Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time for a grey

Default Its time for a grey

Hey folks,

I live in Florida, retired, single... and ready for a grey.

I have plenty of experiences with wild rodents, including a Japanese squirrel some 30 years ago, and know all about the extensive requirements and challenges with greys. Currently, a local one bonded with me and comes down every time she sees my camper at the beach. She long declared my vehicle and myself as her territory. I'll attach a few photos. Obviously she is just doing fine in the wild and I have no desire to make her my pet.

All that being said, I really want one that I can take care for in and around my house. I just read up on the Florida requirements for a license and will have all in place before sending it off.

Any suggestions from here on forward?

Default Re: Its time for a grey

neighbor!

By your comments, I assume you’re looking for a non-releasable squirrel. Do you have the space for a cage? Are there any type of injuries that a NR might have that you would be uncomfortable dealing with, like hind end paralysis, head trauma, teeth trimming etc.?

I know of some rehabbers in Florida that might have a non releasable squirrel that they would be willing to find a forever home for. Let me know what your parameters are and I’ll reach out to them.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

McCarthy (02-16-2022)

Well it is certainly nice of her to allow you into her camper!

If I were you I would become active here and at any FB squirrel groups. People will be more comfortable with you if they get a chance to know you and understand that you know squirrels enough to know what sharing your home and life with one actually entails. I would also seek out any local rehabbers - offer to help - clean cages, ferry animals to the vet, etc. Your best bet will be a baby that comes in with some sort of issue that will prevent it's release. It may take a while, but if you have already inserted yourself into the "squirrel community" you will be in the right place when a baby needing help comes up. It will also give you some experience in doing the things that you may need to do to make one happy - how to trim teeth in case a mallocluded baby needs help, etc.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (02-16-2022), island rehabber (02-16-2022), McCarthy (02-16-2022), Mel1959 (02-16-2022)

Welcome 😁
    Love the pics and your camping buddy
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

McCarthy (02-16-2022)

Thank you all for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    neighbor!

By your comments, I assume you’re looking for a non-releasable squirrel. Do you have the space for a cage? Are there any type of injuries that a NR might have that you would be uncomfortable dealing with, like hind end paralysis, head trauma, teeth trimming etc.?

I know of some rehabbers in Florida that might have a non releasable squirrel that they would be willing to find a forever home for. Let me know what your parameters are and I’ll reach out to them.
    Wanting a grey didn't happen over night. I have been thinking about this and planning for it, for a few years. I wanted to make sure that I can be around and ready for as long as they live.

That being said, I have to make a decision based on the case. Teeth trimming and prepping with eyes still closed are things I have done in my past with other wild animals.

I own a house and have space for an indoor 5' x 5' x 7' cage, and a patio under the roof, enclosed with 2 walls, glass sliding doors to my living room, and screened to the outside. I can either build another cage inside this patio, or even turn the entire patio into a cage. Needless to say, I would let any none-releasable grey roam inside my house under supervision for many hours each day, as I did with all my wild pets in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Well it is certainly nice of her to allow you into her camper!

If I were you I would become active here and at any FB squirrel groups. People will be more comfortable with you if they get a chance to know you and understand that you know squirrels enough to know what sharing your home and life with one actually entails. I would also seek out any local rehabbers - offer to help - clean cages, ferry animals to the vet, etc. Your best bet will be a baby that comes in with some sort of issue that will prevent it's release. It may take a while, but if you have already inserted yourself into the "squirrel community" you will be in the right place when a baby needing help comes up. It will also give you some experience in doing the things that you may need to do to make one happy - how to trim teeth in case a mallocluded baby needs help, etc.
    I'm in no rush, this has been in the making for while anyways, so I will stick around and get a feel for this forum, for starters.

That grey at the beach for sure owns me and my camper. And she has nor problem communicating this with the other squirrels in the area through vocals, chasing and markings.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Welcome ��
    Love the pics and your camping buddy

Thank you! I have a bunch of photos with greys. Somehow they find trust in me really quick. I can read them easily and adjust accordingly.

My last wild rodent was a field mouse. That was in a different place, not in Florida. I saw him in my garage, and was able to catch him with some chocolate the same night. It was winter, the ground frozen and no way to release him. By the time it was spring, he was a fearless pet, so I care for him for 5 years, well beyond the average 3 years they make in the wild. Even though they are tiny animals, they are fun and entertaining. I even potty trained him.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (02-16-2022), Mel1959 (02-16-2022), RockyPops (04-06-2022), TubeDriver (02-24-2022)

While I'm at it...

Photo from today. She now also marked my counter top and tried to burry a nut in the seat of my camper.

T-shirt wrapped around the legs, you know the drill.

