Thread: Wild - MAGGOTS/PARASITE IN EYE? Eyeball cloudy red!

Exclamation Wild - MAGGOTS/PARASITE IN EYE? Eyeball cloudy red!

Wild gray female dark morph, I think born this summer? but close to average size. The right eyeball is very red and cloudy and there is white crap in the inner corner of her eye and under the eyelid. Maybe also blackish gunk under the lid. I think it's in the nostril too and on the fur. White stuff disappears and reappears. Are these maggots or another parasite or pus?! Left eye isn't red but I thought I saw white in the inner corner. No wounds or anything else wrong that I could see. They usually only get up my bird feeder when they're kinda desperate.

Just saw this 15 minutes ago. Will try to catch ASAP but who knows how that will go. Capstar? Antibiotics)? Ivermectin or Revolution? Available med list below.

I'm thinking of putting 1/4 Capstar tablet into PB on a walnut and throw it to her when I see her again, but I only have a couple of pills (maybe 3, gotta check). Is it too disgusting for them to eat? Sunset in an hour and it's raining so I don't know if she'll be back tonight.

3 others developed some kind of infection next to the ear canal this week- the worst one today appears to have something similar in the center of open wound. Didn't get this good a look. If it could be related, please see other thread- will upload newest photo there in a few min. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...near-ear-canal

Anti-parasites: Capstar from Henry's, Ivermectin horse paste, Revolution for kittens, Adam's flea spray

Antibiotics: amoxicillin-clavulaunic acid (Augmentin, Clavamox equivalent) 500mg-125mg, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (Bactrim aka SMZ-TMP) 800mg-160mg, and enrofloxacin powder for birds (Morning Bird "Enrotex" brand version of Baytril) 2.5 grams/100 gram (2.5%) (the label says 1 level teaspoon is 5g, so it should be 0.125mg per tsp).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Wild - MAGGOTS/PARASITE IN EYE? Eyeball cloudy red!

I just looked through the pictures and the thing on the bridge of the nose isn't there in one photo and is there in the next- taken less than 30 seconds apart. Same thing with the one in nostril. I'm pretty sure these are alive! I didn't see any parasite issues on any of 3 dozen+ individual squirrels all summer. Here in NE Ohio we've had plenty of snow, highs staying below freezing, many nights in a row in the 20s.

Other meds: meloxicam (Mobic, Metacam equivalent) 15mg, prednisone 2.5mg, methylprednisolone (Medrol) 4mg, tramadol 50mg, diazepam (Valium) 5mg, children's berry liquid ibuprofen 100mg per 5ml (not infant drops- but I can get some)

Dear lord it does look like something in the eye.
    Is it the one eye, I can't imagine Both.
    What's happening in your yard😳
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Birdperson (12-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Dear lord it does look like something in the eye.
    Is it the one eye, I can't imagine Both.
    What's happening in your yard😳
    To be honest, I'm freaking out. I tried searches and didn't find any posts like this eye nightmare or similar to the one with the gruesome cheek/ear. I love my wilds to death and watching these babies born this summer has been the highlight of every day... :'(

THEY ARE IN/NEAR THE MOUTH, TOO! Left eye might have one in inner corner in this picture, didn't get a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdperson View Post
    To be honest, I'm freaking out. I tried searches and didn't find any posts like this eye nightmare or similar to the one with the gruesome cheek/ear. I love my wilds to death and watching these babies born this summer has been the highlight of every day... :'(

THEY ARE IN/NEAR THE MOUTH, TOO! Left eye might have one in inner corner in this picture, didn't get a good look.
    I'm so sorry I'm of no help 😔
    I am praying for them and you 🙏❤
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Birdperson (12-18-2021)

White, moving things sound like maggots - give the Capstar. It is so gentle that you can give more tomorrow and is usually really effective on maggots...

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Birdperson (12-18-2021), island rehabber (12-19-2021), stepnstone (12-19-2021), SugarMom (12-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    White, moving things sound like maggots - give the Capstar. It is so gentle that you can give more tomorrow and is usually really effective on maggots...
    Sadly, she didn't return tonight. I will prepare walnuts with crushed 1/4 Capstar 11.4mg mixed into PB if that will work. I'll be waiting at dawn with my manual-trigger traps set.

Is it safe enough that I should just try to dose all I see who have the facial lumps?
    Same 1/4 pill dose for fully-grown adults and the juveniles?
    Should I try to dose ALL my squirrels? Is it safe in the event one squirrel stole another's nut and got a double dose?
    Will it work if I can't get her/them the second dose the next day?
    Do you think there any chance this girl will live or her eye will survive?

I think I have 3 pills from Henry's. Going to buy a 6ct box at local Petsmart tomorrow so I have plenty to work with if I catch any for external as well.

I think I see one in the ear in these photos and less well in others. These two photos were taken one second apart. How I wish I had seen her earlier in the day.

I CAUGHT HER! She's in the garage still in the trap, covered in fleece with 1/4 pill of 11.4mg Capstar mixed in PB on a walnut and water in a jar lid. Giving her a little time to rest and hopefully eat that nut while I set up a kennel.

Would someone please dose "Clavamox" for me? (I have Augmentin 500mg-125mg) I read in old threads that the die-off can be hard on them and to use it. Not sure when I'll be able to attempt weighing her. Pretty average size- not one of my chubby wilds.

I'm especially worried about her eye. I have Vetericyn Plus Pink Eye Spray (antimicrobial safe for all animals, safe if ingested, vet strength https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040ZYDVS ). Amazon's delivering terramycin opthalmic ointment today ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXX34Z2 ) Instructions for using it? Does she need to be prevented from getting at it (cone or whatever)? Also picked up Panacur C for dogs (fenbendazole 22.2% in yellow box, 222mg/g) to be safe.

What else I should give her or do? Will try to get photos soon as I can. I think the eye seems more cloudy but it could've been the lighting.

These 2 photos of her are from 6 days ago if it helps with guessing weight.

That is a HUGE dose of Capstar. She probably weighs about 500-600g and would need 0.5mg-0.6mg of Capstar. So basically 1/10 of that pill is a good size dose. It is VERY safe generally so 1/4 will probably not cause harm but the bigger the dose, the greater the chance that she feels side and/or adverse effects.

I will send dosing for clavamox at ~550g body weight.

I CAUGHT HER! She's in the garage still in the trap, covered in fleece with 1/4 pill of 11.4mg Capstar mixed in PB on a walnut and water in a jar lid. Giving her a little time to rest and hopefully eat that nut while I set up a kennel.

Would someone please dose "Clavamox" for me? (I have Augmentin 500mg-125mg) I read in old threads that the die-off can be hard on them and to use it. Not sure when I'll be able to attempt weighing her. Pretty average size- not one of my chubby wilds.

I'm especially worried about her eye. I have Vetericyn Plus Pink Eye Spray (antimicrobial safe for all animals, safe if ingested, vet strength https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040ZYDVS ). Amazon's delivering terramycin opthalmic ointment today ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXX34Z2 ) Instructions for using it? Does she need to be prevented from getting at it (cone or whatever)? Also picked up Panacur C for dogs (fenbendazole 22.2% in yellow box, 222mg/g) to be safe.

What else I should give her or do? Will try to get photos soon as I can. I think the eye seems more cloudy but it could've been the lighting.

These 2 photos of her are from 6 days ago if it helps with guessing weight.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Birdperson (12-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    That is a HUGE dose of Capstar. She probably weighs about 500-600g and would need 0.5mg-0.6mg of Capstar. So basically 1/10 of that pill is a good size dose. It is VERY safe generally so 1/4 will probably not cause harm but the bigger the dose, the greater the chance that she feels side and/or adverse effects.

I will send dosing for clavamox at ~550g body weight.
    Oh no!!! I followed the instructions on my Henry's packet... I'm going to try to see if she's eaten it all! Also, I haven't tried the flushing yet. OK for her eyes? She doesn't have any wounds. (Instructions for flushing said 1/2 pill into 2ml water)

Got the clavamox dosing PM, thanks so much!

Do you think she needs pain medication? I'd read that parasites inside the eye are very painful. If so I have meloxicam (Mobic, Metacam equivalent) 15mg, tramadol 50mg, children's berry liquid ibuprofen 100mg per 5ml (not infant drops- but I can get some).

Don't worry too much if it is already eaten. Capstar is generally very safe and even a large dose like this is probably safe. You would have to give many, many, many, many more times that amount before you would really need to worry.

I have never heard of using Capstar as an eye flush, so I can't help with that. I would be hesitant to use anything in the eye unless it is designed for that use. If the Capstar is taken orally, it should kill the maggots.

You could give motrin or meloxicam for pain. Let me know if you need help with dosing?

Oh no!!! I followed the instructions on my Henry's packet... I'm going to try to see if she's eaten it all! Also, I haven't tried the flushing yet. OK for her eyes? She doesn't have any wounds. (Instructions for flushing said 1/2 pill into 2ml water)

Got the clavamox dosing PM, thanks so much!

Do you think she needs pain medication? I'd read that parasites inside the eye are very painful. If so I have meloxicam (Mobic, Metacam equivalent) 15mg, tramadol 50mg, children's berry liquid ibuprofen 100mg per 5ml (not infant drops- but I can get some).

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Birdperson (12-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Don't worry too much if it is already eaten. Capstar is generally very safe and even a large dose like this is probably safe. You would have to give many, many, many, many more times that amount before you would really need to worry.

I have never heard of using Capstar as an eye flush, so I can't help with that. I would be hesitant to use anything in the eye unless it is designed for that use. If the Capstar is taken orally, it should kill the maggots.

You could give motrin or meloxicam for pain. Let me know if you need help with dosing?
    Update: I couldn't find any remaining Capstar walnut so I think she ate it all. She seemed to handle it OK. Henry's says to repeat the Capstar dose on the day 2. Since she got a big first one, think I should skip day 2 altogether or give the dose you relayed (0.5-0.6mg, ~1/20th pill)?

Just sent a PM for NSAIDS dosing- thank you.

She should be fine. The folks at Henrys are experienced, caring squirrel folks so their advice is safe to follow. Capstar is generally so safe that exact dosage is not that important. I would follow up with the second dose, you can give the smaller amount/ Try for 1/10 of a pill, getting 1/20 may be too hard to get.

Will send PM.

Update: I couldn't find any remaining Capstar walnut so I think she ate it all. She seemed to handle it OK. Henry's says to repeat the Capstar dose on the day 2. Since she got a big first one, think I should skip day 2 altogether or give the dose you relayed (0.5-0.6mg, ~1/20th pill)?

Just sent a PM for NSAIDS dosing- thank you.

-Grateful Dead

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Birdperson (12-20-2021), island rehabber (12-20-2021)

I'm going to throw my two cents in here and disagree on the smidgen amount of capstar.
    1/4 tab is the protocol and what should be administered.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Birdperson (12-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I'm going to throw my two cents in here and disagree on the smidgen amount of capstar.
    Thanks TubeDriver and stepnstone! Discussion is important in medicine

If this big dose has been commonly used, given how bad her eye is I'm going to go forward with ~1/4 pill for the 2nd dose. I didn't see any negative change in her after the 1st.

I cannot see any evidence of dead larva though??? I had to set up her cage so I wasn't able to watch for a while to see if there was an exodus going on...

I am using the WBM dosing guideline which is a min dose is 1mg/kg. But as I have said, this med is generally VERY safe so in this instance, precision with dosing is not needed from a safety perspective. Probably, cutting up a tablet in quarters might be the easiest thing to do. Cutting up a tablet to get 1/10 or 1/20 is not really practical unless you have a super accurate scale and you can weigh each tiny piece.

Administering 1/4 of a 11.4mg tablet will give ~3g which is 3x the minimum dose. So Step's advice seems like a reasonable/practical amount. Capstar is fairly expensive too so it might make sense to not give a whole tablet each time.

That said, whether it is 1/20, 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 or a whole tablet, it should be safe. The LD50 for rats with Capstar is ~1600mg/kg and about ~1000mg/kg for mice. So you would probably have to give about ~220 complete CapStar tablets to have a 50/50 chance of killing an average 500g squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

-Grateful Dead

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Birdperson (12-20-2021)