Thread: Need Release Companion

Hybrid View

Question Need Release Companion

Help! I have been rehabbing a female squirrel under the direction of a licensed rehabber here in Louisville, KY. Evie is 5 months and needs to be released when it gets warmer. I understand if she is released alone she will likely not survive so I’ve been looking for a companion squirrel for her. I am running out of time! Can anyone help?

Default Re: Need Release Companion

I’m not sure where you heard that a single released squirrel will not survive. This is only true if it is a flying squirrel. Is Evie a flying squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure where you heard that a single released squirrel will not survive. This is only true if it is a flying squirrel. Is Evie a flying squirrel?
    Thank you for your response. My rehabber told me that if Evie has a companion she will do much better. She said that squirrels released in a bonded group do the best, but a duo is even better than a single squirrel.

So Evie is a gray squirrel? If so, yes it’s true that ideally they do better being released with a Buddy, but at 5 months old it is questionable whether she will Buddy-up with another squirrel. It’s my understanding that the best time to put squirrels together is when they are weeks old, not months old.

I think there has been success when two older squirrels are placed into a neutral environment like a release cage if it’s large enough for each to have their own space. Putting one squirrel into another squirrels cage (territory) at this age could result in fighting. It’s for that reason that I question that Evie will accept another squirrel at this late time.

On a positive note, I have released several singleton squirrels and they have all done fine. What I believe is most important is that the squirrel be released when there’s tree coverage and food sources. In Evie’s case that won’t be till Spring which also coincides with the other criteria I believe helps with a successful release, which is being older.

I do not know of anyone in or near Louisville, KY that can help, I’m sorry to say. But I can reassure you that if you don’t find a buddy, Evie will probably do just fine.

It might be helpful to list the area you’re in in the title of the thread so it will be easily seen.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ddhall (01-13-2022), Grinderhead (01-13-2022)