Thread: Baytril Dosage for possible Pneumonia?

Default Baytril Dosage for possible Pneumonia?

I have an adult male squirrel that started making sneezing sounds 2 days ago. He wasn't eating much and drinking TONS of water. We trimmed his teeth last night and didn't see any issues there. He appears to have a small amount of discharge from his nose. A little less active than normal. Does this sound like pneumonia? Also noticed recently that he had a small patch of hair missing on his side/back. Could this be related? I am so worried about him. Unfortunately I do not have access to vet care for him. I found some Baytril that is 68 MG that I have leftover from 2018. Would this be helpful for what he has going on? If so, what is the proper dosage and best way to administer it? He is picky so I doubt that I could mix it in his food.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I am new here but have read so much helpful information here for years before registering! You guy are awesome!

Default Re: Baytril Dosage for possible Pneumonia?

Quote Originally Posted by southernsquirrel View Post
    I have an adult male squirrel that started making sneezing sounds 2 days ago. He wasn't eating much and drinking TONS of water. We trimmed his teeth last night and didn't see any issues there. He appears to have a small amount of discharge from his nose. A little less active than normal. Does this sound like pneumonia? Also noticed recently that he had a small patch of hair missing on his side/back. Could this be related? I am so worried about him. Unfortunately I do not have access to vet care for him. I found some Baytril that is 68 MG that I have leftover from 2018. Would this be helpful for what he has going on? If so, what is the proper dosage and best way to administer it? He is picky so I doubt that I could mix it in his food.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I am new here but have read so much helpful information here for years before registering! You guy are awesome!
    Doesn't sound like pneumonia, not ruling it out but what we usually can contribute sneezing to is the teeth.
    Why did you have to trim his teeth? Are they not lining up, gotten too long?
    Posting a picture could help evaluate the patch of missing hair. Not likely it's related to whatever else is going on.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Default Re: Baytril Dosage for possible Pneumonia?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Doesn't sound like pneumonia, not ruling it out but what we usually can contribute sneezing to is the teeth.
    Why did you have to trim his teeth? Are they not lining up, gotten too long?
    Posting a picture could help evaluate the patch of missing hair. Not likely it's related to whatever else is going on.

We trimmed them because they had gotten a little too long. Nothing that appeared to be causing any obstruction or pain necessarily, but definitely due for a trim. His top teeth do grow a little to the left side of his mouth. Even after trimming them, they slightly curve. He has been sleeping sleeping alot and was closing his eyes while sitting up. I can just tell overall that he doesn't feel good and isn't his normal happy self. He makes sneezing sounds and I can hear a slight sound when he breathes through his nose. Also, in addition to the sneezing noises he will make a random sound that sound like a mix between a sneeze and a squeal. 😭 I can try to get a picture of his hair a little later when someone gets home to help me hold him still. He definitely doesn't make that easy😂❤