Hello!

My mentor and I have found ourselves with a possible 9-10 week old Fox Squirrel. I say possible because it is missing a lot of the milestones of a squirrel that age. First, the top teeth have just started poking through, bottom teeth are fine. Second, this babe is very uncoordinated. By this age, most of my previous squirrels were jumping and climbing and being, well, squirrely. This one is not. When it walks on a flat surface its back feet make a thudding sound (think angry skunk or a hopping rabbit). Back feet will move separately so it's not actually hopping. Spatial awareness is another concern. It can't seem to judge the space between the bars and where to put its paws to grab the next bar, or in the picture attached, the cage has shelves for climbing purposes and to put food/water bowls in. In the process of walking past it, the gap between the edge of the shelf and the water bowl was too narrow. She fell off the shelf (10-inch drop at most). Lastly, she cries like looking for a parent and seems to be stargazing.

We're at a loss. Being in Michigan and our never-ending winter, the babies should be maybe 4 weeks old at this point, if that old. Is it possible that somehow a squirrel got pregnant in December? Could this Fox Squirrel be a dwarf squirrel? Any suggestions on what to do next?

Weight 225g
Found: Finder's backyard

Thank you!!!

Name:  20220326_202955.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  58.8 KB