Thread: Cleaning/deterring urine

Default Cleaning/deterring urine

First - MANY thanks to everyone who has helped during the first few months with Lady Templeton (who has somehow become lovingly referred to as Toot Toot or Pancake, for some reason lol) - she is just over 4 months old and is *thriving*!!!

I have a question about cleaning urine - particularly from wood - and hopefully deterring her from peeing in the same spot allllllllllll the time.

She is living in a critter nation, and has large branches that she practices parkour on all day, as well as an elevated nesting box that is very much her private space. We first tried the tray liner as a floor covered in litter, but she only kicked it out. So we modified the cage so that the tray slides *under* the cage floor, and is filled with litter (so far we’ve tried CareFresh paper litter and ground walnut shell litter, as well as a mixture of both, but none of it seems to trigger the “pee here” instinct. Also tried adding a small litter box in the corner, but she only ever used it to play in… never pee. Instead she pretty much only pees on one spot — the top of one of the wood perches. And it’s getting pretty impossible to clean since it just absorbed it!

I’ve been cleaning that perch with only hot water, because I’ve been unsure about what type of cleaner would be safe. I’m hoping you may have a suggestion on a product to use. Additionally, is there one that would deter her from continuing to pee here (I have heard that this sort of thing exists for cats and dogs). Lastly - *how on earth* do we get her to use the litter box?!?!

It’s been a lot of heavy sighs when it comes to this, but literally EVERYTHING ELSE she does is perfect and adorable.

Name:  06DE9701-8248-41A8-9022-55275708A9A6.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  124.9 KB

P.S. here is her holiday card

Name:  41B4906B-509F-4811-8894-5B58705B07A2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  114.8 KB

@ the.lady.templeton if you follow babies on instagram!

Default Re: Cleaning/deterring urine

The most obvious way to encourage them to go in one place is to put something they’ve soiled in the spot that you want them to use. This might be hard to do now that she’s using a tree limb.

I don’t know of anything that deters them from using a particular area, others might. You can clean the area with some vinegar water, it might deter her, but I’ve never tried it. I have cleaned nest boxes with vinegar water with no I’ll effects.

Is she non releasable? I’m curious as to why it’s so important that she use a litter pan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Is she non releasable? I’m curious as to why it’s so important that she use a litter pan?
    The litter is being used simply as a means to keep the cage clean and the smells at bay. Will be releasing her in the Spring once the weather is warm enough again, but since we knew that she’d be living inside for so long until then, we were looking for ways to keep the smell in the cage down (I clean it daily, but our home is one giant open-concept room so there’s no escaping the smells when they’re getting soaked up by the wood).

I also use white vinager on all wood, I even add it to the washer when I wash squirrel blankets. It actually is a disinfectant and safe, but I wipe it down with a paper towel.
    May not make her use another spot but it will make it less smelly 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

stepnstone (12-27-2021), Templeton (12-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton View Post
    The litter is being used simply as a means to keep the cage clean and the smells at bay. Will be releasing her in the Spring once the weather is warm enough again, but since we knew that she’d be living inside for so long until then, we were looking for ways to keep the smell in the cage down (I clean it daily, but our home is one giant open-concept room so there’s no escaping the smells when they’re getting soaked up by the wood).

There is another product that helps with urine smells, but not remarking. It’s called K.O.E. (Kennel Odor Eliminator) and is purchased online. It is used by vet clinics and kennels to eliminate urine, feces and any vomit smells and is completely safe to use around animals. I have purchased both the dog fresh scent version and the cat version and both smell nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    There is another product that helps with urine smells, but not remarking. It’s called K.O.E. (Kennel Odor Eliminator) and is purchased online. It is used by vet clinics and kennels to eliminate urine, feces and any vomit smells and is completely safe to use around animals. I have purchased both the dog fresh scent version and the cat version and both smell nice.
    So I'm guessing squirrel safe, good to know 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

I think that is a wonderful cage and set up you have for her!

Usually mine just pee through the cage bars... so the cages are placed on plastic that is easy to clean.

I wish some company should make a cage as substantial as a Critter Nation cage but with the small access doors (in addition to the large doors?) and drop through pans as you have devised... I prefer flight cages for my releasable squirrel because of the small doors and drop through, but they do not last long (and require modification, at least in my reality...).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I wish some company should make a cage as substantial as a Critter Nation cage but with the small access doors (in addition to the large doors?) and drop through pans as you have devised... I prefer flight cages for my releasable squirrel because of the small doors and drop through, but they do not last long (and require modification, at least in my reality...).
    I plan on modifying the Critter Nation to have a small portal once we near time for releasing. My plan is to remove some of the bars toward the bottom of the cage in order to make a hole small enough for her to get in (but too small for predators) and finish off the dangerous edges with a safe fitting. My initial thought was to use a 90° angled pipe that would fit through the opening at the bottom of the cage, which I could cap off at night.

Loosely, something like this:

Name:  10FA4774-11A0-4264-B6AA-7E63D00E40CD.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  156.0 KB

You should put the portal up high on the cage. Also consider adding hardware cloth to armor up the release cage against raccoons. Here is what my Critter Nation release cage portal looks like. I use a 2" hole, which even an adult can squeeze through but too small for small cat or raccoon.

I plan on modifying the Critter Nation to have a small portal once we near time for releasing. My plan is to remove some of the bars toward the bottom of the cage in order to make a hole small enough for her to get in (but too small for predators) and finish off the dangerous edges with a safe fitting. My initial thought was to use a 90° angled pipe that would fit through the opening at the bottom of the cage, which I could cap off at night.

Loosely, something like this:

Name:  10FA4774-11A0-4264-B6AA-7E63D00E40CD.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  156.0 KB
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Spanky (12-27-2021), stepnstone (12-27-2021)

Oh wow that looks great! I’d read a few people say that the portal was down low. What are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks. I can't see any pros to a low position portal. Harder to reach for you, closer to the ground makes it easier for cats and other predators to discover (cats can squeeze into EXTREMELY small holes, basically the limit is the skull size of the cat).

A high positioned portal is safer since entering/exiting squirrels are farther away from the ground, and also it is more similar to what they will be doing out in the wild (entering/exiting dreys that are up very high).

Oh wow that looks great! I’d read a few people say that the portal was down low. What are the pros/cons of each?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

stepnstone (12-27-2021), Templeton (12-27-2021)

TD, you nailed it on both accounts!
    Critter Nation cages are not safe for use outside unless modified as you have done with hardware cloth.
    ~Nice job btw~

Portals should always be up high for safety and what is natural to a squirrel.
    A squirrels ability to jump is one of it's most effective maneuvers to escape a predator.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator