Thread: Help !

Exclamation Help !

Please help very urgent. Can someone please help me diagnose this I have no idea what it is she’s losing weight has these weird open wounds. Not sure if this is relevant but her poop is abnormally small. We love her like family. Can someone please give us any ideas or guidance what we can do to help her.!Name:  867759D3-2BC0-49B2-9577-026785FD6D6B.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  115.8 KBName:  3E619474-B1BC-4538-9917-BAEE950DFBF5.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  119.7 KB
    Name:  0B2C5C14-E66D-4933-ABB6-C16C9555BA53.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  151.7 KB

Default Re: Help !

I have never seen anything like that before. Could this be some type of insect bite? You can wipe down these wounds with a dilute betadine solution (10%).

Although I can't tell you what is going on, I would do an extreme cage cleaning including everything in it and the room the cage is in.

Although this may not be a bacterial infection, there is a possibility of a secondary bacterial infection so I would attempt to get an antibiotic ready in case it is needed (cipro, clavamox etc).

How long has the been going on?

If you are in Fl, we have some experienced squirrel folks in the state who may be able to offer help/advice and there are some vets with squirrel experience there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mpond731 View Post
    Please help very urgent. Can someone please help me diagnose this I have no idea what it is she’s losing weight has these weird open wounds. Not sure if this is relevant but her poop is abnormally small. We love her like family. Can someone please give us any ideas or guidance what we can do to help her.!Name:  867759D3-2BC0-49B2-9577-026785FD6D6B.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  115.8 KBName:  3E619474-B1BC-4538-9917-BAEE950DFBF5.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  119.7 KB
    Name:  0B2C5C14-E66D-4933-ABB6-C16C9555BA53.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  151.7 KB
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

JLM27 (01-25-2022), RockyPops (01-25-2022)

Do you have a vet for her? Broward Avian and Exotic animal hospital in Deerfield Beach sees wildlife. 954-968-7171. That’s the closest vet to you that I know of.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

I tried to call when I was on my way there but I don’t have papers for her so they can’t help her=( I will do anything to help her I don’t care what it takes. Is there ANY thing I can get online for her? Anyone that will help please

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mpond731 from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

I tried to call when I was on my way there but I don’t have papers for her so they can’t help her=( I will do anything to help her I don’t care what it takes. Is there ANY thing I can get online for her? Anyone that will help please
    I'm so sorry, I don't understand why she needs papers...your in Florida it's OK to have a pet squirrel.
    Can you possibly get her to another vet, long drive but Dr Emerson in Port Orange FL is awesome 👍
    How long has she been like this?
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

Does she spend time outside? These look like burst abscesses - are there any present that don't have the scooped out appearance?

To dilute the 10% Betadyne (it is available in the wound care section of any drug store - it looks like a bottle full of blood!) mix 1/4 teaspoon of the betadyne into 1/4 cup water and just wet down the area with it. It doesn't sting or burn at all.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Does she spend time outside? These look like burst abscesses - are there any present that don't have the scooped out appearance?

To dilute the 10% Betadyne (it is available in the wound care section of any drug store - it looks like a bottle full of blood!) mix 1/4 teaspoon of the betadyne into 1/4 cup water and just wet down the area with it. It doesn't sting or burn at all.
    Yes there is little ones. No she does not go outside. I have called every veterinarian in my area and because she is an exotic with papers there’s nothing they can do. What I really need is a veterinarian in south Florida willing to do whatever it takes. I don’t care if I have to meet someone on the side of the road not even at the clinic invite them over to my house and pay them double

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mpond731 from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

I do not live in Florida but my understanding was that PET squirrels were legal for anybody, but you could not rehab and release without being a licensed rehabber.

What papers are you referring to? I know you are frightened - but you have stated that she does NOT have papers and that she HAS papers and I am confused.

In the meantime, call your friends, family, go on FB, etc., and see if you can find the human antibiotic Amoxicillin Clavulanate. It is sold under the name Augmentin and generic amoxiclav and other combinations of the drug name for humans. It is also sold as a pet med under the name Clavamox. Then go to the drug store and start using the Betadyne on all of the areas - both the bumps and the craters left when they burst.

Can you tell us what her diet is? Be as specific as you can.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

Also, you will need a 1cc syringe with clear markings on it to dilute and dose any medicine. If you do not have one, when you go to the drug store for Betadyne, ask the pharmacist for a 1cc syringe without the needle. Lie. Tell them that a neighbor's guinea pig had babies and rejected them and you need one to feed the babies.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Also, you will need a 1cc syringe with clear markings on it to dilute and dose any medicine. If you do not have one, when you go to the drug store for Betadyne, ask the pharmacist for a 1cc syringe without the needle. Lie. Tell them that a neighbor's guinea pig had babies and rejected them and you need one to feed the babies.
    Hi guys thanks for all the help I went and got betadine i also found clavamox online that I won’t need a prescription for I was wondering if I should get the liquid oral drops or the tablets? And also the dosage. She has a diet of rodent blocks nuts yogurt grapes blueberries avocado raw coconut.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mpond731 from:

RockyPops (01-25-2022)

Exclamation Re: Help !

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I have never seen anything like that before. Could this be some type of insect bite? You can wipe down these wounds with a dilute betadine solution (10%).

Although I can't tell you what is going on, I would do an extreme cage cleaning including everything in it and the room the cage is in.

Although this may not be a bacterial infection, there is a possibility of a secondary bacterial infection so I would attempt to get an antibiotic ready in case it is needed (cipro, clavamox etc).

How long has the been going on?

If you are in Fl, we have some experienced squirrel folks in the state who may be able to offer help/advice and there are some vets with squirrel experience there as well.
    She’s now throwing up A LOT and having diarrhea

Ugh. Poor baby.

You need to push fluids. I would get a bottle of pedialyte or make your own homemade hydration solution and use that. Small amounts pretty frequently - you don't want to trigger more vomiting. If you need to continue fluids after 24 hours - if the diarrhea is continuing, start mixing in plain water - you don't want to give pedialyte too long. I would also give her some pepto bismol - about .5ml, and then watch her. Could she have eaten something bad? They stash food and can eat things that have gone rancid - this may or may not be related to what is happening with her skin.

What size are the clav pills? I prefer them - much longer shelf life.

To dose anything, we will need to know her weight.

Yes there is little ones. No she does not go outside. I have called every veterinarian in my area and because she is an exotic with papers there’s nothing they can do. What I really need is a veterinarian in south Florida willing to do whatever it takes. I don’t care if I have to meet someone on the side of the road not even at the clinic invite them over to my house and pay them double
    These are vets in Florida that will definitely see squirrels and not seize. I know folks that have used them.

Avian and Animal Hospital, Tampa, FL 727-877-1400, Dr. Zellner
    Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando, 24 W. Sturtevant St, Orlando, Fl, 407-286-3484, Dr. Diaz
    Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic, 4540 S. Clyde Morris Blvd, Port Orange, Fl, 386-788-1550, Dr. Emerson
    Florida Wild Veterinary Hospital, 115 East Euclid Ave, Deland, FL 386-734-9899 (not sure of the doctors name so I’d call and ask)

I know you’re in Hollywood. I can tell you Dr. Emerson’s office is very easy to get to by going north on I95 to exit 256. She’s not far off the interstate so very easy traffic wise.

I think you should try to get her in to see one of them asap.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (01-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    These are vets in Florida that will definitely see squirrels and not seize. I know folks that have used them.

Avian and Animal Hospital, Tampa, FL 727-877-1400, Dr. Zellner
    Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando, 24 W. Sturtevant St, Orlando, Fl, 407-286-3484, Dr. Diaz
    Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic, 4540 S. Clyde Morris Blvd, Port Orange, Fl, 386-788-1550, Dr. Emerson
    Florida Wild Veterinary Hospital, 115 East Euclid Ave, Deland, FL 386-734-9899 (not sure of the doctors name so I’d call and ask)

I know you’re in Hollywood. I can tell you Dr. Emerson’s office is very easy to get to by going north on I95 to exit 256. She’s not far off the interstate so very easy traffic wise.

I think you should try to get her in to see one of them asap.

Just wanted to give everybody an update our baby is finally doing good her scabs are healing she starting to eat again. It’s all because of this pages help I can’t thank you all enough all the amazing information the community you guys have is nothing short of amazing so thank you. I really think that this page saved her life. I can’t thank you all enough

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to mpond731 from:

Mel1959 (01-30-2022)

I just can't tell you how happy I am to hear that. When you didn't return to the board after your very alarming post about her vomiting I honestly feared the worst. This is just awesome news! Thanks for letting us know.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (01-30-2022)

. “The worst” is always a fear of ours when a poster doesn’t come back on the board. I’m relieved to hear that your girl is getting back on track and that we could offer some help. After all….it takes a village ya’ know.

Just out of curiosity, did you end up taking her to a vet?

Sent you a pm.