Thread: Hello All!

Exclamation Hello All!

Hi All!

Thank you for accepting me into the group!

I'm just an animal loving homeowner in a wooded lot on the outside of Chicago near O'Hare airport. I started paying attention to the squirrels when they (unsurprisingly) started eating all my birdseed

During the start of COVID when we were all working at home, a little fox squirrel started coming to the window in our dining room where my husband was working. He started feeding him from the nuts that he ate for breakfast. When hubby went back to the office, I was still home. Amazingly, our little buddy - who I named Red - found me in my office! Daily visits were anxiously anticipated - and in June, I was able to get him (which I now know is a HER) to come to me outside. A few months later, I got her to climb my leg to get a nut. It's been an amazing journey and Red knows her name and often magically appears when called (not always).

Unfortunately, I had to go back to the office once vaccinated - so I didn't get to see her as often, but we still have our bond. I do believe she had babies last fall that were around the yard, but I only see one left. I have named HIM Junior. Of course I don't know FOR SURE that it's her's but based on his mannerisms and smarts (already comes to the windows just like mama) - I have a pretty good idea that it is her baby.

Anyway - last Saturday (3/26) Red was over, and I got her to take nuts off my outstretched legs while sitting on the doorstep. She was looking good, though she's starting to look older. She eats til she's had enough and goes on her way. It's always a nice visit. I love her like she's my real pet (I call her my outdoor pet).

I saw her a few days last week, and she was fine. I didn't see her Friday - so imagine my surprise when I saw her on Saturday 4/2 and she had a bunch of hair missing! I thought she was cut or scratched, but noticed the baldness was symmetrical on both sides just behind her front legs. I was in tears to see her like this - but she seemed OK. Sunday, she was over and was a little worse and I noticed small sores that are probably from scratching so much. I saw that she was scratching a lot and biting at herself.

This morning, I noticed a strip along her back and head that is starting to look bare too.

In my Facebook squirrel group, they suggested that it could be mange. I contacted a local rehabilitation place (DuPage County - Willowbrook) - and they said to catch her and bring her in. There's no way that will happen - she's too smart. I don't have a trap anyway, and when they said that they would release her elsewhere once treated (if possible) - I thought NO WAY. She needs to come HOME. Releasing her somewhere else is pretty much killing her.

Been doing some research and think it could also be dermatophytosis - but I have no idea how to tell and be 100% sure. I did try to soak some nuts in coconut oil, but she won't eat them. (She's pretty spoiled). I want her to get better and certainly don't want her to die (obviously I know that it will happen eventually). I haven't noticed this in any other squirrels in the yard (fox or grey)....

The attached photos are from Saturday, and the ones through the window and after are from this morning. She really was (is) a BEAUTIFUL squirrel.... and she means SO MUCH to me. The amount of joy she's brought is unmeasurable...and the things she's made me learn about squirrels in general are priceless. I want to do right by her. I need help.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Trish; 04-05-2022 at 03:52 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: Hello All!

If it is mange, the conventional treatment for it in squirrels involves the use of Ivermectin. You could get that into her with treats.

If not, they can be trapped with a proper live trap and bait like chocolate. And that's what I would do in order to treat her at home. As a matter of facts, I would be able to trap her by luring her inside a car or house.

That being said, you will need to buy a good, commercial grade trap, get good gloves for handling rodents, build a cage, and learn how to handle a wild squirrel. This won't be easy for somebody with no experiences. They are strong, they will resist being handled, they will bite, they will claw, and she may distrust you after.

For most medication, chances are you will have to find a local vet that is willing to see and treat a wild squirrel, unless we can make out here on the forum, with certainty, what the issue is and medication is available without prescription.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

gerbel (05-22-2022)

I believe this is most likely mange. Dermatophytosis doesn't cause skin irritation - mange does. The easiest way to treat this is with equine ivermectin paste. I *think* it has been restocked at places after the nonsense of using it to treat covid in humans, unfortunately for a LOT more money than it used to be.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...%20evermectin? The first, third and last item on the page is what you want - JUST 1.87% ivermectin with no other added drugs. Buy the cheapest one. Lord, I used to get this online for my horse for $2.99 a tube... You can check other online horse supply places and if you have any local agricultural businesses like Tractor Supply they may have it too.

In any rate, you want some pecan halves. Using a toothpick, tease a tiny bit of the paste the size of an UNCOOKED grain of rice - it is a very small amount - and mash it into the grooves in the back of the pecan and toss it to Red. Most of it is pleasantly flavored like apple or molasses so your horse won't spit it in your face, so they usually gobble it right up. Redose using the same amount in 7-10 days, and a third time 7-10 days after that. It only kills adult mange mites so the redose is timed to kill adults as they hatch from existing eggs on her. Watch her son - he may very well need treatment too.

If it is mange and I think it is, it works very quickly. Once they start to die off the itching slows down and she will stop tearing herself up. Poor baby.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (04-05-2022), gerbel (05-22-2022), RockyPops (04-06-2022)

She looks exactly like a lot of my yard crew right now. Most of them started with the armpit/behind the shoulders hair loss. Have been treating them when they show up and I have prepped pecans on my person. It's been hard keeping track of who's due for the next dose, but they're mostly done. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the fur to grow back. You should have no trouble dosing her. It might be harder to actually find Ivermectin than to treat her once you do.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-06-2022)

Mira34 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I believe this is most likely mange. Dermatophytosis doesn't cause skin irritation - mange does. The easiest way to treat this is with equine ivermectin paste. I *think* it has been restocked at places after the nonsense of using it to treat covid in humans, unfortunately for a LOT more money than it used to be.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...%20evermectin? The first, third and last item on the page is what you want - JUST 1.87% ivermectin with no other added drugs. Buy the cheapest one. Lord, I used to get this online for my horse for $2.99 a tube... You can check other online horse supply places and if you have any local agricultural businesses like Tractor Supply they may have it too.

In any rate, you want some pecan halves. Using a toothpick, tease a tiny bit of the paste the size of an UNCOOKED grain of rice - it is a very small amount - and mash it into the grooves in the back of the pecan and toss it to Red. Most of it is pleasantly flavored like apple or molasses so your horse won't spit it in your face, so they usually gobble it right up. Redose using the same amount in 7-10 days, and a third time 7-10 days after that. It only kills adult mange mites so the redose is timed to kill adults as they hatch from existing eggs on her. Watch her son - he may very well need treatment too.

If it is mange and I think it is, it works very quickly. Once they start to die off the itching slows down and she will stop tearing herself up. Poor baby.
    So where can I buy those medicines?

Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this