Thread: Release? Rehome? Euthanize? Surrender?

Default Release? Rehome? Euthanize? Surrender?

Hi friends. I think I've come to a decision, but would appreciate input.

Brief background - I am caring for a coming 2-year old female Cali Ground Squirrel. I accidentally destroyed a nest and ended up with 7 approx. 4-day old babies. Raised and released the rest. Tinkerbelle lost a top tooth, and by the time she was weaning her remaining tooth was just a nub.
    Since then I have been trimming her bottom teeth once a month.

This past December I noticed her sole top tooth is growing at an angle and widening out to meet the bottom teeth square. So I'm holding off on trimming to see if the issue has resolved. HOPE!

She was pretty tame until she wilded-up last Summer. Nevertheless she still lives indoors in a large habitat I built. She terrorizes our dogs and cats, and anyone who goes too close to her cage, and has no fear of anything. For example, she will come out of her nest at night if she hears a noise....(very bad idea in the wild). So, if her tooth issue has resolved, should I try to release her? Would a few days/weeks/months in the wild she has no experience with be her bliss? Or would it just be terrifying for her? I do have a fairly safe place to release her, and March is going to be the beginning of Spring and emergence/breeding season.

I cannot keep her for much longer as I will be moving and travelling later this year, and will not be able to continue to provide her care. At this point I have figured out how to handle her wild-ness, and could teach someone else to do the tooth trimming business (in case the issue has not resolved). But I hesitate to try and find someone to care for a non-releasable in a State where it is not even legal to have her.

I also can't bring myself to make the decision to euthanize her, although I believe that would be the more ethical choice than trying to release her if her tooth issue has not resolved. Wouldn't it?

I think I have decided that if it looks like the teeth have not resolved I will request to surrender her at the nearest Wildlife Rehab Center. I would want them to hear her history, but then I would leave the decisions up to them.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm really agonizing over this.

Default Re: Release? Rehome? Euthanize? Surrender?

Though there might bee some rehabbers even in this State that my have compassion and agree to take care of him, there is sadly no way of if the one you contact would be so predisposed. Sadly, any squirrel that isn't able to survive in the wild will be euthanized. Though Ca ground squirrels have a varied diet, they rely heavily upon acorns in the fall for food.

I wouldn't give up just yet; in the past there have been members from Northern CA. to Southern CA that do rehabbing and don't euthanize. I've alerted the Adm. of your need for a contact that is willing to support this squirrel and is able to trim teeth.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 02-13-2022 at 08:24 AM.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (02-13-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-13-2022)

You say that you live in the Pacific Northwest. Are you near Vancouver WA? If you are within striking distance, I would contact this place: https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/.

I will PM you a telephone number for one of their people, who's name is Michael - he is a member of our board. If I were in your shoes he would be the one I would call. He will give you a truthful assessment of the situation. The Squirrel Refuge is one of very few places that we at TSB recommend without any reservations.

5. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (02-13-2022), Grinderhead (02-13-2022), island rehabber (02-13-2022), Mel1959 (02-13-2022), Tinkerbelle (02-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Though there might bee some rehabbers even in this State that my have compassion and agree to take care of him, there is sadly no way of if the one you contact would be so predisposed. Sadly, any squirrel that isn't able to survive in the wild will be euthanized. Though Ca ground squirrels have a varied diet, they rely heavily upon acorns in the fall for food.

I wouldn't give up just yet; in the past there have been members from Northern CA. to Southern CA that do rehabbing and don't euthanize. I've alerted the Adm. of your need for a contact that is willing to support this squirrel and is able to trim teeth.

Thanks so much!
    Yes, they did help me get in contact. See my new post in TSB Success Stories!

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tinkerbelle:

Diggie's Friend (02-15-2022), stepnstone (02-15-2022)