Thread: Rehoming 3-yr. old Squirrel in Central FL

Default Rehoming 3-yr. old Squirrel in Central FL

Hello, all! I've been reading TSB for a few years now and just remade an account as it seems my old account was deleted.

I've been having a dilemma for sometime regarding a squirrel I've cared for three years now. His name is Cashew, an eastern gray squirrel, and I rescued him in November of 2018. He was injured on a sidewalk near a busy street in Orlando with no mother in sight. Once he was properly rehydrated and cleaned up, I attempted the following days to reunite him with his mother in the area where I found him with no luck. I had gathered based off of information from numerous sources (including The Squirrel Board) that he was about 6-7 weeks old. He's been with me ever since.

I've planned release efforts numerous times to get him back into the wild, but they have fallen through for a number of reasons. I'm afraid now that he's over-socialized and that I don't personally have the resources to give him a safe release. My upcoming living situation has changed somewhat drastically and I am no longer able to hold onto him much longer than a month.

This is a very difficult decision as I love him very much. He is my best friend. I've done the best I can to ensure that he lives a safe and comfortable life, but I know he needs more than that. He is very active and in great health, and I have no doubt he would thrive in the wild if given the appropriate opportunity.

I have reached out to a few rehabbers with very little luck. I am looking to rehome Cashew near Central Florida with somebody who has the space to begin his release process, if possible.

Any input anybody has to offer would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Here are a few photos of Cashew for reference:

Name:  cashew1.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  120.9 KB
    Name:  cashew2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  117.1 KB

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Patterson:

Diggie's Friend (12-29-2021), island rehabber (12-30-2021)

Default Re: Rehoming 3-yr. old Squirrel in Central FL

Cashew is adorable
    I don't have any experience with releasing a squirrel at this age, but I'm sure that you will be getting some guidance by our more experienced members soon.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Patterson (12-30-2021), sundoesshine (12-29-2021)

What are his behaviors that indicate that he would thrive in the wild? And why do you say he’s over socialized? It would seem the two statements are contradictory.

I know of some rehabbers in the Central Florida area and I’m about an hour east of you in Indian Harbour Beach. I have released plenty of squirrels but never one as old as your guy. I have a rehabber friend on the west coast of Florida that has released squirrels that are as old as your guy, though.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Patterson (12-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What are his behaviors that indicate that he would thrive in the wild? And why do you say he’s over socialized? It would seem the two statements are contradictory.

I know of some rehabbers in the Central Florida area and I’m about an hour east of you in Indian Harbour Beach. I have released plenty of squirrels but never one as old as your guy. I have a rehabber friend on the west coast of Florida that has released squirrels that are as old as your guy, though.
    Perhaps I'm jumping ahead of myself assuming he would thrive in the wild. I suppose that's not my call to make.

I say he's over-socialized because he has spent a substantial amount of time around me and other people. He climbs and jumps on me and other people he's been around and I know that would be dangerous for him if he were released.

Again, I would like to put him in the hands of someone who can take care of him and make the call of whether to release him or not.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth, sounds to me he needs to find a forever home. Many squirrels get adopted even older then he is 👍
    I've adopted and they do very well.
    Hopefully someone will be able to give him a good home 🙏
    Keep bumping your thread 🐿
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

MyBushyTail (01-03-2022)

Are you still looking for someone to take your squirrel to prepare for release? I might have someone near Orlando that can help.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

gunpackingrandma (01-08-2022)