Thread: Squirrel loosing hair

Default Squirrel loosing hair

Good morning and happy holidays to all!

I have a squirrel that I raised and released return for 'help'. She appeared about 3 weeks ago with two circular wounds which I thought might have been caused by bots. When she came down the tree towards me at the time of her return, her feet seemed to have a hard time grabbing the bark. I obtained info from a rehabilitator at that time, suggesting the trouble with her feet might have been caused by the bot pressing against her spine. The issue with her feet now seems to have been resolved.

However, when she returned 3 weeks ago she has a small bald patch on her right shoulder. That patch grew fairly quickly and she also lost hair in the same area on her left side. We treated her with Ivermectin for mange, but the hair loss is continuing. It now has also affected the right side of her head and face. As she was scratching the affected areas furiously, I started applying Gentian Violet which brought her great relief. My concern is that the hair loss is continuing even after 2 dosages of Ivermectin. The affected areas do not look scabby, so I am wondering whether this might be something else?

Could you please advise?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Squirrel loosing hair

Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Squirrels can suffer from conditions that cause them to lose hair that does not involve mange. Is this squirrel normal sized? Does it have any other abnormal characteristics? About how old is it?

I wonder if this squirrel could have some dwarf characteristics? Dwarfs suffer from endocrine issues that cause hair loss.

I see you’re in Ft. Lauderdale. One of the best and most knowledgeable squirrel vets is located in Port Orange, Fl. She also has experience with dwarfs. The practice is Ravenwood Vet Clinic 386-788-1550. And her name is Dr. Alicia Emerson. It’s an easy drive up I95 to her office. She should be able to answer the question of what’s going on with your little one.

I don’t think I’d dose again with ivermectin if you’ve dosed twice and see no improvement.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Charley Chuckles (12-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Squirrels can suffer from conditions that cause them to lose hair that does not involve mange. Is this squirrel normal sized? Does it have any other abnormal characteristics? About how old is it?

I wonder if this squirrel could have some dwarf characteristics? Dwarfs suffer from endocrine issues that cause hair loss.

I see you’re in Ft. Lauderdale. One of the best and most knowledgeable squirrel vets is located in Port Orange, Fl. She also has experience with dwarfs. The practice is Ravenwood Vet Clinic 386-788-1550. And her name is Dr. Alicia Emerson. It’s an easy drive up I95 to her office. She should be able to answer the question of what’s going on with your little one.

I don’t think I’d dose again with ivermectin if you’ve dosed twice and see no improvement.
    Thank you for that info. I do not think she has some dwarf characteristics. I will try to get het to a vet.

Thank you for the information. I do not think she has dwarf characteristics, but I might just not be knowledgable about that. I will try to get her to a vet.

Do you have a vet? There is one in south Florida that sees squirrels. I think she might be pricey, but she’s knowledgeable.