Thread: Possible UTI? Not sure - newbie to forum

Default Possible UTI? Not sure - newbie to forum

Hi, I’m new to the forums and not sure if this belongs here…my only indication is that if this IS a uti, it would be life threatening…if it isn’t, this is in the wrong place.

Okay let me see if I can give a quick background:

Im in southern connecticut. A group of baby squirrels were born in a tree in our neighbors yard around February/March 2020. I feed the squirrels and birds every day so it was easy to notice and track.

In July 2020, I saw one dragging themselves across our yard - back legs almost entirely immobile - it could shift them slightly but couldn’t use them otherwise. I managed to snag the squirrel (eastern grey) in early august 2020 a day before a hurricane hit us - she was so incapable of moving those legs that I caught up to her and caught her in a toy butterfly net my kids have - she couldn’t even fight me to escape. Called a local nature reserve and rehab for help. They told me that I could try a vet but that the vet would likely recommend euthanizing immediately. She had plenty of life to live so I refused that outcome. Fast forward to now, shes in a room in our house trying to gain leg strength back.

She can walk and sort of climb - gotten much healthier. I’m 90% sure it’s a girl? No visible testicles - at least nothing like what I’ve seen on boys outside. She had one incident of blood in her urine months ago - I wondered if she was in heat - but it promptly went away.

A week or so ago, blood in the urine was back. Again resolved on its own but now there’s a mucus-like discharge, her rear legs are wet a lot of the time, and she stinks to high heaven. Appetite is great, still drinking water, super playful and energetic, still busy busy busy, but smelly.

She eats squirrel feed from Exotic Nutrition. Lately she’s much less interested in eating it vs hiding it everywhere. She’s VERY fussy and limited with fresh foods. She’ll eat MAYBE a slice of pear, apple, or a single grape but then loses interest for days or weeks. She has had zero interest in oranges, avocados, lettuce, peppers, spinach. Yesterday she seemed to like escarole. It’s been hard to find fresh stuff she’ll eat.

She’s still pooping normally from what I’ve seen so I don’t think it’s diarrhea. From having male cats, I know they’re typically the ones that mark things and stink so maybe I’ve guessed the gender wrong and this is a male squirrel…? I don’t know if there’s a difference like that in squirrels.

Ive been spritzing her bottom with water to help at least rinse it - she seems to appreciate that.

I have found two tablets of azithromycin 250 mgs. And I have a very VERY old prescription of amoxicillin in my refrigerator left over from my cats from roughly 2016 - idk if that’s any good. I haven’t given her anything medicine wise but thought I’d at least toss those in as potential options? Thanks to covid, vets around here aren’t even taking our cats, Nevermind a squirrel, and Idk that I can even trust one enough to bring her in. Any thoughts? I’ll try to attach a picture - it’s not a great one but it at least gives an idea.

If I’ve posted this in the wrong place, I’m sorry - I’ll take it down ASAP - I’m still figuring all of this out. Name:  EED85D3B-01D6-46A0-A12F-3EF7C7B4AF48.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  105.8 KBName:  EED85D3B-01D6-46A0-A12F-3EF7C7B4AF48.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  105.8 KB

Default Re: Possible UTI? Not sure - newbie to forum

It sounds like a course of antibiotics is warranted in my opinion. I’m not sure about that antibiotic for a UTI or for squirrels. I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in. You can call around to family and friends and see if anyone might have a single antibiotic pill you could have. If you list the drug and the strength someone can tell you if it will work. They will also need to know the approximate weight of the squirrel for accurate dosing.

As for her diet….Exotic Nutrition has never been known to provide a high quality nutritional food. A rodent block is imperative for your squirrels health. Most picky squirrels will eat Henry’s Healthy Picky Eater blocks or Hazelnut blocks. They must be purchased online at Henry’s Pets. An average squirrel only needs 2 blocks per day along with a variety of healthy vegetables and limited fruits and treats. You might try these as they are more readily accepted than the alternative which is a hard extruded block like Envigo Harlan Teklad 2018, Oxbow Regal Rat or Mazuri Rat Food. Here’s the link for a healthy diet for captive squirrels. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (01-06-2022), stepnstone (01-04-2022), SylvieSquirrel (01-05-2022)

Thank you for the heads up on the food - it comes with the rodent blocks in it but I’m always on the look out for better nutrition when it comes to any and all of my animals.

I didn’t think those meds would be the best but I figured they’d be worth mentioning. This is the one time I wish I’d have ignored a doctor’s advice and not taken a full course of antibiotics lol thank you so much for your help! I’ll keep asking around - hopefully someone I know has something.

Is she tame enough for you to weigh her? We dose meds by weight. If not, perhaps you can take a pic of her and something like a soda can in the frame for size comparison so we can take a semi-educated guess.

Henrys food: https://www.henryspets.com/diets/ The first three items on the page is what you want. The hazelnut and Picky blocks seem to be the faves.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (01-05-2022), SylvieSquirrel (01-06-2022)

She definitely won’t let me weigh her - we’ve gotten to a point where she at least doesn’t think I’m trying to kill her all the time - she’s happy to play (and tear up my hands with her claws in the process lol) but without biting - lots of roughhousing - and I can pet her while she’s in her sleep bin (huge storage bin filled with fluff and bedding - no lid), but picking her up is a no-go. I have a few pictures of her near semi-familiar objects - idk if they’re helpful at all. I also have four male guinea pigs who are roughly the same age…she might be around their weight, maybe a little lighter. In this picture she’s next to an eight ounce spray bottle. Name:  0700D4BD-96C5-45A3-A9F8-F01498333E05.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  117.2 KB

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SylvieSquirrel from:

Mel1959 (01-05-2022)

Bump.

I’m terrible at estimating weight and I’ve never dosed azithromycin. I hope someone who is familiar with both of these issues will respond. You couldn’t find any other antibiotic?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SylvieSquirrel (01-06-2022)

So far I haven’t had any luck. All of a sudden everyone I know finishes their damn antibiotics. I have very old amoxicillin in the refrigerator - it’s from around 2016 and was for my cat. It’s liquid form so I’m not sure how well that holds up even with constant refrigeration.

I have checked around and have not found anyone who has given or used azithromycin on a squirrel.
    Since not being a proven med for its use I wouldn't suggest attempting to use it.

Outside (plain) Amoxicillin not being recommended for squirrels due to being so hard on their systems.
    Liquid meds /meds in suspension usually have an expiration date and should not be used beyond that point.

I am going to pm you information on another avenue for possible help in your area....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SylvieSquirrel (01-06-2022)

Thank you! What meds should I be on the lookout for?

Quote Originally Posted by SylvieSquirrel View Post
    Thank you! What meds should I be on the lookout for?
    I sent you a pm for contact, I'm going to send you another pm with the phone number of that
    contact who just gave their permission to do so.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (01-06-2022), Mel1959 (01-06-2022)