Thread: There's a mole in my chipmunk cage...

Default There's a mole in my chipmunk cage...

Hello everyone,

It seems a mole has broken into my house somehow and found its way into my chipmunk's cage. She didn't seem to care, which is very surprising. I captured it once and let it go in the woods nearby. It found its way back and continued eating the wheat cat litter I use under my chipmunk's cage. I managed to catch the mole a second time and I now have it in a mason jar with holes in the lid, some bedding, and food. I think it may have gotten displaced when we rebuilt the backdoor to our house a couple of days ago, so it may not have a home anymore. Since the ground is now frozen solid I don't think it will be able to make a new one either. I'm just hoping there is someone willing to board it for the winter, I don't know what to do with it otherwise. I live in Rhode Island, if any of you know someone or a rehabber willing to take it, please let me know.

Side note, what do all of you use for litter and how do you use it with your animal's cage? Mine has a pan underneath the bottom grate and I use this wheat litter I got from Target, but it doesn't handle the urine smell so great.

Thank you,
    Mark

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Zomlies from:

Diggie's Friend (12-22-2021)

Default Re: There's a mole in my chipmunk cage...

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (12-21-2021)

Agree, and if it's of any value to you we also use this in the nature center where I work for all of our small mammals.

Not sure if even a rehabber would take in a mole....try Rhode Island's Fish & Wildlife website?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Agree, and if it's of any value to you we also use this in the nature center where I work for all of our small mammals.

Not sure if even a rehabber would take in a mole....try Rhode Island's Fish & Wildlife website?
    Ok, I will try that. Thank you very much. It's very small it must be a young one. It's odd my chipmunk didn't care at all lol.

If this wildlife center won't take it, maybe you could overwinter it? They are quiet, solitary beings so all you might need is a low crate filled with dirt with a hardware cloth cover? Add some water and mealworms, and he might happily spend the winter digging little tunnels. You could release him in the spring. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Zomlies View Post
    Ok, I will try that. Thank you very much. It's very small it must be a young one. It's odd my chipmunk didn't care at all lol.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

MyBushyTail (12-21-2021)

Be careful to block any access to the cage or under it as well as if there is enough of an opening;
    as moles may go for flesh, if you get my meaning.