Name:  20220216_180849[1].jpg
Views: 433
Size:  55.4 KB

She looks right at home.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

McCarthy (02-17-2022)

Such a privilege to be owned by a squirrel.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

McCarthy (02-17-2022)

Just got back from another day at the clown parade. There's a bunch of them around in the beach park because hooomans BBQ every day and they get to beg for food nonstop, sitting on the park benches and tables right next to the beach goers. So I decide to feed them some healthier food, over the average burger pieces and hot dog buns they beg for, or outright steal.

People are not supposed to feed them at all, but that ain't gonna happen in a Florida public park with people coming here from all over the world. They look cute, they get some, that's their rule!

Anyways, today a male was brave enough to visit my camper when she wasn't around. I quickly gave him an almond and hoped he would be able to get out without a beating. Didn't happen. She saw him from afar, came running, and chased him around a couple trees with a lot of grumpy vocal warnings.

In the end he ran up a tree and was so confused that he turned on the piggy engine, all while munching his nut. That caused a bunch of other tree monkeys to join the concert, looking for a none existing threat. Gave me a good chuckle!

I uploaded a video of him:

After that chase she outright moved in for the day and didn't leave until sunset. I'm in trouble.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  62.9 KB

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

Chirps (02-17-2022), island rehabber (02-19-2022), Mel1959 (02-18-2022)

This is becoming bizarre. I have watched countless greys over the past 2 decades. Sure, they will come for a nut eventually, but usually stay skittish and return to the trees soon after.

This one is now following me around in the park, always comes on my lap when I sit down, and comes back inside my camper when I go back. I have a feeling that she will build a nest in it any time soon. She likes a spot under the driver seat. When I leave before it gets dark, she sits on a stump right next to my camper, almost looking sad that I close the door and leave.

Maybe I have found my buddy without realizing it.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  38.0 KB

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

island rehabber (02-19-2022)

Does she let you handle her? You’re right that is very odd behavior for a wild to be that comfortable in a closed space with a human. I’m a little concerned for her safety if she acts this way with other humans at the campsite. I’d hate for some irrational human to go after her with a broom or something thinking she’s rabid.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

McCarthy (02-19-2022)

Does she let you handle her? You’re right that is very odd behavior for a wild to be that comfortable in a closed space with a human. I’m a little concerned for her safety if she acts this way with other humans at the campsite. I’d hate for some irrational human to go after her with a broom or something thinking she’s rabid.

YES, this is unfortunately a common scenario with overly friendly squirrels. I wonder if she was raised with humans and then hard-released at this park. If so, you HAVE found your buddy.

PS: How do you keep your camper van so spotless? Ours looks like a Home Depot exploded and fell on top of a West Marine.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

McCarthy (02-19-2022)

So far I avoid handling or petting her. I wanted to keep some boundaries so that she doesn't learn that human hands are always a good thing. But the thing is, she isn't scared one bit. When I'm laying down in my camper for a nap, she walks right up to my face and starts sniffing my nose etc.

All other wild squirrels I have met in the past, may grab a nut and walk or run away, at least for several feet and watch you from a safe distance while eating. She takes one out of my hand while holding my hand with both paws, and doesn't walk away at all, she just keeps sitting right there next to my hand.

I think I will just keep watching her. If I get the impression over the next couple weeks that she would be better (safer) off with me, I'll find out if she wants to come along for a ride. If she's unhappy I'll bring her back.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    YES, this is unfortunately a common scenario with overly friendly squirrels. I wonder if she was raised with humans and then hard-released at this park. If so, you HAVE found your buddy.

PS: How do you keep your camper van so spotless? Ours looks like a Home Depot exploded and fell on top of a West Marine.....

Its a minivan camper conversion I built last year. Its so small, it only takes a few minutes to clean up. I don't go on big trips though, daily trips to the beach for the most part, maybe a long weekend trip to the Atlantic side.

I own a couple nice and new vehicles but always felt uncomfortable parking them at the local beaches. Many tourist show up with rentals and they don't care if a door comes flying open and nicks my car. So I bought this minivan for only 3 grand 2 years ago, and turned it into a beach beater camper, which allows me to park everywhere while RVs are not allowed (including on the beach park where my squirrel buddy lives).

If this thing catches dings and scratches, I do not care, and I can finally enjoy my time at the local beaches without worrying.

