Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time for a grey

Default Re: Its time for a grey

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    This thread is rapidly taking on the shape of a documentary.

I always liked sharing photos and bits and pieces from my life, but not on Instagram or any of the other politically biased social media platforms. Privately held forums like this one are my thing.

I'm in for the long run when it comes to greys and just go with the flow. I'm content with what I have going with the wilds in the park, and if I end up with a baby or NR one day, I'll be ready. Eventually I'll own a big piece of land, a large shop, a small house, and plenty of room to rehab and release greys.

So there are more stories to come.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

sundoesshine (05-13-2022)

Took the 14mm lens out today.

Hand-feeding a wild from up high without getting clawed. Most of them crab your fingers. It took me a while and some scars to figure out the right way to do it...

Rocky is finding more trust these days. He must be the oldest in this group. Always on his own, always shows up last, never explores.

Today another squirrel ran into him by accident, didn't see him in time, and literally landed on-top of Rocky. Rocky didn't jump or move one inch, like they usually do. The other squirrel somehow got the idea that he could challenge him since he already dropped on him. Boy was he about to get owned. Rocky growled at him in a very deep and long-lasting tone, I think I peed a little, followed with one smack across his face, sending him into a curled-up little something, rolling down the dirty hill .

Boy this passion gets expensive

A $5 bag of Almonds every day and now the 3rd camera lens, just ordered an hour ago. It's a 135mm lens good for situations when they are up in the trees.

Name:  Image1.png
Views: 93
Size:  36.7 KB

I can't help you out with the lenses, but if you have a Trader Joe's near you, their prices are the best I have found at brick and mortar retail. They also sell shucked hazelnuts by the bag which is quite unusual - your guys might enjoy the variety. Of course for hand feeding, the almonds are longer rather than round which allows you to keep a little further from the pointy parts.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

McCarthy (05-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I can't help you out with the lenses, but if you have a Trader Joe's near you, their prices are the best I have found at brick and mortar retail. They also sell shucked hazelnuts by the bag which is quite unusual - your guys might enjoy the variety. Of course for hand feeding, the almonds are longer rather than round which allows you to keep a little further from the pointy parts.
    Thanks. For the longest time we didn't have any Trader Joe's around, but I just checked and there is a new location about 45 minutes from my house. Next time I'm further South I'll check them out.

That being said, I wasn't really serious, just excited about the next new lens. I used to spend a TON of money back in Miami Beach, for many years. Basically 150 to 300 bucks every night just partying. So I take the nuts and lenses over the destructive nonsense I used to do, any time of the day.

90mm lens today, chances are I'll sell this one, its just not fast enough at F 2.8.

He comes for a visit every day, religiously. Has lost all fear, much like the gang. Really smart and observing guy.

He usually sits on my shoulders nonstop. I had my nose in that fur so many times, he doesn't mind. They all smell really fresh, like fresh-out-of-the-washing-machine fresh!

I turned my laptop on, and the starting sound from Windows 7 scared the hell out of her. She was up the tree in no-time and turned the piggy siren on.

There are a bunch of really thick and stable branches right next to her, but she decided to sit on this tiny dead twig that was about to fail, while holding her boobs. Must be squirrel logic!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

Chirps (05-12-2022)

Now a crow to the mix 😀
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

McCarthy (05-13-2022)

When the piggy siren makes your nose tickle...

Cutesiness overload.

There are a bunch of really thick and stable branches right next to her, but she decided to sit on this tiny dead twig that was about to fail, while holding her boobs. Must be squirrel logic!

She almost looks like our chunky foxers. I'm always amazed when I go back to NH how much smaller, faster and wild the greys seem compared to our lumbering foxers here. They also have chipmunks and my goal is to try and befriend one since watching Choo Choo's Story on the tube. We'll see if it's as easy as it looks.

Now a crow to the mix 😀
    ...as if there isn't enough to make us envious!

She almost looks like our chunky foxers. I'm always amazed when I go back to NH how much smaller, faster and wild the greys seem compared to our lumbering foxers here. They also have chipmunks and my goal is to try and befriend one since watching Choo Choo's Story on the tube. We'll see if it's as easy as it looks.
    The guys in Choo Choo's Story are easy to deal with. I owned a Japanese stripe squirrel as a pet back in the day. No scratches, no bites, a bit skittish at times.

One reason why I love greys so much, they are so very raw, energetic and brutal within their group. Bonding with wild greys (past hand-feeding) and not getting bitten is a real challenge. Gaining their trust is on another level and very rewarding.

That teeth chattering alone... makes them drop a nut and pee...

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (05-14-2022), sundoesshine (05-14-2022)

Brought my 35mm Zeiss lens today. Was planning on selling this lens, but after today's photo development I decided to keep it. That Zeiss pop and background separation is unmatched.

My neuro boy always lifts his right foot and sits crooked. I wonder if he has pain in his right leg. Sitting on my shoulder isn't easy for him since he is dealing with balancing issues as well and any movement throws him off.

He is the sweetest of them all.

