Thread: Not Wanting to Wean?

Default Not Wanting to Wean?

So I've seen lots of people say their babies are ready to wean/losing interest in milk at 12-14 weeks. So when Elliot hit that mile stone I was expecting him to slow down. Well here we are at the start of week 16 and he has not lost an ounce of interest in that formula 😂
    That's fine with me, because I know he's getting full. But my question is how long do I let this go on? If he doesn't slow down in a week or so should I cut him back?
    Here is our routine
    Morning (7am) I offer 1 Henry's healthy block and a few of the "old" blocks (Kaytee picky eaters in the blue bag)
    Around lunch time I offer some more blocks and give him a bowl of veggies off the pyramid
    2-3pm I give him 10% of his weight in formula. I still weigh every day, sometimes every other but usually every day.
    Bedtime I offer some more veggies and sometimes a sliver of grape, strawberry or orange. No fruit every day tho 🙂

He loves his blocks and veggies. He has no problem eaten them and he seems to be eating enough so I'm a little confused why he's still so enthusiastic about milk time. I will not stop giving it to him until he's ready to wean, just curious what others have experience?

Default Re: Not Wanting to Wean?

Who knows why one squirrel will take milk indefinitely and another weans itself at 12 weeks? I have heard of many squirrels taking formula from a bowl when out in the release cage. I personally have a released female who is 5 years old and she will still occasionally take several syringes full of formula when I call her down from her box in the tree.

I say just go with it as you know it’s a great source of nutrition and calcium. I’d never suggest that you try to discourage your squirrel from taking formula.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (01-09-2022), SquElliot (01-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Who knows why one squirrel will take milk indefinitely and another weans itself at 12 weeks? I have heard of many squirrels taking formula from a bowl when out in the release cage. I personally have a released female who is 5 years old and she will still occasionally take several syringes full of formula when I call her down from her box in the tree.

I say just go with it as you know it’s a great source of nutrition and calcium. I’d never suggest that you try to discourage your squirrel from taking formula.
    Thank you so much for your feedback! I'll continue with the formula as long as he wants it, as you said, I know he's getting what he needs from it so I will continue to offer!

Yep I've always let them ween themselves 🤗
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

SquElliot (01-10-2022)

Curious here. Is he still taking it in a syringe or drinking it from a bowl? My baby switched to a bowl after . . . 7? 8? 9? weeks, can't remember, but she was shredding the syringes so a bowl got to be more practical. I'm wondering if he just enjoys this special time/ritual with you, or just LOVES his formula.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Scooterzmom (01-10-2022), SquElliot (01-10-2022)

He did start shredding the syringes a few weeks ago, we even had a scare where he got a bit of the miracle nipple stuck in his throat (he ended up coughing it up) since that day we haven't used a syringe and he drinks out of a bowl!

I've wondered if he is just very schedule oriented! If there is something I have to do and feed him early or late he is just beside himself lol so 🤷 who knows!