The camper has everything needed to fix some food, take an outdoor shower, take a nap in the shade, watch TV, play video games... it has a fridge, induction cooking plate, pull-out twin XL bed, full size toilet (don't have to use the nasty public rest rooms anymore), desk to work on with computer monitor, sink, freshwater tank, 460 watt solar panel on the roof, a big Lithium battery bank that powers everything, 3 charger systems, passive AC, sound system and enough room and water for up to 4 days.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to McCarthy:

island rehabber (02-19-2022), sundoesshine (04-05-2022)

Regarding her behavior, these guys have such different and distinctive personalities. My home backs up on a woods, and I have a "Squirrel Cafe" on my back deck that many generations of squirrels have taken huge advantage of. They know me well and will actually come to the kitchen window and stare angrily at me if I let the chow level dip below acceptable levels, but most of them act like I am coming out to slaughter them when I go to fill it up, scattering in (mock) terror. I don't hand feed any of them - I may toss a goody now and then but mostly I shovel food in the cafe and just watch them from inside. But there are always a few that independently decide I am their absolute bestie, and meet me at the front door when I attempt to go outside, who will waltz into my house and start exploring if I am unable to block them! They will climb onto my lap if I try to sit on the porch swing, and sit on the window perch near the feeder and watch me in the kitchen while I work in there. I have been known to do my own cooking show for them while they sit and watch and listen, rapt. When the others scatter, these guys try to dodge around my legs to go into the house! Everyone is treated the same (other than having to be periodically herded back outside), but the behaviors are so totally different. My current two, Chubby Wubby and Fattie Pattie (both rather zaftig ladies) sound just like your girl. What is her name?

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

McCarthy (02-19-2022)

Regarding her behavior, these guys have such different and distinctive personalities. My home backs up on a woods, and I have a "Squirrel Cafe" on my back deck that many generations of squirrels have taken huge advantage of. They know me well and will actually come to the kitchen window and stare angrily at me if I let the chow level dip below acceptable levels, but most of them act like I am coming out to slaughter them when I go to fill it up, scattering in (mock) terror. I don't hand feed any of them - I may toss a goody now and then but mostly I shovel food in the cafe and just watch them from inside. But there are always a few that independently decide I am their absolute bestie, and meet me at the front door when I attempt to go outside, who will waltz into my house and start exploring if I am unable to block them! They will climb onto my lap if I try to sit on the porch swing, and sit on the window perch near the feeder and watch me in the kitchen while I work in there. I have been known to do my own cooking show for them while they sit and watch and listen, rapt. When the others scatter, these guys try to dodge around my legs to go into the house! Everyone is treated the same (other than having to be periodically herded back outside), but the behaviors are so totally different. My current two, Chubby Wubby and Fattie Pattie (both rather zaftig ladies) sound just like your girl. What is her name?

I'd love to have my house close to a wooded area with a bunch of squirrels around, perfect nature show!

While we do have a few squirrels in our community, they very rarely show up on my property, since my backyard is right next to a lake, and that body of water is owned by some rather ugly snapping turtles.

I have no name for her, didn't want to get attached to a wild, but who am I kidding.....

I was born in Germany, and in the German language there is a name for people (or animals) that are rather feisty. The name is "Frechdachs". The one-to-one translation would be "Sassy Badger", but I think "Cheeky Chops" would be an even better fit since she is so right into my face without any fear.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

island rehabber (02-19-2022)

She is such a goober!

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  66.4 KB

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to McCarthy from:

sundoesshine (04-05-2022)

Wait. She has a human driving down to the beach daily to feed her and allow her to rampage through his (very clean) camper and SHE is a goober?

We get people here from Germany from time to time - it is the home of some of the most adorable squirrels out there, with the looooong tufts of hair on their ears which makes them look perpetually surprised! I keep pondering a business that makes "ear extensions" for American squirrels in order to amp up the cute factor... Maybe an Etsy store.

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (02-19-2022), McCarthy (02-19-2022)

Wait. She has a human driving down to the beach daily to feed her and allow her to rampage through his (very clean) camper and SHE is a goober?

We get people here from Germany from time to time - it is the home of some of the most adorable squirrels out there, with the looooong tufts of hair on their ears which makes them look perpetually surprised! I keep pondering a business that makes "ear extensions" for American squirrels in order to amp up the cute factor... Maybe an Etsy store.

That may explain why we are such a great match. Today she decided to make my head a viewing platform, right next to my shoulders. Lifting the t-shirt and crawling under was included. I have the scratches on my back to prove it lol

The only squirrel I had back in Germany was that Japanese "version". They are rather small and fragile.

I have been following this thread with great interest, and pondering the same as others. Your little "Cheeky Chops" is a wonder.

Does she or has she shown any interest in other people or vehicles there?

Wondering if she was dumped there.

Wondering if she's a wild that has seen so many humans she knows how to pick out the special ones.

Wondering if she would want to take a ride with you or if that might be too much.

Wondering what she would do if you didn't show up for a day or few. (Has that already happened?)

Have you ever closed the door with her inside? How does she react?

Wondering so many things. If only she could talk and tell you exactly what she's thinking.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

McCarthy (02-20-2022), Mel1959 (02-20-2022), Snicker Bar (02-20-2022)

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast