Thread: Miracle nipples

Default Miracle nipples

Okay so y'all suggested I tried the original miracle nipples. I have to say it's a huge difference. I bought the minis and they're probably good for a squirrel up to 2 weeks tops. But my goodness feeding time was so much better. She would get so frustrated with me because I had to keep pulling her away from the nipple to wipe her face because she was so close to the.... don't laugh at me... I don't know the correct terminology... But the areola of the nipple that she was sloshing the mess she was making all over the front of her face and I didn't want it to go in her nose when she was breathing. So I had to keep pulling her away and wiping her face. We just went through the entire feeding this time with the original size and I wiped her face two or three times. Had a hard time finding a suggestion on that when I initially ordered them so I'm just going to throw out there that the minis only seem to work well when the squirrels are really tiny
    Last edited by Sommer; 03-05-2022 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Misspell

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sommer:

Diggie's Friend (03-07-2022), Mel1959 (03-07-2022)

Default Re: Miracle nipples

I agree hands down!!! Best purchase ever and makes feeding so much easier!!

Okay, so the original mn definitely kept her face cleaner. But she just kept trying to get that latch and couldn't. I found something I have never used before. They're food grade silicone gel. They can be boiled sanitized anything. I even tried biting hard down on one of them. It is a little harder to break your teeth through on a miracle nipple but when you do it on these because they squash so much it only leaves a pinhole. Seem very durable but I guess time will tell. They will not fit on the miracle syringe, you've got to have one with a tip. She gets such a good latch on these she starts pumping her arms so I know just how to do the plunger! Anybody tried these before and have more long-term experience? Trying a lot of new things. Hazel's a bit of a princess squirrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Where did you find those? My boy Zeke absolutely destroyed nipples. If his fur mama had raised him I think she would have ended up spiking him like a football! I bet I went through $100 Miracle nipples with him - some of them lasted 10 seconds! I was looking for stainless steel...

Well this I actually figured out because I nursed my son. If a baby doesn't get a good latch they do a combination of sucking lapping and chewing. The miracle nipple seems a bit tougher but because of that Hazel couldn't get a good latch so she nibbled a lot more. There's such a good latch on these there's no nibbling.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CDL2BQV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Where did you find those? My boy Zeke absolutely destroyed nipples. If his fur mama had raised him I think she would have ended up spiking him like a football! I bet I went through $100 Miracle nipples with him - some of them lasted 10 seconds! I was looking for stainless steel...
    Ha ha! Steel! But I bet she would have jumped right up and given him a minute to be hungry and think about it. Probably wouldn't have happened more than two or three times. I don't know if the baby gets a good latch even when they have teeth they don't tend to do much chewing. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer View Post
    They will not fit on the miracle syringe, you've got to have one with a tip.
    Miracle syringes are available in both Luer-lock and Slip tip, the latter being the one that would work with these nipples...

Oh really!? I do prefer them! What does the lock part mean? Is that the hole you can fit your thumb into control it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Miracle syringes are available in both Luer-lock and Slip tip, the latter being the one that would work with these nipples...
    Little Hazel tends to blow formula out of her nose on her own accord when she does. But if she starts lapping without a suck it's like she collects it in her mouth. I'll pull it away as soon as I see it, wipe and let her work with what she has. She'll chew for a minute but as soon as she gets excited again and wants more she sucks whatever is left in her mouth down and sneezes it. This is the part I have no control over so I thought if I could find something she'd latch on to better I wouldn't have to worry about it. I sort of got over the fear of aspiration because it always seems to be more like snorting your drink when you laugh. But it still worries me. And I can't stop her from that part. The food trance is strong in this one lol

Oh really!? I do prefer them! What does the lock part mean? Is that the hole you can fit your thumb into control it?

"Luer-Lock" is designed to "lock" a needle onto the syringe. Luer's are threaded to allow the needle to twist onto the syringe.

Slip tip syringes do allow for a needle to slip on, but they are friction based and do not secure the needle as well as a Luer-Lock design. True oral syringes are amber in color and only come in slip tips.

Little Hazel tends to blow formula out of her nose on her own accord when she does. But if she starts lapping without a suck it's like she collects it in her mouth. I'll pull it away as soon as I see it, wipe and let her work with what she has. She'll chew for a minute but as soon as she gets excited again and wants more she sucks whatever is left in her mouth down and sneezes it. This is the part I have no control over so I thought if I could find something she'd latch on to better I wouldn't have to worry about it. I sort of got over the fear of aspiration because it always seems to be more like snorting your drink when you laugh. But it still worries me. And I can't stop her from that part. The food trance is strong in this one lol
    Just as a reminder….be careful pulling a syringe out of a squirrels mouth when they are snorting milk and have a firm suction grip on the nipple. Dr. Emerson believes that when that suction is broken by removing the syringe too quickly it actually causes fluid (formula) to be “sucked” into the ear canal and can result in ear infections. It’s best to let the squirrel break the suction hold on the syringe on its own.

But that's the problem, she won't keep a suction on it. It's not the suction of when the nipples in her mouth it's when I stop because she's doing that trance thing and sloshing it. I use a paper towel and try to wipe away all the access but as soon as she snaps back and wants to eat again whatever is in her mouth she seems to snort through her nose like she just started laughing. I don't know how to stop her other than finding her a nipple that keeps her latched on. It doesn't seem to phase her but it worries me! She's a bit fussy lol

I can tell when she's going to do it cuz she closes her mouth chews then jolts out of her
    trance and it sounds like you're pulling air through your teeth and then she sneezes it out and I wipe it and she keeps on going. Suggestions?

There's always the chance this is not as weird when you've raised hundreds of thousands of squirrels. Lol