Thread: Silly Question from a Paranoid Mom

Default Silly Question from a Paranoid Mom

Hi! I have a 12 week baby in a ferret mansion. The bars are narrow enough that he cannot escape but I noticed a mouse in the room with him tonight. Obviously it avoids me and hides when I'm in the room but I'm worried the mouse could hurt baby squirrel! Is this something I should be concerned about? Surely the mouse could get in the cage if it wanted to but I'm pretty sure it's just in the room eating crumbs of rodent block off of the floor.
    I'm going to set up a trap to catch the mouse but while I wait for the trap to work should I move the cage to another location 🤔

Default Re: Silly Question from a Paranoid Mom

I wouldn't worry. At 12 weeks the squirrel way outclasses the mouse. The only remote possibility of an issue I can think of is if the mouse can give anything to the squirrel like parasites or a disease, but that seems unlikely. Others who know what's possible may comment. If it's just eating "leftovers" on the floor it probably won't venture into the cage. It is probably afraid of the squirrel.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

SquElliot (12-17-2021)

Default Re: Silly Question from a Paranoid Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I wouldn't worry. At 12 weeks the squirrel way outclasses the mouse. The only remote possibility of an issue I can think of is if the mouse can give anything to the squirrel like parasites or a disease, but that seems unlikely. Others who know what's possible may comment. If it's just eating "leftovers" on the floor it probably won't venture into the cage. It is probably afraid of the squirrel.
    I was thinking the mouse was probably afraid of him, I just didn't want him to be afraid of the mouse! Lol I looked it up and couldn't find anything about them fighting over resources. Also squirrel is already at least half as big as the mouse if not bigger. I have a trap set up in there and as often as it comes in to forage I'm sure I'll catch it soon. Thanks for the reply!!