Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overgrown teeth or something more

Default Overgrown teeth or something more

Hello everyone, I really hope someone can help me out with my baby. Her teeth doesn't look like they line up correctly and to me appear overgrown. I do not have any squirrel friendly vets around but I do know how to properly trim rodent teeth. I've done so on rabbits and guniea pigs with great success. I just don't want to do it unless absolutely necessary. Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Overgrown teeth or something more

When you pull back their gums it makes it look as if they are overgrown.

The top teeth are "blunt and chiseled" which is a good thing. I cannot really see the tips of the bottom teeth. Usually, if they are being worn down appropriately the teeth will be blunt/square/. An indicator that the teeth are not being worn down is when they are "pointed" and not blunt or square. And in case you are not aware, squirrel can actually move their
    bottom incisors from side to side; they are not fixed in place like most teeth.
    I'd definitely keep an eye on her teeth, that they do not grow noticeably longer than what they are currently...

Thank you for your reply I'll try to get better pictures and post them here one minute.

I hope these are better photos its surprisingly hard to get a picture of a squirrels teeth even with another person's help.

Also I was shown by someone that if you move the bottom jaw around and the teeth doesn't touch the roof of the mouth but you can hear and feel the back teeth grind then its ok. I did that test and her teeth doesn't touch and her back teeth did grind so maybe I'm just over reacting 🤔 She did eat a pecan in the shell just now so maybe she was just not hungry when she first woke up this morning. Here is a cute picture of her in a bag around my head. She likes being carried around while I clean and my little sister made a baby carrier for her out of a drawstring backpack we got at the dollar tree. Affordable and cute as all heck 🐿🎒😍

Sent you a PM

Here’s a good diagram:
    Name:  614B53AB-CF74-48C1-AC7D-34E718310AA8.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  291.3 KB

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LaShae1995 (01-30-2022)

Thank you for the diagram 🙂 but her bottom teeth are behind the front ones is that ok?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

I got the PM you sent me. Before I spend a lot of time (not meant in disrespect, but I am extremely busy running 2 businesses and being a rehabilitator), please explain why you feel there are tooth issues. In my experience those with true issues are crystal clear and there is usually no question.
    Based on a quick glance at your thread I'm not seeing anything alarming. Please note the emphasis on quick glance.

Advice from fellow TSBers has been great and spot on.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

LaShae1995 (01-30-2022)

Looking at the photos you posted at 10:54AM, those teeth look about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by LaShae1995 View Post
    Also I was shown by someone that if you move the bottom jaw around and the teeth doesn't touch the roof of the mouth but you can hear and feel the back teeth grind then its ok. I did that test and her teeth doesn't touch and her back teeth did grind so maybe I'm just over reacting �� She did eat a pecan in the shell just now so maybe she was just not hungry when she first woke up this morning. Here is a cute picture of her in a bag around my head. She likes being carried around while I clean and my little sister made a baby carrier for her out of a drawstring backpack we got at the dollar tree. Affordable and cute as all heck ������
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

island rehabber (01-31-2022), LaShae1995 (01-30-2022)

Here is my Sweet Pea; she has a tooth that grows out of the middle of roof of mouth I have to trim:

Name:  A84EABB4-D2A9-4C67-9DBB-553D1ABC1467.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  113.2 KB

I’d show Doodles but all her upper/lower teeth have been extracted.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LaShae1995 (01-30-2022)

Thank you for the diagram 🙂 but her bottom teeth are behind the front ones is that ok?
    Yes, they should tuck right behind the top teeth. It isn't the top and bottom teeth grinding against each other that trim them down. The top teeth HOLD the nut in place; in fact, they float in the jaw and can spread apart in a V shape to act as prongs to hold the nut stationary. The BOTTOM teeth are the ones that chisel into the nut.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

island rehabber (01-31-2022)

When we had guniea pigs and rabbits with teeth problems they drooled and refused their favorite food. I thought that her bottom teeth were too long becuase they were touching her roof of the mouth but then my sister reminded me to see if the teeth could grind so if yall think they're OK then I can rest assured. I never owned a squirrel and its just scary thinking about everything that can go wrong. I'll keep an eye on them and go from there. Thank you all for your very fast reply. God Bless Yall 🥰

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LaShae1995 from:

Mel1959 (01-30-2022)

Also I wanted to thank everyone that has put up with me over the past few days. I'm a nervous wreck right now taking care of sick goats bunny and a squirrel i know nothing about. Yall are angels and I feel so blessed to have found this website. Thanks everyone 💕🐿❤

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaShae1995:

island rehabber (01-31-2022), Mel1959 (01-30-2022)

You’re welcome. That’s what we’re here for…to help others. We all started where you are and know how scary squirrel issues can be. Please don’t hesitate to reach out when you have a need.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LaShae1995 (01-30-2022)

If the bottom teeth ARE actually touching the roof of the mouth, they do need to be trimmed SLIGHTLY. You do not want them to pierce the roof of the mouth or she WILL have problems.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

LaShae1995 (01-30-2022)

Ok ill take a closer look when I get home 🙂

I hope these are better photos its surprisingly hard to get a picture of a squirrels teeth even with another person's help.
    I agree with TubeDriver, the teeth look perfect in post #4.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

LaShae1995 (02-26-2022)

I thought so too but they touch the roof of her mouth and her face is soaked in drool could there be another reason for her drooling?

I thought so too but they touch the roof of her mouth and her face is soaked in drool could there be another reason for her drooling?
    I have personally have no experience with this drooling that is happening. I have treated several youngsters whose teeth overgrew but after a trimming (or a few trimmings) things always worked out to where their teeth would start wearing down naturally. It is almost like the teeth development was off... maybe the lower erupted too soon or something... just my guess in lack of real documented evidence. Others have shared experiences where a cage with too far of bar spacing, and the squirrel chewing at the bars misaligned their teeth... this is why we recommended no more than 1/2" bar spacing on cages.

I had an NR (Step) that could not crack an in shell nut and would not chew on much other than soft wood. So he got routine trimmings.

When you say they touch the roof of her mouth, are you seeing little wounds in the roof of her mouth? Maybe its that she cannot close her mouth?

When I open her mouth and look inside I can see the bottom teeth touching the roof of her mouth no wounds or injuries but maybe it touching causes discomfort and therefore she begins to drool. ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast