Thread: Bald Spots. Ringworm? Mites?

Default Bald Spots. Ringworm? Mites?

Hi. My name is Vicky & my 5 yr old rescue failure is Boo. In Sept 2020, Boo became very ill & was diagnosed with congestive heart failure/pneumonia. He presently still takes Lasix BID. On a trip to the vet in Oct 2021, I noticed that he was missing a top tooth & his 2 bottoms were nubs, which explained his diminished eating. I believe he has odontoma, but he will never be a candidate for diagnosis because he cannot be sedated because of his heart. So, he was on Lasix & Baytril, & then the one bald spot showed up. I thought it might be ringworm & I used prescription strength ketaconazole on the spot. Saw no difference at all. About a month ago, I started Boo on Metacam for mouth pain & he does appear to feel A LOT better. So, now the other day I’ve noticed that he has many spots, not all as round, that have lost all the fur. If it were ringworm, I find it hard to believe that I wouldn’t have it because I hold him a lot. He cuddles on my neck. I just can’t believe that I wouldn’t have it after all of this time.
    So, any ideas? Try Revolution maybe for mites? At 1st I thought it may be mites because when he became deathly ill in Sept/Oct of this year, I found him curled up laying in an area of his cage that he rarely ever goes to. And for that reason, I don’t change the paper & wood chips that often. So, maybe mites? I get that fungus is self-limiting in healthy squirrels, but he isn’t healthy. Ideas? I’ve scoured all your threads, but no one ever comes back & says what ideas actually worked! If you’ve read my novel all the way to the end, Boo & I thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BoosMama from:

Default Re: Bald Spots. Ringworm? Mites?

You can try using just a drop of kitten Revolution (do not use revolution plus, use the one with only Selamectin).

In the picture this does not have the traditional pattern / appearance of mites though... have you had the vet look at it? Speaking of which, I am very happy to learn you have vet care for your squirrel, especially in your state. Are the tips of Boos ears "crispy" at all?

With the odontoma, if Boo has odontoma, I cannot imagine letting it go untreated. It will not be a quick or painless death. I know this is extremely unconventional, but most of the squirrel x-rays I have done, I end up actually holding the squirrel unsedated for the "pictures". Not even she if that is an option, or if Boo is cooperative enough, but I thought I would throw it out there for consideration.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Chirps (12-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    You can try using just a drop of kitten Revolution (do not use revolution plus, use the one with only Selamectin).

In the picture this does not have the traditional pattern / appearance of mites though... have you had the vet look at it? Speaking of which, I am very happy to learn you have vet care for your squirrel, especially in your state. Are the tips of Boos ears "crispy" at all?

With the odontoma, if Boo has odontoma, I cannot imagine letting it go untreated. It will not be a quick or painless death. I know this is extremely unconventional, but most of the squirrel x-rays I have done, I end up actually holding the squirrel unsedated for the "pictures". Not even she if that is an option, or if Boo is cooperative enough, but I thought I would throw it out there for consideration.
    Thank you so much for your reply. I don’t exactly have a vet I’m working with. I found an exotic DVM who was willing to see him as he was very sick, but also because I’m a licensed rehabber. Once I showed the paperwork, she agreed to see him. But, his last visit was so stressful for him that she said to never bring him back. His heart wasn’t strong enough for that kind of stress. Sooo, that’s where I am. I’m assuming she didn’t even look in his mouth at that last visit.
    I’m going to order the Revolution & try that. Also, could you help with a dosage on the ibuprofen? My Metacam is running low & I hate giving it to him too often anyway. And if he goes 2 days without something for pain, he doesn’t seem as happy. And honestly, I know he’s on borrowed time at this point. Between his heart & teeth, I know I don’t have a lot of time left.
    Anyway, I’d like to try to Infant’s Ibuprofen, but would need a dosage. And also, no, his ears aren’t crispy. They’re still very soft.
    Thanks in advance for all of your help.

I can dose the Motrin for you but need his weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BoosMama View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. I don’t exactly have a vet I’m working with. I found an exotic DVM who was willing to see him as he was very sick, but also because I’m a licensed rehabber. Once I showed the paperwork, she agreed to see him. But, his last visit was so stressful for him that she said to never bring him back. His heart wasn’t strong enough for that kind of stress. Sooo, that’s where I am. I’m assuming she didn’t even look in his mouth at that last visit.
    I’m going to order the Revolution & try that. Also, could you help with a dosage on the ibuprofen? My Metacam is running low & I hate giving it to him too often anyway. And if he goes 2 days without something for pain, he doesn’t seem as happy. And honestly, I know he’s on borrowed time at this point. Between his heart & teeth, I know I don’t have a lot of time left.
    Anyway, I’d like to try to Infant’s Ibuprofen, but would need a dosage. And also, no, his ears aren’t crispy. They’re still very soft.
    Thanks in advance for all of your help.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I can dose the Motrin for you but need his weight.
    Thank you so much. He’s 950 grams, so about 2.1 lbs. Thank you & Happy New Year!

Thanks for sharing this info 👍 very helpful