Thread: Mineral blocks? Safe things to chew?

Question Mineral blocks? Safe things to chew?

The two babies I've been caring for (about two weeks now) are 6 weeks old I'm pretty sure (eyes just started opening a day or so after they were brought to me).
    They're quite ready to be chewing & I was having a little trouble figuring out what's best & needed for them to chew on. I live in East Texas, if anyone can recommend safe branches to start giving them. I've seen that antlers are good too but I dont have any right now.
    Any links to good mineral blocks on Amazon would be appreciated.

I started giving them Oxbox rat food about a week ago & they seem to be warming up to that pretty well. The boy moreso than the girl, he has always eaten more than her though lol & he's a bit bigger than her - is that normal?

Also it seems to be about time to get them a water bottle, right? Any good Amazon recommendations? I live in a small town with no pet stores very closeby.

Name:  20220307_114147.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  96.3 KB
    Name:  20220307_132432.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  78.1 KB

Default Re: Mineral blocks? Safe things to chew?

If you can get them to eat the Oxbow, great….but they really have to eat it. If you’re having trouble with them eating it you can order some Henry’s Picky or Hazelnut blocks from Henrys Pets online. Rodent block is the first food introduced and once they’re eating it well you can move on to other foods. Here’s the link for foods as well as safe trees and flowers. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Mineral blocks are safe as long as they don’t contain Vitamin D. I haven’t had huge success with them eating them. My yard squirrels prefer bone marrow bones that have dried in the sun. I put them on broken branches in the trees and I do hear them eating them. Not only does it provide calcium, but it also grinds their teeth down.

Glass water bottles are good because they can be hung inside the cage without worry of the squirrel chewing it.

I’ve gotten these before https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufact...s%2C106&sr=8-6

They don’t need salt licks.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

WwwLllSss (11-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If you can get them to eat the Oxbow, great….but they really have to eat it. If you’re having trouble with them eating it you can order some Henry’s Picky or Hazelnut blocks from Henrys Pets online. Rodent block is the first food introduced and once they’re eating it well you can move on to other foods. Here’s the link for foods as well as safe trees and flowers. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Mineral blocks are safe as long as they don’t contain Vitamin D. I haven’t had huge success with them eating them. My yard squirrels prefer bone marrow bones that have dried in the sun. I put them on broken branches in the trees and I do hear them eating them. Not only does it provide calcium, but it also grinds their teeth down.

Glass water bottles are good because they can be hung inside the cage without worry of the squirrel chewing it.

I’ve gotten these before https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufact...s%2C106&sr=8-6

They don’t need salt licks.

Thanks. They are definitely eating the Oxbow but just not very much yet, & I don't see baby girl Gizmo eating it as often as baby boy Stripe.
    But I figure that might be because their little teeths aren't very big yet (as you can kinda see in the one pic), & doesn't weaning begin around 7-8 weeks?
    I definitely know it's important to get them eating that before I introduce other foods. Just wasn't quite sure how much they should be eating it at this time & if I should be concerned that they're not eating it much now, but I think I have another week or so before it would really be a big concern. And a lot changes in a week! Probably a few more days & they'll be eating it more. One of the most recent feedings they seemed to not want quite as much formula, perhaps because they'd been munching on the Oxbow.

So in regards to bones - would chicken bones be acceptable?

No, I wouldn’t give chicken bones. Hard beef bones are ok.

Your babies should continue to take formula for several more weeks. We don’t recommend initiating weaning. Continue to feed it to them as long as they’ll take it. They may cut back to only a couple of times a day, but formula is their best guarantee against getting Metabolic Bone Disease. Some squirrels will continue to drink formula from a dish when they are placed in the release cage at 14 weeks.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (03-07-2022), EllaEmerald (03-07-2022)