they are not eating any of that. After reading here, I took out everything but the block.. I would like to get them going with some solid food so they are not so dependent on formula. Would they or should they have a taste of peanut butter? How about a Reese's Cup? How about for me?
    Should they have a water bottle or any other nutritional stuff besides formula? Possibly they are getting on to 7 weeks old.

I do have a light for warming, is that really bad, it is outside the cage and just shines into a corner of each cage where they snuggle in a T shirt. How long will they need extra heat? I guess we could use a heating pad if this is risky. I'll put some pix in a follow up thread.

My daughter is a doctor and says we should wear gloves, be aware of rabies, etc. Is there any concern for rabies? Will they bite as they get bigger? Any and all tips are very appreciated.

mattb

Default Re: 3 little grays

cage
    Name:  squirrel cage.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  182.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220417_154226164.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  125.4 KB

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mattb from:

McCarthy (04-22-2022)

Hi! Awww, precious babies! Thanks for rescuing them! They are going to need formula for quite a bit longer. At this age they will just be experimenting with tasting and shredding the block, eating a bit more as time goes. You don't want to give them anything else to eat until they actually start EATING the block consistently, then start introducing veggies from the healthy foods list. Formula is best. As long as they're eating that they're getting all the proper nutrition. Some people here even have adult squirrels who enjoy some formula.

A heating pad is better than the light. In those bird cages, the heat won't do much for them unless they're right under it. Also a heating pad needs to be the non automatic shutoff kind, and needs to be under half the container so they can move away from it if it gets too hot for them. Do you have any plastic storage totes? You might put them next to each other with the heating pad under the middle so Runt has his own and everyone has a warm area and a cooler area.

I hope an expert sees this and tells you more, but this I do know-- no to the Reese's Cup for the kids, YES to the Reese's Cup for you!

Also, while squirrels CAN get rabies, it is so rare that they are NOT a rabies vector species, and there is no documentation of a squirrel ever passing rabies to a human, so no worries there. They are all different, but most will nip and play bite from what people describe when they get older.

EDIT: If you haven't seen it, the link to baby squirrel care is in my signature. Cheers!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

McCarthy (04-22-2022)

Yes, in addition to using a heating pad UNDER the cage, please throw a blanket or throw over the two cages leaving just a small part of one side open. Baby squirrels live inside a dark, protected nest until their mama finally starts to allow them to peek out at about 9 weeks old. Being out in the open like this is very unnatural and intimidating for them.

As far as solid food is concerned, the reason we begin offering it at 6 weeks or so is more to adjust them to what it is, what it looks like and hopefully for them to nibble on it and grow to like it. Baby squirrels, as I said above, are in the nest, with NOTHING to eat other than mamas milk until they are right about 10 weeks old. You are going to want to continue feeding them formula as long as they are willing to take it - never try to force weaning. The formula has all the stuff they need to grow and develop and they will do all of that better the longer they are taking their formula.

We have seen lots of problems with the canned liquid esbilac in the past and recommend the POWDERED puppy esbilac. That said, if they are eating it well and not having diarrhea, it should be okay. When you get the Fox Valley, do NOT abruptly change formula or you will have all kinds of problems. You need to transition to it over several days, adding increasing small amounts of the FV to your esbilac formula until you have switched completely over, while watching very carefully for loose poops, constipation, bloating, etc.

It is very likely your little runt will need to be kept separate from his sibs. You can try but usually of they are separated at some point, the removed one will never be accepted back without being bullied. If you attempt this, you must make absolutely certain he isn't getting beaten up.

What size is the small syringe you got from Walmart, and what did you order from Henrys?

And no, rabies won't be an issue, and no, they are not rabies vector species. I have never worn gloves and most rehabbers don't. In fact I can see gloves being something that might entice them to try a nibble!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

McCarthy (04-22-2022)

1 cc syringes from Walmart and also in the order I have coming from Henri's. When the new formula comes we'll gradually add it to the Esbilac,

thanks

mattb

HA! I had 3 greys sitting on me today as well. At the same time. Fully grown, food aggressive and hating each other. I'll be walking around with a bunch of scratches for the next few days.

