Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irregularly growing teeth piercing gums and mouth full of blood.

Default Irregularly growing teeth piercing gums and mouth full of blood.

Please help !
    We have one and a half year old Indian palm squirrel. When she was a day old baby she fell from the second floor and her mother didn't notice her and didn't took her home. In our place, there are no rehabblers, even for normal dogs or cats . Not even a single veternary hospital ! In my country, there are not much experienced vets. We can't leave her so we took her in and raised her with guidance of websites like yours.
    As she fell from the second floor, she lost one eye and her mind is also not much good ; so she doesn't eat.Goodness, my Mom tried a hundread times but she only drinks milk and other liquid food. So we didn't release her in the wild. But because of that, her teeth started growing and piercing the upper palate. We had no option but to cut her teeth. We took every precaution.
    But due to cutting her teeth every week. Her teeth started growing very irregularly , we can't cut those irregular teeth, because gums are coming through. My little squirrel is in pain. Blood is coming everyday. We can't understand what to do. We are very upset because of that. She used to be a healthy squirrel roaming all the house.

Please try to understand our grief situation. Please help !!

Default Re: Irregularly growing teeth piercing gums and mouth full of blood.

siddana, I am so very sorry your little one has these troubles.

When a mamma squirrel rejects a baby like this, it is often because mamma knows something is wrong with that baby and it won't survive in the wild. YOU did nothing wrong , nor did your Mom. But it will be very difficult to save this squirrel without veterinary help. Have you tried the colleges or universities around you? Sometimes their veterinary programs will treat wildlife -- i don't know but it's worth exploring.

Do you absolutely have to trim every week? Most people with squirrels in this condition trim every 2-3 weeks...perhaps that will reduce the trauma on her teeth and gums. Just a suggestion.

Try making her some soft foods -- she probably doesn't eat well because her mouth hurts. Grind up some fruit, rodent blocks, even puppy formula (you have Royal Canin in India -- very good products) and see if she will take it from a syringe or even a spoon?

I know others who have dealt with this issue will also come in to help.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

siddana (02-19-2022)

Oh no sir, she is eating liquid food normally. Her body is healthy according to us , and she is a little chubby too, when compared to other squirrels around us. Now also, my mom is feeding her milk and other liquid food through a dropper and she takes food from it. She was perfectly normal for almost one and a half year.
    We were facing these problems only for one month.
    What is her problem is that her teeth, they are piercing her gums and her mouth hurts.Her body is normal according to us, because we sent her photos to a vet and he said she is fine.
    Could we get some medicine, to reduce her pain or could we get some solution for her growing teeth.
    Thanks you for responding fast.

ok glad she is eating something, Does she try to chew at all? Can you use a file (emery board) to file down her teeth a bit in between trimmings?

The best medicines for pain with a squirrel are both prescription (Rx) -- metacam and tramadol. Some people here on TSB also use infant ibuprofen, which is non-prescription here in the US. Not sure about India. Someone here on TSB can provide the dosage for Infant Liquid Ibuprofen.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

siddana (02-19-2022)

Sir, I have sent my dad to the medical shop. Infant ibuprofen is not available. But there is this medicine available - Ibuprofen and paracetamol suspension -Could we use this?

Get the ibuprophen and make sure you have full information about the strength - it is likely on the container. It might take us a bit to calculate the correct dose but this would be your best bet.

you also need a way to weigh your squirrel, as we use this to calculate dosages. Plus, you will need a 1cc syringe or smaller - no needle, just the syringe part. Perhaps ask the pharmacist if they can give or sell you one. Again, we use the syringe to measure the dosage for meds, so the dropper you are using to feed won't work.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

siddana (02-19-2022)

Concentration of ibuprofen - 100 mg, paracetamol - 162.5 mg. Could we take this ? It's a syrup, so we could use this in very little amounts, if we have to.

Concentration of ibuprofen - 100 mg, paracetamol - 162.5 mg. Could we take this ? It's a syrup, so we could use this in very little amounts, if we have to. Could we use this after weighing her , and knowing the correct dosage?

Are they both syrups? Or is the ibuprophen a pill?

FYI for everyone else, paracetamol is what the rest of the world calls what WE call acetaminophen - like Tylenol.

I would prefer the ibuprophen, as what you are looking at here is inflammation, which Ibuprophen is a lot better at dealing with. If you can give us the weight of your squirrel, and have been able to obtain the 1cc syringe, we will eventually be able to tell you how to properly DILUTE a pill and then how much of the resulting dilution to use per dose for her.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

siddana (02-19-2022)

It's the combination of the two in a syrup( liquid form). Can I use a drop or two as a dosage? please suggest...

OK, so the 100mg ibuprophen and 162.5mg paracetamol is, I assume, the amount in one dose? How big is the dosage size? We need to determine how much of the meds are in a specific dosage so we can reduce it for a squirrel. Perhaps you could take a pic of the bottle with the dosage info.

Neither I nor anyone else here is going to be willing to "guess" on dosage. We could vastly overdose her that way.

Name:  IMG-20220219-WA0001.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  66.4 KB
    It got a little blur on posting, is it fine ?

Does that say "Each 5ml contains..."

Yes mam.

We are trying REALLY hard to determine if this combo is safe and how to dose it - there are a BUNCH of people working on this. Please don't think you are being ignored!

Are you certain you can't get just ibuprophen without the added paracetamol?

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

siddana (02-19-2022), Taz2020 (02-19-2022)

I am sending you dosing info by PM (we do not dose on the open board).

Can you post some pics? We would like to see a pic of your squirrel if possible, with something to help calculate the size of her - a ruler, a can of soda, etc. I have some info on indian palm squirrels that I used to estimate her weight but it would be nice to see a pic. More importantly, can you get us a pic of her teeth? It will likely take 2 people to do this. If you can slip something behind the teeth to hold the mouth open - like a pencil - it would be best. We may have some people who can assist in correctly trimming without having problems.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

redwuff (02-19-2022), siddana (02-19-2022), stepnstone (02-19-2022)

Name:  IMG-20220220-WA0000.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  98.7 KB
    Name:  IMG-20220220-WA0001.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  71.1 KB
    At present, I am only able to take this pic (of teeth). She is not allowing us to take the photo. I will take the time and send a better picture again.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    We are trying REALLY hard to determine if this combo is safe and how to dose it - there are a BUNCH of people working on this. Please don't think you are being ignored!

Are you certain you can't get just ibuprophen without the added paracetamol?
    Oh mam, because of people like you only, we were able to raise her for one and a half year. Thank you very much mam!

Name:  IMG-20220220-WA0009.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  58.8 KB
    In this pic, her gums are a little yelow in colour due to turmeric milk.
    Once in early morning and once in late night, mom is giving her(Anju) turmeric milk with honey, since last winter.

You DID get the dosing info I sent, didn't you? Let us know if you are seeing any signs that she isn't hurting as much.

And I hate to say it but maybe more tooth pics? Focus just on the mouth so they are sharp. Are you trimming the tops, bottoms or both?

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

siddana (02-20-2022), stepnstone (02-20-2022)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast