Thread: 5 month old brother and sister……

Default 5 month old brother and sister……

I have a male and female 5 month old gray, my question is should I continue to cage them together or separate? They sleep together and seem to like each other’s company but occasionally they do spar. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: 5 month old brother and sister……

What is your plan for these two moving forward? Do you plan to release them in the spring? Are you sure they’re siblings……you got them both at the same time? What size cage are they in?

What diet are you feeding them? Giving any kind of nut could escalate the aggression. Are they eating a rodent block and fresh vegetables? Nuts are to be given as an occasional treat. Giving multiple nuts can lead to intensified food aggression with cage mates, and with you, as they will stash them in their cage somewhere.

It’s normal for squirrels, siblings or cage mates, to squabble. It shouldn’t be a problem unless the cage isn’t large enough for each to have a safe place to retreat to. You also need to be sure that one isn’t being bullied to the point of being stressed or not having access to the food bowl. There have been instances where one squirrel has been denied food by a bullying cage mate.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (01-10-2022), Scooterzmom (01-10-2022), stepnstone (01-10-2022)

Smile Re: 5 month old brother and sister……

They were from the same nest, mom was killed by neighborhood dog. I feed them 2 Henry food blocks each daily. I feed twice a day fresh vegetables and fruits and they get nuts twice a week, they each have their own food dish. Their cage is 3’ X 3’ X 5’. We are going to build a bigger cage in a few weeks, just trying to get over Christmas. I don’t plan on releasing because we live in a sub division and the dogs aren’t required to be penned (outside of city limits) we loose a lot of squirrels due to dogs. They do get aggressive with food, he is more of a bully and tries to bully her away from her dish but she is assertive. Just wondering if they will need to be separated so we can accommodate with the new cage build which will be 6’ long 7’ tall and 3’ wide.