Thread: Rescued adult grey squirrel, injured/possibly paralyzed

Default Rescued adult grey squirrel, injured/possibly paralyzed

Hello all,

We found an adult grey squirrel in our backyard yesterday late afternoon (Jan 2). On the lawn we saw he had no mobility in his back legs and tail. We found posts on here about similar situations where partial/full mobility was restored (with prednisone). The squirrel doesn't seem to be in pain.

The squirrel is currently in a separate quiet room in a cat carrier with some towels (we wanted to change them to a carpet piece but decided to let him sleep as he was chittering and jerking towards when we approached the door. We didn't want to stress him out anymore. We dropped near him a couple organic blueberries, a walnut and pecan. He looks alert and strong. We are planning to get him a rodent water bottle asap (other suggestions to hydrate?). We saw a nice-sized piece of poop but don't know if he's able to pee.

Talked to City Wildlife in DC to possibly deliver him tomorrow, but we're worried they could quickly decide to euthanize rather than give him a chance. We would ideally like to bring him to an experienced rehabber to help ASAP. Can anyone suggest someone or point us to a list of vets or rehab centers in the MD/DC/VA area that could help?

We would really like to give this guy (or gal) a proper chance at life. When we discovered him, he was on the ground while another squirrel (we dubbed him Sentry) stood guard, kept checking on the injured squirrel and chasing away other squirrels that got too close. Sentry stayed with the squirrel until it was almost dark and then eventually had to go up the tree trunk, he was the last squirrel to go up for the night. Sentry even came down one last time to the face of his pal on the ground. It was heartbreaking to watch.

Thank you so much for any help on this!

Default Re: Rescued adult grey squirrel, injured/possibly paralyzed

Let me see if I can find someone in your area. Are you willing to drive him somewhere if needed?

Thank you! Yes, we are willing to drive.

I’ve reached out to some members in those areas for help. If he can’t urinate, which is completely possible with a spinal injury, it is life threatening.

Thank you for wanting to help him.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

tam (01-03-2022)

Thank you so much, we'll await any updates. We wanted to disturb him as little as possible but could check if there's any urine in the carrier if it's an emergency. Fortunately, there was poop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’ve reached out to some members in those areas for help. If he can’t urinate, which is completely possible with a spinal injury, it is life threatening.

Thank you for wanting to help him.
    Hello again, did you get any response from any of the members?

A small update: We were able to gently move him to a box (with a cloth piece as a makeshift gurney) to clean up his carrier, add a small dish with a sampler of fresh blueberries, romaine, arugula, carrot and walnuts, as well as attach the rodent water bottle (though not sure if he will know to drink from this?). He was pretty calm during the move and is now curled up like a little kitty back in the carrier. Didn't show interest in the food but we hope he might try some while he's alone or in the morning. Saw some yellow spots on the towel (about 1 inch in diameter) that was previously inside the carrier but don't know what this could be.

Any advice on how to get him to drink from an eye dropper or syringe? Would adding something to the water make him more interested in it? Is there a particular food that would spark his interest and be difficult to resist for a wild squirrel?

The yellow spots are probably urine…that’s good.

There is a rehabber in Maryland that can help with meds if you are going to keep him and try to help him., but cannot take him at this time. I’m still trying to find another rehabber in that general area that can help. I will post on here if I find someone.

Most squirrels love sugar snap peas, avocado (no skin or pit), fresh corn and fresh coconut chunks, as well as the obvious…. nuts. Almonds are the least harmful of the nut varieties.

Wild squirrels definitely know how to drink from a water bottle, but due to his limited mobility this may be problematic for him. A small shallow bowl of water with some clean rocks or marbles in it might also help. You can add a small amount of honey to the water to make it more enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    The yellow spots are probably urine…that’s good.

There is a rehabber in Maryland that can help with meds if you are going to keep him and try to help him., but cannot take him at this time. I’m still trying to find another rehabber in that general area that can help. I will post on here if I find someone.

Most squirrels love sugar snap peas, avocado (no skin or pit), fresh corn and fresh coconut chunks, as well as the obvious…. nuts. Almonds are the least harmful of the nut varieties.

Wild squirrels definitely know how to drink from a water bottle, but due to his limited mobility this may be problematic for him. A small shallow bowl of water with some clean rocks or marbles in it might also help. You can add a small amount of honey to the water to make it more enticing.
    Thank you for the tips! Will try those foods and the bowl of water in the morning. He's sleeping now. (Would defrosted organic frozen baby peas and corn work fine?)

Could you possibly connect us with the rehabber who can advise on meds? Even a short phone consult would be a great help. We have had many critters in the past but never a squirrel and would ideally want him to be cared for by someone who is experienced in squirrels, but we would like to do whatever we can to help him in the meantime.

I have reached out to the rehabber for meds.

I have sent you a private message with a rehabbers number who will provide you meds. I’m sorry I haven’t found anyone to take him yet, but getting the prednisone in him asap may help tremendously.

Private messages are accessed from the notifications heading at the top of the page if it doesn’t automatically pop up on your screen.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (01-04-2022), stepnstone (01-04-2022)