We hope to get these guys back to nature as soon as possible. We don't want pets. I have woods behind my house and squirrels I feed everyday. I can usually see 10-15 running or climbing in the area. Most will come to me and take peanuts when I whistle. Several will take them from my fingers. Food is always there for squirrels and deer. I can' t coax deer to be hand fed. Young ones have come within 5-10 foot of me when I put food in their bucket. We just hope we can assimilate these babies into our backyard woods.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mattb from:

McCarthy (04-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    We hope to get these guys back to nature as soon as possible. We don't want pets. I have woods behind my house and squirrels I feed everyday. I can usually see 10-15 running or climbing in the area. Most will come to me and take peanuts when I whistle. Several will take them from my fingers. Food is always there for squirrels and deer. I can' t coax deer to be hand fed. Young ones have come within 5-10 foot of me when I put food in their bucket. We just hope we can assimilate these babies into our backyard woods.
    A soft release should work beautifully in your setting! Keep the cage closed outside for at least 3 weeks so they can get to know each other and watch the wilds.

My gang are not pets either, as a matter of facts, I live with them and they consider me to be their pet, and property.

PS: don't forget to post more photos.

All 3 are feeding good. Today I picked a piece of Maple tree sprout and put in with them. It has seed pods/helicopters on it. They seem to like it and are nibbling at the stem and the pods a little. Today for the first time they are climbing all over the cage and not just sleeping in between eating. We are feeding about every 4 hours about 4 times a day. A little less than the 7% formula calls for, but one had diarhea yesterday, so we lightened up on the formula intake. We are doing more like 5% now.

Are the maple seed pods OK for the 2 big guys. I estimate them at 6 maybe 7 weeks now.

thanks for all the help and info.

mattb

Squirrels LOVE maple seed pods. Just be sure to change out for fresh ones frequently. It's a pretty short window for them to be appealing to the squirrels. My wilds gobble them up while they can.

thanks for your quick reply

Had these guys nearly 2 weeks now. Big guys are strong and staying awake a lot more. They are eating apple and bread crusts, strawberries, just a bit of most stuff we put in. The runt is eating good (formula), but still small and sleeping most of the time.
    I kind of think they must be 7-8 weeks now. Feedings are 4 times a day about 10-14 cc.

Still have both cages partially on a heating pad. I wonder if that is still necessary. Maybe for the runt, but the big guys seem to warm each other pretty well. I have a bigger cage and really would like to put the big ones on the porch outside in another week or two during the daytime. Maybe the runt next to them in the smaller cage. Bring them in at nite and to feed. Is that a good plan for 8-10 weeks old?

I appreciate the help from this forum.

mb

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mattb from:

McCarthy (04-29-2022)

I think these guys are probably about 8 weeks old now. The runt weighs 118, the two bigger guys 180. runt still takes 6-8, sometimes 9-10 cc of formula 4 times a day. He doesn't eat much else, but did chew up a tasty block yesterday and has nibbled of bread crusts.

The bigger guys were taking 10-12 cc 4 times a day, but mostly the last day or two they might take 5-7 and just stop. They are also nibbling on lettuce, beans, toast, apple,strawberries, broccoli or whatever else we give them. They don't inhale the food but nibble from time to time. Is it possible the bigger guys just don't want as much formula as the last 3-4 days ago? They are climbing and jumping around plenty.

thanks

advice needed

These guys are probably about 9 weeks now. The runt is still maybe 2/3 size of the big one. Biggest, baddest one must be a female, She does not want anything to mess with her, especially in the nest box. Try to pick her up for feedings she fusses and runs away, but is happy to eat when she gets out. In her box she will strike and bite if you try to get her out. Yesterday she got out on top the cage and when I got her, I had to hold pretty tight to keep her from getting away. She sank a tooth deep in my finger. I stopped at one of the med offices I used to wok with and got a tetanus shot and some Kapflex in case it gets infected. She is eating most anything we put in the cage from veggies to yard and tree pickings. Still taking 10-15cc of formula 2-3 times a day.

The next biggest (boy) is a nice guy and loves to come out and visit. He eats good 2-3 times a day and all the stuff we put in the cage. The big bad just has to fight and dominate this easy going guy, although he does fight back.

