Thread: Weird abnormal behavior looking for insight. Will include backstory kinda long.

Default Weird abnormal behavior looking for insight. Will include backstory kinda long.

If you want to skip back story get to issue last paragraph thank you. Btw everyone on here is amazing and thank you

I've rescued 20 over the last like 20 years or so only lost 2 to an unfortunate chemical accident. Rescued 2 baby's that where nested in my old hot tub I believe chemical exposure was the cause very sad. But ever since I've raised and rehabilitated and successful release of 18. Lucky number 21 was a rareity one out of 10 thousand she is an eastern grey that has the black fur. I'm in a very non squirrel state of Massachusetts where I'm a criminal for saving there lives without a license though vets can't take them or if they do 99% ends in uthinization unless the vet puts in the work at home and if there injured and you bring one in they will loose there medical license if they release back to your custody unless you take there uninformative class and pay the taxes to get a useless peice of paper. COVID interrupted that process for me. It's been just about 4 years I believe since I was brought an injured pinky kitten with fuze. It's a long shot when there that little. Lived in my spouse brazier and when my shifts a fleece scarf tide around my chest. We put in the work that's for sure. And unfortunately miss sexed it because it was a few years since having a squirrel we thought was a female but it's a male. Has no testicles and a rather abnormal penis smaller than usual. was injured had some scratches and blood some flees and we took it in did all the work. I was the first thing it ever saw first time it opened its eyes and my spouse was the second. So imprinted on me. Got it healthy did all we could to not handle hence the miss sexing though all it wanted was attention 24 7 after being able to eat solid food drink for itself and good coat of fur. Released it 300 or more yards away later that day I open our house door it out of nowhere was there clinging to me with a minor degloved tail. So we took it in healed it and went to go outside to release it a few weeks later and was like Velcro would not leave my side until it was able to b line into the house. So multiple failure's we said screw it and let it be a pet. Due to mis sexing we called her pretty girl and that's what she responds to along with her name. Ninja. We try saying boy and we tried for a year he wants nothing to do with that and the other male pets think we're talking to them so it's a black male squirrel that responds to pretty girl or who's my baby girl stuff like that I don't know how I screwed that up but we're stuck with it.

We had some injury's along the way the board helped us help him/her and we are so greatful. It's free roam it has a encloser door open when we are home even potty trained itself Wich is really weird. There is a big rock in her house and when he she needs to pee or other it goes in the rock corner and goes than comes back out. And has a hanging bird cloth tent up high from ceiling like a Mountain climbers overnight tent on a Clif face it uses for day naps or when where not home but within the first month it actually moved it's small toys and some fleece strips into our bedroom into a droor partially left open and made a second nest directly next to our bed enstead of being enclosed in the living room at night we thought was cute and let it have the droor. And in middle of the night will get up and go to living room and use the bathroom on the rock than drink and come back in the room with us to sleep. Actively day night alternates locations depending on where we are It's amazing. Everything has been fine for last 3 years but all of a sudden like a light switch last week or so she has become nocturnal sleeping all day and than waking me up all night to play like right now 1am she/he is angry I'm typing and keeps stepping on my phone patycaking my face and laying on my head bouncing around jumping off the wall mount tv onto my pile of pillows and tumbles down just to do it again. Than goes under Vanessa's hair as she sleeps getting her nose as close to her nose as possible like wake up and play. And if we don't give in pulls temper tantrums and will than chew something or steal something she knows is not allowed but it's done in spite to make us engage. Smart. Makes me wonder who's who's pet and who trained who.... Is this behavior normal by chance.
    Thank you
    Every footprint in this world matters.

Default Re: Weird abnormal behavior looking for insight. Will include backstory kinda long.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh and ninja View Post
    If you want to skip back story get to issue last paragraph thank you. Btw everyone on here is amazing and thank you

I've rescued 20 over the last like 20 years or so only lost 2 to an unfortunate chemical accident. Rescued 2 baby's that where nested in my old hot tub I believe chemical exposure was the cause very sad. But ever since I've raised and rehabilitated and successful release of 18. Lucky number 21 was a rareity one out of 10 thousand she is an eastern grey that has the black fur. I'm in a very non squirrel state of Massachusetts where I'm a criminal for saving there lives without a license though vets can't take them or if they do 99% ends in uthinization unless the vet puts in the work at home and if there injured and you bring one in they will loose there medical license if they release back to your custody unless you take there uninformative class and pay the taxes to get a useless peice of paper. COVID interrupted that process for me. It's been just about 4 years I believe since I was brought an injured pinky kitten with fuze. It's a long shot when there that little. Lived in my spouse brazier and when my shifts a fleece scarf tide around my chest. We put in the work that's for sure. And unfortunately miss sexed it because it was a few years since having a squirrel we thought was a female but it's a male. Has no testicles and a rather abnormal penis smaller than usual. was injured had some scratches and blood some flees and we took it in did all the work. I was the first thing it ever saw first time it opened its eyes and my spouse was the second. So imprinted on me. Got it healthy did all we could to not handle hence the miss sexing though all it wanted was attention 24 7 after being able to eat solid food drink for itself and good coat of fur. Released it 300 or more yards away later that day I open our house door it out of nowhere was there clinging to me with a minor degloved tail. So we took it in healed it and went to go outside to release it a few weeks later and was like Velcro would not leave my side until it was able to b line into the house. So multiple failure's we said screw it and let it be a pet. Due to mis sexing we called her pretty girl and that's what she responds to along with her name. Ninja. We try saying boy and we tried for a year he wants nothing to do with that and the other male pets think we're talking to them so it's a black male squirrel that responds to pretty girl or who's my baby girl stuff like that I don't know how I screwed that up but we're stuck with it.

