Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Victoria not eating

Default Victoria not eating

Name:  CD6DFA45-8493-459D-B88D-6EB36DD58118.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  130.6 KB

This is how her dish had looked the last three days.
    This is how Honeysuckle did, before she suddenly died. I know there was an incident with her tail , but I still have my concerns there was an underlying issue??

The brown squares you see are her daily servings of baked boo bars. I’ve tried making them with 100% Henry’s, 100% Harlan, or Name:  2AADA4BC-08EA-4276-8AAF-E50D18DD8E3D.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  171.9 KBmixed, etc. They absolutely will not eat a plain Henry’s or Harlan block. I suppose I could try starvation method but at this point she’s not even eating them this way (doctored up)

I’m about to check her urine with a dipstick,

If it’s unremarkable, when do I get concerned??

How long can she go without any block/Henry’s in her body before MBD or something else makes her sick??

I have lost two in the last 3 weeks; I’m getting scared ,

Here is the total amount she has nibbled off of a bar , that’s it all day.

And yesterday, all 4 pieces were untouched: Name:  2AADA4BC-08EA-4276-8AAF-E50D18DD8E3D.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  171.9 KB

The one on left is barely nibbled, compare to the one on right.

That’s all the block she’s eating , daily , if at all,

What do I do, is she going to die??

Also, she has NO stashes. I checked everything last night,

Default Re: Victoria not eating

U/A dipstick was unremarkable but I’m going to collect another sample in the am and send it to the lab to make sure not missing something.

She is a flyer right? I don't know much about them. The only thing I can think if is to add more info here about here. Maybe someone will see something that will ring a bell?

How old is she?
    Any issues in the past?
    Her current weight? Is that more or less than usual?
    How long has she been off her diet?
    Any other symptoms or behaviors that are unusual for her?
    Did the other squirrels that you lost share the same cage or room?
    Peeing/pooping regularly?
    You mentioned giving acorns a while back? Could this be liver failure due to aflatoxin?

I'm sorry this is happening, it must be very scary.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (01-26-2022)

Is she drinking?

Sometimes they just don't eat. Drinking is a must thou.

Hope she eats soon, for her sake and yours!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Snicker Bar (01-26-2022)

This is my 4 yr old , grey, full para Victoria. Honey was a seemingly healthy partial para grey; also 4 yrs old. Teenie was a 5 yr old Flyer. He was housed in a separate area, the two greys have their own part of the house. No access to acorns. None actually had any; I had collected them and forgot I even had them (until Elliot!! Who still seems fine,) I will weigh her this am and collect a fresh urine to send off . That’s the only thing I’ve noticed is it looks a little darker on the tissue, but it was (-) on the dipstick for blood. She’s never been a big eater but I guess I’m paranoid now after two sudden losses; and with Honey, her full bowl for just a couple days was the only warning. I didn’t get worried , she looked just fine, then dead .

Can you feed her a gruel of baby food or pecan flavored Ensure? Or maybe a mixture of the two.
    Dr. E recommends fine grind Critical Care for supplementation. It has lots of healthy stuff in it, but also has Timothy or alfalfa hay and isn’t great tasting. It’s a powder mixed with water and either given by syringe or put in a bowl.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (01-26-2022)

She barely had any pee this am. I’m going back at lunch and recheck her bladder , and maybe sub q,

We don’t have that here but I can get some locally I’m sure,
    I’ve never had to force feed an adult, except Doodles post op,

I know in the wild they say they can go days without eating in the winter,

I guess I’m just trying to know, learn, when do we get concerned about a house squirrel going off food?

When is it considered critical? If a dog or cat doesn’t eat a couple days, something is wrong . Is this the same for rodents?

And how quickly does MBD come on, if no rodent block is going in,
    Does it happen in just days or is it a slow progressive process?

Sorry so many ?’s just trying to learn and not overreact. But don’t want to ignore if this is serious (barely eating )

MBD will take a while, and yes, not eating means something is likely going on. It could even be pain from something...

She may LIKE the ensure - and any flavor is okay, it doesn't have to be butter pecan. It isn't a regular diet but like for humans, it is a good way to get a lot of nutrition in her in a pinch... I would also start giving her hydration via syringe.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Snicker Bar (01-26-2022)

Thank you , she weighs approximately 300g. Do I just use the 5/7% body weight dose like for a baby squirrel?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-omnivore/

Squirrels do not eat Timothy hay. This product is far superior and is very easy on a taxed system. Only veterinarians and rehabilitators may purchase...you are both. I strongly recommend it and have used it to save the lives of countless squirrels. Some of their stories are even on the Emeraid site.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

15. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Chirps (01-29-2022), island rehabber (01-31-2022), Mel1959 (01-28-2022), Scooterzmom (01-27-2022), Snicker Bar (01-27-2022)

Good to know.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (01-27-2022)

I will order it stat, thank you. Headed home to check her now. Her urinalysis was positive for blood and calcium oxalate crystals. No bacteria.
    I managed to get some fluid in her last night and her bladder was a little fuller this AM. Will see how her dish looks tonight.

I’m going to repeat the U/A in the am and see if the crystals are a real finding , not artifact

I guess, I’m still not really sure what I’m dealing with here?