The run is till taking formula 2- 3 times a day. Eating some regular food, also, not as much as the big guys. He is in a cage next to theirs. They want to beat him up any time they are together.

I quit worrying about feedings. I try 3 times a day every 5-6 hours and if they don't want to eat, I put them back in the cage. Sometimes they eat and sometimes not. I am thinking of moving the big cage to the porch next week for a week or so and then back to my shelter house at the woods. That would be about week 10-11 outside and 11-12 in the shelter house. After a few days in the shelter house, leaving the cage open. I really don't think this big squirrel can take being cage for another 6-7 weeks and I don't want to fight with her every day. The runt I figure to keep as long as needed to grow and be strong.

Any advice on a mean squirrel, the cut back feeding schedule and release at 11-12 weeks?

I responded to this post in the other thread you started, and just reread this thread. I notice you didn't mention any kind of squirrel or rodent block as part of their diet unless I missed it. Are they getting some kind of block? Something from Henry's, Harlan Teklad, or Mazuri?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

McCarthy (05-14-2022)

They are like human kids, not all develop equally fast or with the same outcome. Give the little one more time. If she is inflicting harm to the others, she needs to go into a separate cage, or you may put a divider into the cage.

I'd give them 2 to 3 weeks in the release cage, at your shelter house, before opening it, no need to rush it. If the little one is still "lacking", delay his release. If he shows issues jumping / crawling / foraging for food on the ground / getting up a tree when others warn, you may have a NR.

Thanks so much for your reply. I put some formula in a saucer today and the big one went right to it, the other two didn't pay attention to it while I was watching. I will continue to do it, though.

They are eating tasty blocks, apple, lettuce, pole beans, broccoli. toast, yesterday I gave them sunflower seeds like I feed outside. I am thinking of cracking some corn. My wild squirrels eat corn all day, I really appreciate your help.

Saturday update. Sunday will be the 6th week since I found these guys. I think they were 5-6 weeks old when I found them, so they are now 11-12 weeks The runt is still no more than 2/3 size of the big ones and in a separate cage. Took the big cage and squirrels out to the shelter house Thurs. Got up Fri and they had chewed a hole in the plastic pan and got out. Both were scampering around the rafters . Biggest on took off and I lost track of her Good boy stayed in the rafters and moved all around most of the day, venturing out on the ground and up a tree. just a little. Saw big one climbing around and then lost her again. Later in the day she made a nest in a tree close by. She was gone this morn, but a little later was back working on the nest again. She isn't crazy about handling and while not scared has not been handled for a few weeks.. Good boy drug some ivy into an empty aquarium and probably figured to spend the nite there. After dark I went out and checked and he was still kind of roaming in the rafters. I picked him up and put him back in the cage and in his box, the closed and locked the door for the nite. This morning he was up early and ready to go. He jumped on me as soon as I opened the cage. He climbed around the rafters and then up a tree close by. He scampered around the limbs a bit then came down and went to the house and investigated the porch and around the side of the house. I lost track of him at that time. I hope he comes back for a couple days to a safe night place. They are eating anything I give them and I think they will survive just fine as log as a predator doesn't get them.

I will keep the runt as long as needed for her to grow bigger and stronger so she can survive.

I appreciate the help I have received.

This all sounds great! You did it!

Been about 5 days outside now and both the bigger squirrels seem to be fine outside. Good boy has his nest box in the rafters of the shelter house and is around there a big part of the time. If I walk in there he usually comes to me and wants to be picked up. The bad girl is in a Poplar tree about 15 foot from the house. She built a leaf nest but it wasn't very good and with a storm coming 2 days ago, I figured to make her a nest box. I did that and put it close to the leaf nest. She went to it right away and it is her home for now. She comes to get food, but I don't handle her. A raccoon tore the stuffing out of the good boys nest box two nites straight. This morning I made a kind of tunnel that is too small for a coon to get thru. Good boy should be safer and not have his house tore up and food stolen anymore. Not sure how long they will stay here, but I am happy they have survived and are OK.

The little runt is still in a cage and growing, but she is just 2/3 the size of the big ones and not nearly as strong. We will take care of her until we think she can survive in the wild She is ready to get out of the cage anytime and climb on the cage or just set on your shoulder.