Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible broken spine at base of tail

Default Re: Possible broken spine at base of tail

You guys are doing a good job.

He will need time to settle and calm down. Does he have a nesting box in that cage?

Once the wounds have healed a bit, I'd consult a local vet on his tail and any other issues he may find.

Can you take and upload photos of his wounds?

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Binkers mom (04-18-2022), sundoesshine (04-19-2022)

I put the soft cozy cube in the cage with flannel cloth inside...he grew up in that and it is soft and more accessible... He is calming a little....he knows my voice and lets me pet him a little through the wire with a toothbrush....just worried about the stress he is having. He looks tired. Going to let him relax for a while ....another cold wet night coming so he will be more comfortable inside at least...
    I will try to get some pictures...thanks for the help and support.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

McCarthy (04-18-2022), sundoesshine (04-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkers mom View Post
    I put the soft cozy cube in the cage with flannel cloth inside...he grew up in that and it is soft and more accessible... He is calming a little....he knows my voice and lets me pet him a little through the wire with a toothbrush....just worried about the stress he is having. He looks tired. Going to let him relax for a while ....another cold wet night coming so he will be more comfortable inside at least...
    I will try to get some pictures...thanks for the help and support.
    Put a blanket over the cage giving him one side to look out. That way he isn't having to "protect himself" from attack on all sides. It will help him to settle down if he doesn't have stimuli from all sides.

The amoxicillin clavulanate is a good option...but I am not a big fan of the "shave a little off" dosing. Can you guesstimate his weight? I have trouble because the gray squirrels here in northern New England are huge. My last boy was right about at 2 pounds. The guy I have now is only 670 and I call him my "demi-squirrel" but he would be big by Florida standards! If you can give me a fair guess I can come up with a much more accurate dose.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Binkers mom (04-18-2022), McCarthy (04-18-2022), sundoesshine (04-19-2022)

Thank you! Any help is welcomed...I am dealing with my sick dog as well...he has cancer and needs alot of care and may not have much time left...and it's an extremely difficult time so my head isn't totally clear.
    I will attempt to get a weight...if i were to guess...1 1/2 lbs - 1 3/4 lbs..... to clarify the amount : its a very light dusting covering about 1/4 " diameter circle...

I just sent you dosing for 1.5 pounds - that is close enough. I have had folks from NJ up here to visit and they were amazed at the size of our squirrels so I doubt he is much bigger than that.

I'm so sorry about your dog.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Binkers mom (04-18-2022)

Thank you so much. Mr. FP is now in his cozy cube he is peeking out and taking food from me and eating it. He had a piece of cucumber and and I will not have with ibuprofen.. Hopefully my Henry's blocks will be here soon. I have some HT block's ice meered peanut butter on going to see if he'll eat that.
    We have another cold night with rain coming at least he'll be dry And warm he seems a little less stressed now.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

McCarthy (04-18-2022), sundoesshine (04-19-2022)

Update on Mr. FP. He made it through the night He ate a little bit this morning He ate some sunflower seeds and a couple of grapes but he hasn't touched his Vegetables. He did get his antibiotic and infant ibuprofen. He is comfortable in the cozy cube And showing nesting behaviors. But the best news.... It looks like his testicles and penis have improved tremendously overnight ... He came out to get a pecan Climb on the cage and I was able to see what's happening under there and it looks like it's healing!! He then proceeded to go to his water bowl and get a big drink of water before coming up and taking the nut from my hand through the door. Hes also letting me scratch him with a stick And even rolled over for a Scratch On the neck and belly so I'm hoping I'll be able to handle him pretty soon. I have Henry's blocks coming and revolution On its way. I think we got him inside just in time last night would have been very rough on him. The tail Has not shown any improvement.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

McCarthy (04-23-2022), sundoesshine (04-19-2022)

I was able to pinch test his tail when it was out of his cube while he was resting and there was no response from the tip to the middle.... the rotted skin on his penis and testicles have fallen off and I tried to up a pic of what's going on there now....ouch!! It almost looks like part of his testicle is protruding out.
    I moved him to another cube with fresh clean bedding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pic 2

Pic

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

McCarthy (04-23-2022)

Update: 5th day inside....his energy level was the best today...last night he ate the best so far ( veggies- bok choy, baby arugula, butternut squash, watercress, sugar snap peas are his fav-, HHP wild bites and 2 nuts at end of day. He is drinking and is urinating ok...poop looks ok.
    The skin on the testicles looks improved and the tissue on the penis looks healthy but has a way to go to regenerate. Giving probiotics....mixing calcium in with avocado. Still doing antibiotics/ infant ibuprofen.
    He was up and active this morning( for the first)....previously he needed to be coaxed out.
    He has lost weight and some fur.
    I have been brushing him with the toothbrush and was able to pet his backend/ haunches with my hand. He ventured out of the cage today for the first time and after 7 minutes made a beeline to the window to get out ☹. While on top of cage I touched and moved his tail - it had NO RESISTANCE No Feeling .
    He was able to climb and jump....on the curtains looking for an escape route..he was climbing ok out side too.
    I still can not pick him up...but when I can he needs a bath for his bottom half. He did scratch my hand up nice...but hasn't made any attempts to bite...yet.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

Chirps (04-28-2022), McCarthy (04-23-2022)

You both are doing great, considering the circumstances. I'd get him / build him a larger cage soon. Try to keep him away from any windows.

Is he still dragging his rear?

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Binkers mom (04-23-2022), sundoesshine (04-26-2022)

He drags his tail only....its useless. But he was climbing all over the cage and the room pretty good..
    Are you suggesting the large cage for outside or inside.

