Thread: Nails Dull, NOT Sharp - Trouble Gripping

Default Nails Dull, NOT Sharp - Trouble Gripping

Today is day #2 where I noticed the nails on my 11 month old eastern gray squirrel are not as sharp as usual. He normally climbs all over me while wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt, but noticed he was slipping and not gripping as well with his nails. Even he noticed because as he was climbing down my leg and began to slip, he jumped down to the floor instead of continuing his normal climb down. This happened a few times which caused me to notice and pay closer attention.

What would cause the tips of his nails to become dull and not as sharp as usual?

Default Re: Nails Dull, NOT Sharp - Trouble Gripping

What does his diet consist of?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (02-01-2022), stepnstone (02-01-2022)

In the morning he gets 2 Henry's blocks, followed by a salad bowl which includes spring mix greens, dandelion greens, 2-3 white mushroom slices, 1 piece of broccoli, a small slice of raw sweet potato, a small slice of apple, 2 blueberries, and 1 grape.

In the evening he gets 1 Henry's block, 1 pecan halve and 1 almond (dipped in calcium powder), followed by another salad bowl which includes spring mix greens, 2-3 white mushroom slices, a small slice of raw sweet potato, 2 sugar snap peas and 1 blueberry.

I always have Oxbow Garden Select Rat Block available at all times. He will nibble on that here and there, but not his favorite.

He does consume the HHB’s, right? He’s not just shredding them?

If that’s the case then his diet looks great. The only thing I can think of is that something in the cage is wearing them down.

I’ve never heard of an issue like this before. Maybe others have and will chime in.

Yes, he does eat the HHB's. He's good when it comes to eating, he eats his greens. I'm wondering if for some reason he is not getting enough calcium or some nutrient, but this has been his daily menu for several months.

Nothing is his cage has changed recently. He has 2 large branches to climb on.

The weather here has been cooler (you can feel the inside of the house is a few degrees cooler) and I noticed he has been sleeping more during this time. Not sure if related, or do they just stay in their nest more when there is cooler weather. When he is awake, he is active, I play with him and his toys. His fur is shiny and sleek.