He now comes over every day, not to eat or stash nuts, but spend time with me and being as close as possible. When he sits on my lap, he falls against my arm with one side. He is the only one that seeks skin contact, constantly. If I ever get the impression that he won't make it out there, he'll come home.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (05-14-2022), sundoesshine (05-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post

My neuro boy always lifts his right foot and sits crooked. I wonder if he has pain in his right leg. Sitting on my shoulder isn't easy for him since he is dealing with balancing issues as well and any movement throws him off.
    It's probably a balancing issue, but could be pain involved too. It reminds me of when a standing horse angles a front leg out a bit, it's called "pointing" and an indication of unsoundness and pain.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    It's probably a balancing issue, but could be pain involved too. It reminds me of when a standing horse angles a front leg out a bit, it's called "pointing" and an indication of unsoundness and pain.
    The photo you quoted is my girl, not the neuro boy.

Neuro boy is the last photo on that day, he is sitting on my shoulders. You can see that his foot is not touching my shoulder, it is lifted.

Your "pointing" explanation makes sense. He has been this way ever since, so whatever it is, it didn't heal. He tips to the side all the time, so I think its 100% neuro based. He may have no feel in that foot at all.

What is really sad, is the fact that he has to be submissive to all others because he can't win any fights. When other squirrels show up in my camper, he becomes instantly nervous and either tries to hide on the dash, seeks shelter around me, or runs out in a hurry. When I'm outside the camper with some food, he gets chased away all the time, and I have to follow him in order to feed him. He is so very happy when he sees me offering a nut after he just got chased away.

He always eats close to me.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (05-14-2022), island rehabber (05-14-2022)

Today the food aggressive biter came around and into my camper. I knew right away who he was, so I tried to drop the nut I had in hand on my camper bed as fast as I could, hoping he would not go for my fingers. Not fast enough. He went straight for my hand and clawed it while I pulled it away before he could bite me. I tried it again but he was super fast and super aggressive. He was really demonstrating that he is in charge, in my camper.

So when he went after my hand again, I used my other hand, slapped his tiny butt, and yelled at him. All other squirrels would run at that point but he just turned around and tried to get my other hand as well.

I just thought to myself, alright, lets settle this right here, right now!

I play-fought with him for several minutes. Tapping his back with one hand, he turned around and tried to get it, meanwhile I used my other hand and gave him a light smack on his butt again. I used my voice as well, in an aggressive manner: "You wanne fight buddy, lets fight!" etc.

Wish I had this on video but there was no way to "handle" him with just one hand.

He didn't get my hands once in this game, and he was really ticked off.

Eventually I exhausted him and he just stared at me for a while, sitting on MY camper bed. I gave him a nut, right into his mouth and just asked: "Are we done now?!"

He came back for a couple more nuts. No more hand chasing, clawing and biting.

Lets see if he remembers his newly gained manners the next time around.

In the end I was lucky that he didn't jump into my face. If he ever pulls that stunt, he comes home for a week of bootcamp!

Lets see if he remembers his newly gained manners the next time around.
    He was probably absolutely dumbfounded as no one has done That to him before! Dang, that woulda been a fun to see. Thought about setting up a camera to catch stuff like that?

He was probably absolutely dumbfounded as no one has done That to him before! Dang, that woulda been a fun to see. Thought about setting up a camera to catch stuff like that?

Maybe I'll get one of those dash cams and point it into into the camper.

I'm sure he got is "fair" share of food by going after people's hands in the park. I fear that he may not do this with me again, but still considers other park visitors as easy targets.

At times I was just hoping that he doesn't snap and goes for any body part or gets onto my back. My hands are fast, but he could get my ass at any time. I always have in mind this video of a squirrel going straight for the head.

OMG that video was so shocking and hilarious I was in tears laughing, I think mostly at what the guy called the squirrel. And no it's not really funny to be ambushed by the . . . little . . . what he called it. But I'm still laughing.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

McCarthy (05-15-2022), sundoesshine (05-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    The photo you quoted is my girl, not the neuro boy.
    Oh, yeah, no boy stuff. I was looking at the way the foot is angled and since you were talking about him I just thought that pic was him.

Neuro boy is the last photo on that day, he is sitting on my shoulders. You can see that his foot is not touching my shoulder, it is lifted.
    Yes indeed. From that angle though I can't see if it is pointing outward or just up.
    Your "pointing" explanation makes sense. He has been this way ever since, so whatever it is, it didn't heal. He tips to the side all the time, so I think its 100% neuro based. He may have no feel in that foot at all.

What is really sad, is the fact that he has to be submissive to all others because he can't win any fights. When other squirrels show up in my camper, he becomes instantly nervous and either tries to hide on the dash, seeks shelter around me, or runs out in a hurry. When I'm outside the camper with some food, he gets chased away all the time, and I have to follow him in order to feed him. He is so very happy when he sees me offering a nut after he just got chased away.

He always eats close to me.

Poor boy. A friend in need . . . .

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

McCarthy (05-15-2022), sundoesshine (05-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    OMG that video was so shocking and hilarious I was in tears laughing, I think mostly at what the guy called the squirrel. And no it's not really funny to be ambushed by the . . . little . . . what he called it. But I'm still laughing.

I had to laugh as well, but felt bad when he threw the squirrel on the ground, can't blame him though.

In the comments I read that they killed the squirrel when he was still waiting in the garage for the next attack. I would have trapped him after making sure that there is no nest with babies around, and relocated his feisty ass, away from any and all humans.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast