Thread: Can I release a imprinted squirrel?

Default Can I release a imprinted squirrel?

I volunteer at a Florida wildlife rescue and someone brought in a squirrel which she had for about 1 1/2 years as a pet. The squirrel has turned aggressive so she gave it to us. Is is possible to "wild up" the squirrel and release it? I have a big cage in my yard and was thinking about putting it in with another squirrel which I've had as a baby. This squirrel will be ready to release in 3-4 weeks. Could I put them together for a couple of weeks and release them together?

Default Re: Can I release a imprinted squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by sue.silber View Post
    I volunteer at a Florida wildlife rescue and someone brought in a squirrel which she had for about 1 1/2 years as a pet. The squirrel has turned aggressive so she gave it to us. Is is possible to "wild up" the squirrel and release it? I have a big cage in my yard and was thinking about putting it in with another squirrel which I've had as a baby. This squirrel will be ready to release in 3-4 weeks. Could I put them together for a couple of weeks and release them together?

With an outdoor cage and a soft release it should be no problem. The truth is they are all wild, its ingrained in their DNA. Just because they are all sweet and cuddly at times or when being young doesn't mean that they have lost the desire or skill to live in nature.

If you put them together in one cage, give them time to acclimate in 2 smaller cages first. Move them closer together over the course of a week or so.

If they get along so far, move them together into the large cage at the same time, so nobody considers this to be his / her territory first and becomes defensive when the other one moves in.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

island rehabber (04-03-2022), KCullen (07-26-2022)

Default Re: Can I release a imprinted squirrel?

Thanks so much!