Could be diet, could be kidney stones, diabetes, obesity, dehydration etc etc

https://www.healthline.com/health/ca...alate-crystals

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I will order it stat, thank you. Headed home to check her now. Her urinalysis was positive for blood and calcium oxalate crystals. No bacteria.
    I managed to get some fluid in her last night and her bladder was a little fuller this AM. Will see how her dish looks tonight.

I’m going to repeat the U/A in the am and see if the crystals are a real finding , not artifact

I guess, I’m still not really sure what I’m dealing with here?

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Scooterzmom (01-27-2022), Snicker Bar (01-27-2022)

My para Polly is 3+ years. She and all the NR's tend to eat less in the winter, but surprisingly gain weight at same time.. which I can never understand. Some days they eat nothing... sometimes very little for several days. They tend to eat one thing one day and then something else another... Then other days they've eaten everything that was in the dish. Like they were saving up for a feast. I usually have a lot of leftovers / waste believing variety is key. If they go 3 days or so without eating much, I change things up and provide new variety. Butternut squash, sweet tater, broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snaps, spinach and grapes are my "staples" (along with HHB's). I'll provide things like tomatoes, summer squash, green beans, apples, Brussels sprouts if they are not eating much for a few days. I don't think the "what" is very important, but the change in variety is the key. I feed both Wild Bite and Picky HHB's to also have variety... occasionally the Hazelnut and when available I will order the mixed nut ones.,

I always try to hand out the HHB's separately, before the "buffets".. they get the HHB's while I am prepping their buffets. My belief is anything provided separately, handed out individually like this is accepted as a "treat" (except for my patriarch Zain, he ain't on board with this "psycho babble" I try... he just wants to be running free in the squirrel room during prep time). I have said it before, but it is like the Ice Cream trucks / carts of olden days... the thrill of the truck, the music, the upbeat experience of the event was better than the actual ice cream bar you bought from the truck / vendor. Anyone not eating their HHB's get tough love and fed nothing but HHB until and unless they eat them... and they always eventually will eat the HHB.

I fortunately have not experienced what you have with Honeysuckle... I hope my routine is helpful.

22. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (01-31-2022), Mel1959 (01-28-2022), Scooterzmom (01-27-2022), Snicker Bar (01-27-2022), TubeDriver (01-28-2022)

Thank you this is very encouraging to know others act this way in spells and different seasons. Your routine sounds very healthy! I will keep trying to vary things up. Just concerned about the blood and crystals,

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Mel1959 (01-28-2022)

Name:  36042F36-B4AB-404F-99B4-58EC76C19BAC.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  75.3 KB

Thoughts please??

I’ve had some very conflicting opinions from experts in their fields.

I’m certainly no expert, but crystals are usually cause for concern. I’m not sure if liquids will help flush them out of her system or not. Unless someone on here has some knowledge of reading these values as they relate to a squirrel, I think Dr. E would be the one to send them to for evaluation. Just my opinion.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (01-28-2022)

Here is a guide to urinalysis that
    may help:

https://webpath.med.utah.edu/TUTORIAL/URINE/URINE.html

I think that ketones should be expected if she is not eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Name:  36042F36-B4AB-404F-99B4-58EC76C19BAC.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  75.3 KB

Thoughts please??

I’ve had some very conflicting opinions from experts in their fields.

-Grateful Dead

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (01-28-2022)

Calcium oxalate (CaOx) crystals precipitate out in the urine when reach super-saturation. This is why dehydration is closely associated with (CaOx) crystal formation. For this reason it is always better to hydrate to inhibit crystal formation of CaOx.

Calcium citrate has been found in rats to inhibit the formation of Calcium oxalate. Calcium carbonate though was not found to inhibit the formation, but promote them, as this form has a high propensity to bond with Calcium carbonate in the bloodstream.

Paras are particularly more susceptible to forming (CaOx) crystals (stones and sludge in the bladder) due to their reduced digestive capability in general from nerve damage in their lower quadrant.

Probiotics with prebiotics aka: (symbiotics) degrade oxalic acid from the diet in the wild from good bacteria that squirrels consume found in the soil. In captivity, to avoid consuming bad bacteria also, recommend, "Pet Flora" Also plain or with vanilla organic yogurt that contains other known oxalate consuming species of good bacteria.

Sent you a copy of an Exotic Veterinary Journal of the chapter on Squirrels; see email.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (01-28-2022)

I guess after all these years (7?) I was thinking the vegetable mixes (ex Sweet Kale) were the healthiest, convenient and most economical way to get a variety of good things in an instant for my gang every night. But now, knowing she has a high level of calcium oxalate crystals in her bladder, I guess I just need to quit buying this stuff for good? Because the kale for ex is high oxalate …. It’s so confusing I guess. Some places/posts recommended kale, because it IS a good source for calcium. But I guess not for some predisposed to bladder issues?

And sadly, the ONLY other yummies she likes (ALL of them , for that matter ) are : sweet potato, very occasional corn, and sugar snap peas, avacado, and the “healthiest nut”, Almonds…. I thought I was doing good, giving these vs pecans, walnuts…

And , the Henry’s they prefer in boo balls is the Wild Bites ( has peanuts ); another culprit for oxalate crystals.

So, I guess just forget buying any veggies again?? They won’t touch groups 1 and 2 on the pyramid,

This is going to cause an uproar but apparently group three on the pyramid is not good for urinary health, at least not for Victoria

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast