Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poss uti or ?

Default Poss uti or ?

Hello I recently saved a baby female that was on the road. I straddled her with my truck and thankfully she wasn't harmed. I took her home and took care of her. When I got her she didn't have her eyes opened so I'm guessing she's about 4 months old now. Her vuvla is swollen and some hair is missing from her tail. Could it be a UI? And what do yall mean by abc's? I could try to post a picture but I really don't know how. Any advice sure would be helpful thank you. also she does butt scoot sometimes

Default Re: UTI or on heat?

Quote Originally Posted by LaShae1995 View Post
    Hello I recently saved a baby female that was on the road. I straddled her with my truck and thankfully she wasn't harmed. I took her home and took care of her. When I got her she didn't have her eyes opened so I'm guessing she's about 4 months old now. Her vuvla is swollen and some hair is missing from her tail. Could it be a UI? And what do yall mean by abc's? I could try to post a picture but I really don't know how. Any advice sure would be helpful thank you. also she does butt scoot sometimes
    Thank you for rescuing her
    *You may want to start a new thread about your squirrel, just so it doesn't get lost in this thread.
    I know there's many here to help answer your questions ��

*Thank you CC, this forum has now been created for her.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 01-23-2022 at 01:59 PM.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Your baby is too young to be going through her first estrus cycle. You need to search your medicine cabinet and call family and friends and post what antibiotics you can find, as well as the strength. Medicine is dosed by weight so you either need to weigh your squirrel or post a picture of it next to a familiar object so someone can estimate the weight.

To post a picture scroll down below the message box and there’s a little button that says “manage attachments”. Click on it and then you can add a picture from a file or take one.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LaShae1995 (01-23-2022)

I noticed today that my baby was sneezing and coughing a bit had a little bit of white discharge from k the nose but eyes aren't crusty and she looks good other than that. She usually zips out of her cage but today she crawled on my head and claimed me then went back to the her nest and went back to sleep after nibbling an orange slice. I don't have access to a squirrel friendly vet or prescription drugs such as baytril. Any advice? Also can squirrels have human amoxcillian? I seen online that they could but I just don't know my sister said that you can't give it to guniea pigs becuase it can cause gi problems.

Quote Originally Posted by LaShae1995 View Post
    I noticed today that my baby was sneezing and coughing a bit had a little bit of white discharge from k the nose but eyes aren't crusty and she looks good other than that. She usually zips out of her cage but today she crawled on my head and claimed me then went back to the her nest and went back to sleep after nibbling an orange slice. I don't have access to a squirrel friendly vet or prescription drugs such as baytril. Any advice? Also can squirrels have human amoxcillian? I seen online that they could but I just don't know my sister said that you can't give it to guniea pigs becuase it can cause gi problems.
    We steer away from (plain) amoxicillin for squirrels for the same reasons, it's too hard on their digestive tract.
    ClavaMox is a better alternative. Many human ab meds can be used, they just need to be diluted for a squirrels use and dosed properly.
    We can help do that with knowing what the med is, the milligrams of the med, and the weight of squirrel to be treated.

The link below can explain how you can post pictures...
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...load-a-picture
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

LaShae1995 (01-23-2022), Mel1959 (01-22-2022)

Default Re: Poss uti or ?

Thank you for replying back l so fast. I needed to start medicating her as soon as possible and I researched alot about different types of medicines commonly used on squirrels. I seen several people using Amoxicillin and I had some amoxidrops from our cats vet visit so I used that. I got the dossaging and everything from trusted squirrrle owners and she seems to be doing fine right now. This is her 2nd dose of it tonight which I just now gave her. I'm going to see how she's doing on the 3rd day of her treatment and go from there she will be taken completely off of it by day 7 which I hope to take her off as soon as I see some signs of her vuvla going down. This is the only medication I was able to score over the weekend but I definitely will try to get some Cipro as soon as I am able but I don't have squirrel friendly vet and my doctors won't always write me medications when needed. They do it as a favor due to the covid virus.

She pees on her stomach and has a swollen vulva ill try to post pictures. I hope this will be ok to treat her with until I'm able to get different medications. Thank you for replying back so fast yall. God Bless

I attached a photo of her stomach and vuvla hope this can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

More pictures

I sent you a private message.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LaShae1995 (01-24-2022)

Pictures taken today

Her vulva doesn’t look as red to me. Which meds are you giving?

This is from today her vuvla is still swelled and hard to the touch when I stimulate her Amoxicillin once per day this is her 4th day and salve once per night on her privates. Any suggestion I also have organic cranberry juice can she have some.

I just feel so bad for her 🥺

I was wondering could maybe this be heat or an early heatish thing? She rubs her butt on basically everything and its swelled but other than that she's fine. I guess she's peeing good she pees all over my bed and furniture 🙄 but since she had like a raw looking private and peeing all over herself and from what I read it sounded like a uti.....I wish I knew more about squirrels so I could help her. She's approx 5 to 6 months old now I'm guessing so I would also think too early but then again maybe her body is just trying to prepare itself.

--Yall guys are amazing for putting up with me. I'm just worried and sad for my baby and advice at all would be much much appreciated--

It SOUNDS so much like heat but from everything I know, she really is too young for that. I would keep her privates "lubed up" with neosporin or vaseline - to keep it soft and help with any soreness from dragging it.

Will do, I know it does to me. They say goats can't kid till they're two years old but we had one to kid at one year old so maybe she's an early bloomer... thank you again 🙏 🐿😊

Tonight I noticed her belly sticky like maybe she pee on herself again 😟 here are some photos of her tonight.

Feeding her a pecan was the only way I could make her stay still tonight sorry for the bad photos

I have been keeping an close eye on my baby girls bottom for the past few days and every day I looked it was what I thought was a normal vulva. It had a tiny opening at the end of her vulva and what seemed like a closed split that ran down. Tonight I noticed that split has completely opened. So know I am really suspecting heat but at 5 months? That just seems so young. I can post pictures if need be but they are more up close and shows the opened split so I didn't feel comfortable throughing that in everyone's face that came to look but if you need ill pm yall a picture just pm me asking for one. Would anyone know if maybe she's in heat and doesn't have a uti and if thats the case should I take her off of her antibotic and then take care of her like I have been. Being a first time squirrel mommy sure is stressful. 😬😓

So I was researching and I found this website which may finally put my mind at ease. Apparently they can become in heat as early as 5 and a half months which she is 😳 please let me know what yall think 🤔 🐿

Most female gray squirrels begin their reproductive life at 1.25 years of age but can bear young as early as 5 and a half months. Females may bear young twice a year for more than 8 years.

https://www.skedaddlewildlife.com/bl...ductive-phase/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast