Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Squirrel wounded

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 5

    Default Squirrel wounded

    My almost one year squirrel escaped and came into contact with one of my rats resulting in a fight. I wasn’t in the room so don’t know exactly what happened. She is a smaller squirrel about 145 grams and now has a open wound (not bleeding but definitely skinned) near her butt, I believe a bite. What can I do to make her feel better medicine wise and treatment wise and can a bite from a rat have an affect like a cats can? Please help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    8,843
    Thanked: 11682

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    I would cleanse the wound with Betadine that’s been diluted with warm water to look like weak tea. You don’t have to rinse it, it won’t dry sticky.

    It doesn’t appear that rat saliva contains Pasteurella bacteria like a cats does, but it does contain several other bacteria. Whether these would be harmful to a squirrel, I don’t know. I hope someone with more knowledge will respond and provide guidance.

    In the meantime please look for any antibiotics you can find (human or animal) in case someone deems it necessary to give to your squirrel.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 01-08-2022 at 07:40 AM.

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    SASHA- (01-08-2022)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    19,765
    Thanked: 12079

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    What kind of squirrel is this? 145g is EXTREMELY small for an adult squirrel.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

    SASHA- (01-08-2022)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,637
    Thanked: 12689

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    A rat bite can result in rat bite fever, since it can effect dogs, other animals as well as humans it could effect a squirrel.
    Rat bite fever is the term used for infections by two different bacteria that rats carry. The first is streptobacillus moniliformis,
    which leads to streptobacillary rat bite fever. The second is called spirillum minus, which causes spirillary rat bite fever.
    This is also sometimes known as sodoku.

    If there was any actual breaking of the skin I would be tempted to use an anti biotic as a precaution as symptoms can take 3-10 days to appear.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    SASHA- (01-08-2022)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    A rat bite can result in rat bite fever, since it can effect dogs, other animals as well as humans it could effect a squirrel.
    Rat bite fever is the term used for infections by two different bacteria that rats carry. The first is streptobacillus moniliformis,
    which leads to streptobacillary rat bite fever. The second is called spirillum minus, which causes spirillary rat bite fever.
    This is also sometimes known as sodoku.

    If there was any actual breaking of the skin I would be tempted to use an anti biotic as a precaution as symptoms can take 3-10 days to appear.
    I was reading about this I put some anti bacterial on the bite as it did break the skin. What kind of anti biotic would you recommend.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    What kind of squirrel is this? 145g is EXTREMELY small for an adult squirrel.
    Her breed is a round tailed ground squirrel. She’s a small breed of squirrel.

  10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SASHA-:

    Diggie's Friend (01-09-2022), TubeDriver (01-08-2022)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,637
    Thanked: 12689

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    Quote Originally Posted by SASHA- View Post
    I was reading about this I put some anti bacterial on the bite as it did break the skin. What kind of anti biotic would you recommend.
    Clavamox - Ciprofloxacin - *Baytril*(animal med)
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    SASHA- (01-08-2022)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Clavamox - Ciprofloxacin - *Baytril*(animal med)
    How many mg or what measurement would you say to give her?

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    3,048
    Thanked: 3000

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    'Symbiotics', (probiotics with prebiotics) to use concurrent with Antibiotics.

    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...93#post1335393

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    8,843
    Thanked: 11682

    Default Re: Squirrel wounded

    Quote Originally Posted by SASHA- View Post
    How many mg or what measurement would you say to give her?
    Post what meds you find or have and the strength and someone will be able to give instructions on dosing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •