Thread: 7 babies! Any rehabbers near Chicago?

Exclamation 7 babies! Any rehabbers near Chicago?

I have 7 (!) approx 4 week old grey squirrels. My husband works for a solar company that had 2 nests that had to be removed and the home owners were not willing to relocate the babies on the property. Out of desperation my husband brought them home to me.

I have successfully raised babies in the past and thankfully had the correct milk on hand. But I also have 3 very young children, including a 4 month old human baby. 7 babies is a little more than I can handle long term till release.

Would love to find a rehabber that has the availability to foster them.

Also would love to hear any suggestions on how to handle situations like this in the future. My husband is new to this company and I’m sure this won’t be the last time a nest has to be removed. We absolutely hate it, but when the adult squirrels are chewing up $40k systems it doesn’t make for very cooperative home owners.

Default Re: 7 babies! Any rehabbers near Chicago?

I'd be willing to take 3, but I'm in central Florida, that's a 15 to 19 hour drive, one way. Do you know anybody that is going to make a trip down south any time soon?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

Sary519 (04-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    I'd be willing to take 3, but I'm in central Florida, that's a 15 to 19 hour drive, one way. Do you know anybody that is going to make a trip down south any time soon?
    Unfortunately I don’t know anyone going that way. Thank you so much for the offer tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Sary519 View Post
    Unfortunately I don’t know anyone going that way. Thank you so much for the offer tho!
    Did you find a rehabber?

Maybe you can ask around within family and friends if anybody is going to drive down to Georgia, South Carolina or Florida, so we could meet in the middle.

These squirrel babies are lucky you and your husband are helping them. Thank you! I'm not a rehabber but wanted to pass on the info for the Willowbrook Wildlife Center. They have a link of local rehabbers in the area. I'm in the Chicago area myself and have brought a baby raccoon there and an injured bird. They do great work and are always super helpful. Thank you again for your efforts and your kind heart!

https://www.dupageforest.org/willowb.../baby-squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Did you find a rehabber?

Maybe you can ask around within family and friends if anybody is going to drive down to Georgia, South Carolina or Florida, so we could meet in the middle.
    I haven’t found anyone yet. I could a few rehabbers on the DNR list, as well as 2 of the local wildlife centers. Unfortunately all of my family here in Chicago has no plans to travel anytime soon. I’m going to keep going through the DNR list, I’ve been starting with the closest. They’re doing really well, the 7 squirrels, 3 children and I, have our system down for feeding times lol So we’re managing in the meantime.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sary519 from:

McCarthy (04-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by The Nut Lady View Post
    These squirrel babies are lucky you and your husband are helping them. Thank you! I'm not a rehabber but wanted to pass on the info for the Willowbrook Wildlife Center. They have a link of local rehabbers in the area. I'm in the Chicago area myself and have brought a baby raccoon there and an injured bird. They do great work and are always super helpful. Thank you again for your efforts and your kind heart!

https://www.dupageforest.org/willowb.../baby-squirrel

Thank you so much! They’re in my list to call today! Hopefully they’ll know of someone with an opening. I know everyone seems to be pretty full this time of the year.