We had some injury's along the way the board helped us help him/her and we are so greatful. It's free roam it has a encloser door open when we are home even potty trained itself Wich is really weird. There is a big rock in her house and when he she needs to pee or other it goes in the rock corner and goes than comes back out. And has a hanging bird cloth tent up high from ceiling like a Mountain climbers overnight tent on a Clif face it uses for day naps or when where not home but within the first month it actually moved it's small toys and some fleece strips into our bedroom into a droor partially left open and made a second nest directly next to our bed enstead of being enclosed in the living room at night we thought was cute and let it have the droor. And in middle of the night will get up and go to living room and use the bathroom on the rock than drink and come back in the room with us to sleep. Actively day night alternates locations depending on where we are It's amazing. Everything has been fine for last 3 years but all of a sudden like a light switch last week or so she has become nocturnal sleeping all day and than waking me up all night to play like right now 1am she/he is angry I'm typing and keeps stepping on my phone patycaking my face and laying on my head bouncing around jumping off the wall mount tv onto my pile of pillows and tumbles down just to do it again. Than goes under Vanessa's hair as she sleeps getting her nose as close to her nose as possible like wake up and play. And if we don't give in pulls temper tantrums and will than chew something or steal something she knows is not allowed but it's done in spite to make us engage. Smart. Makes me wonder who's who's pet and who trained who.... Is this behavior normal by chance.
    Thank you
    Hi! I've never had a house squirrel, so people who do will be able to answer whether they've had similar issues, but a couple of things jump out at me. First is that she would get up in the middle of the night to potty, even before this. As far as I know a squirrel in bed for the night doesn't get up until daylight. Are there lights on during the night, or can she just see well enough in the dark and/or know where she's going well enough to get there? Either way it just seems abnormal for a squirrel to get up once in bed for the night.

The other thing is what I put in red. Not sure what you're saying. Are you saying she hangs out in whatever area you and your spouse are, at any time of day or night? Have your habits changed any in recent weeks? Are you staying up later than usual, or were you staying up later than usual but now you're back to normal schedule but Ninja is not? If either of you is home all day the only thing I can suggest is to try to make her wake up and engage during more normal hours. At night make everything as dark as possible and go to bed at a set time yourselves so she gets that nighttime is BED time. That's all I got. Maybe someone else will have ideas that worked for them if they experienced the same as you are.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Mel1959 (01-19-2022)

Default Re: Weird abnormal behavior looking for insight. Will include backstory kinda long.

I am currently living with my second indoor squirrel and can tell you that this is normal (not the peeing in one place - boy do I envy you that!) but the sudden oddball sleeping habit thing.

Currently Zeke is banging around at 4AM wanting out of his enclosure every morning. If he slept in my room I am sure he would be playing nibble the nose and other fun games. I am a very early riser so I grant his wishes, and he comes into my room, has some breakfast, cuddles for a while and then goes to his nest in my room and sleeps for a few hours. Then more food and more sleep. And Repeat in the late afternoon. My GOD, he sleeps more than any animal I know. So did my other squirrel. Come spring, suddenly he will not want to get up until 10AM but then will be mostly up all day and want to stay up later into the night. The switch to the different schedule is NOT gradual, either - one day he is getting up at 4AM, the next it is 10AM! It is so bizarre. but I have gone through this now for five years and my other squirrel did the same thing. I just have enough sense to not let him sleep in my room with me!!

He has a big enclosure in my guest room. As one might imagine, I have few guests, since they have to sleep with the squirrel (not in the actual enclosure, I am not THAT bad a host) but those that have report being awakened by the ball in the end of the water bottle clicking several times a night. They absolutely DO get up to drink and I am sure, pee. I doubt this happens in the wild - going in search of water in the wild at night would be very hazardous, but if you have a shiny clean water bottle a couple feet from you, why not?

So it WILL end and likely start up again in the fall. I usually notice that this begins about the time Daylight Savings Time ends. Have fun!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Chirps (01-20-2022)