Since at this point you don't know if he will be able to return to the wild, I would not let him be outside and I agree with McCarthy - I wouldn't give him access to windows to look outside. Is there a TV you can leave on?

If he has to be a captive boy, he needs to tame down and not having the stimulus of seeing outside will help that. If in the future he is able to go out, he will quickly wild back up. The taming down is the longer process so I would accomplish that now.

A "dead" tail is a real detriment outside. It will drag through the snow and get wet and freeze, get caught and possibly get yanked right off, etc. If you amputate, he won't have his blanket to keep him warm out there anymore. Plus, you know how they double the tail back and lay it along their back and up over their head? From above, to hawks, that tail looks just like a gray branch. He won't have that. Having a shortened tail is doable, but no tail at all in a cold climate is a real issue.

25. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Binkers mom (04-23-2022), Chirps (04-28-2022), McCarthy (04-23-2022), sundoesshine (04-26-2022)

I will need to do a better job squirrel proofing the room. It will definitely be a process in him taming down. I will keep the shades down...but he is very capable of getting around....he was climbing and jumping from branches on trees and running along the fence line before he came in.
    So, the question remains...what will happen to his tail? I don't believe it will regain any use. Will he chew at it ?
    Should it be left as is or removed ( if that is even possible ..all things considered.
    Do you think I will eventually be able to handle him?
    Thank you

I think you need to hold onto him for a bit and just observe. First, you need to figure out WTH happened to his genitals. Why was he dragging them? I am wondering if he has some issue with his back from the original injury that is causing him to not walk normally. Needless to say, that would be a terrible issue for him and would kill him eventually. Also, I think that you need to see what happens with the tail. If the tail still has a blood supply, he will keep his fur; if the blood supply is gone or going, he will lose it. If he still has a blood supply he will need amputation but maybe not right up to where it is broken. If the genital thing turns out to be an anomaly - might he have been attacked by another male during mating violence? - he could have a short tail but not a gone tail. It would have to be short enough that it doesn't drag behind him because of the snow/ice issues.

We had a member here some years ago with a totally wild male that became paralyzed that she took in. It took time and patience, but Magnus became a real sweetheart, spent a lot of time in his mama's lap and became a snugglebug. He was NOT a squirrel raised by her and released like Mr. FP is - he was wild. I would say don't push things hard, give him goodies and brush him with his toothbrush and he will likely come around. Hopefully he can go back outside again but I think you need to just give this time to determine exactly what is happening with him.

28. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Binkers mom (04-23-2022), Chirps (04-28-2022), McCarthy (04-23-2022), sundoesshine (04-26-2022)

Ok thanks so much.
    I do see patches of fur gone from his tail and the parts I felt were cold.
    He loves to be groomed with the toothbrush.
    When he is in his cube I talk to him and the tap the cube 3x with the toothbrush and he knows what that is and doesn't attack it. I put it inside his cube with him and he closes his eyes and lifts his chin and arms so I can get all over. I try to do more at night when he is more settled down. But he was letting me brush him when he was out today and I was touching him with my hand for the first time.
    Yes , there is a tv in the room he he seems to like spa music.. He did not want a stuffy toy around..no way no how.
    I wonder if the weight of the dead tail is dragging is hind end down??? He was climbing the cage and curtains really well and he hangs upside down so he has full use of his hind feet.
    And yes if he was outside he probably wouldn't last long...especially if flies/ maggots got into those wounds
    Thanks for the encouragement🙏☺😊

I have watched squirrels in the wild for 3 decades, at times very extensively like these days. I have never seen a squirrel without a tail. Once the tail is gone, they have several disadvantages, and they won't last. They still may be able to climb, but in a fight or when being chased, they won't have the balance needed to evade or dominate. Balance issues also cause falls from trees. They also use their tail to look bigger in order to intimidated both competing squirrels and predators. Without a tail they will look like an easy prey and get attacked more frequently. Survival of the fittest really takes effect here.

Since he can't lift the tail anymore, the constant weight is now leveraged and pulls his behind down, and consequently his private parts get dragged all over the place. I think the tail needs to be amputated in order to prevent chronic wounds and infections. And without a tail he will be a NR.

If you have patience, he will come around. Many NRs realize that they need constant support.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Binkers mom (04-24-2022), sundoesshine (04-26-2022)

Mr. FP wanted to come out of his cage today. He explored the room a bit then He was relaxing on top of the cage... so I brushed him with the toothbrush and petted him a little and he got his first dose of Revolution. The hamster cage is on top of the Martin flyer cage and he goes in and on top of it sometimes. There is a soft cloth for him to lie on.. Tv is on and he likes the Spa music Channel.
    His testicles look like they are healing...no open sores or oozing. The tip of the penis is still in the healing process. No outward signs of infection.
    His fur appears to be growing in where it fell out. I think the stress of injury and life change may have contributed to that. He appears to be putting weight back on.
    I have been mixing HHP calcium in with his avocado.
    I also have HHP vitamins which I mix in with avocado and he ate one serving on Saturday. He is also getting probiotic. Stools look normal...brown and firm.
    He is grooming himself better. He doesn't seem as upset/ nervous but still cautious. He is making attempts towards us sniffing etc. Overall, decent progress for 1 week. I think he is being extra good because he knows I am very sad...my beautiful dog passed away in my arms on Sunday.

33. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

Chirps (04-28-2022), McCarthy (04-26-2022), sundoesshine (04-26-2022), TubeDriver (04-28-2022)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast