Thread: Fall

Default Fall

Hello- At 7 am this morning, my (7 year) old fox squirrel "Moby" was climbing down from his nest box, he ended up dragging the small carpet that is under the next box and he fell then the box fell on him. He is not acting right, he ate, popped and ran around a bit then went into his box an hour later which is not like him, he usually is very active until around noon time. As many of you know I do NOT have a trusted vet since OK is not legal for having him so I cant take the risk of getting him confiscated.

What should I check to make sure there is nothing broken or internal going on!!?? There is no external bleeding.

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I am freaking out
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Fall

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    Hello- At 7 am this morning, my (7 year) old fox squirrel "Moby" was climbing down from his nest box, he ended up dragging the small carpet that is under the next box and he fell then the box fell on him. He is not acting right, he ate, popped and ran around a bit then went into his box an hour later which is not like him, he usually is very active until around noon time. As many of you know I do NOT have a trusted vet since OK is not legal for having him so I cant take the risk of getting him confiscated.

What should I check to make sure there is nothing broken or internal going on!!?? There is no external bleeding.

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I am freaking out
    I would watch his movements to make sure all is working and he's moving around normally, watch for any area swelling.
    If he appears to be in pain you can administer some liquid infant Ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation.
    We would need a weight on him for dosing.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Is his nest box the cardboard box in your pic or are you talking about a wooden box? If it is the cardboard box, he may just be REALLY freaked out and shaken up by what happened...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Is his nest box the cardboard box in your pic or are you talking about a wooden box? If it is the cardboard box, he may just be REALLY freaked out and shaken up by what happened...
    I wish, no it was the wood box Sadly. I yell and yell at him each morning to stop doing this and today was the day he woke up super active and he dragged it down with him he landed on his side which already looked painful but then the box fell on him...

Sorry about the injury of your squirrel. If you happen to be located in SoCal, please contact me for a professional support source.

A friendly word of advice. Besides our protesting that they do what is safe, squirrels have a mind as you say here; when they want to move something they will try to do so. The only way to safe nesting situation is to secure the nesting box and habitat that is fixed so it can't be dislodged by a squirrel. Switching to a cage with an open door and attaching a wood nesting box to the inside of it as well as a shelf for your squirrel to rest upon would be preferable in a room with nothing else in the living space minus that of the closet; will keep your squirrel safe from the hazards in the home.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Birdperson (12-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Sorry about the injury of your squirrel. If you happen to be located in SoCal, please contact me for a professional support source.

A friendly word of advice. Besides our protesting that they do what is safe, squirrels have a mind as you say here; when they want to move something they will try to do so. The only way to safe nesting situation is to secure the nesting box and habitat that is fixed so it can't be dislodged by a squirrel. Switching to a cage with an open door and attaching a wood nesting box to the inside of it as well as a shelf for your squirrel to rest upon would be preferable in a room with nothing else in the living space minus that of the closet; will keep your squirrel safe from the hazards in the home.
    Hi Diggie. I am sadly not in that area! He came out and I gave him a hazelnut from Henry's and some snap peas, he ate and went to the window for a few minutes, came and took a nice pee on my chair then back to bed he went!!

That is a tough place to be for sure. Glad to hear he is eating. We cared for foxers many years ago; our oldest girl lived to reach over 11 years. Luv dem foxers!!

This source may help if he has a head injury; best given soon after a head injury.

https://www.amazon.com/VeganSafe-B-1...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This source in particular is the bioidentical form of B12 that the body of mammals recognizes and is able to utilize best. It is a extracted from an organic source with no sugars or sweeteners added, tastes tart sweet, which squirrels like.
    (see my thread on Vital Nutrients for more info on bioidentical vitamin forms)

Recommend the (2500 mcg.) bottle be used to support a reduced dose for a squirrel, since the amount noted on the label of the other version this company also offers is too high to reduce for the targeted dose for an adult squirrel.

Using this source only:
    1 needle drop from a (1 cc) (1 ml) needle syringe onto food daily for the first few of days.
    If then he improves, then reduce the amount to 1 needle drop every other day for two weeks.
    (try adding it to 1/4 Tsp. of organic naturally sweetend applesause)
    Should you have any questions on the dosage please send me a PM.

Take care friend. DF

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    That is a tough place to be for sure. Glad to hear he is eating. We cared for foxers many years ago; our oldest girl lived to reach over 11 years. Luv dem foxers!!

This source may help if he has a head injury; best given soon after a head injury.

https://www.amazon.com/VeganSafe-B-1...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This source in particular is the bioidentical form of B12 that the body of mammals recognizes and is able to utilize best. It is a extracted from an organic source with no sugars or sweeteners added, tastes tart sweet, which squirrels like.
    (see my thread on Vital Nutrients for more info on bioidentical vitamin forms)

Recommend the (2500 mcg.) bottle be used to support a reduced dose for a squirrel, since the amount noted on the label of the other version this company also offers is too high to reduce for the targeted dose for an adult squirrel.

Using this source only:
    1 needle drop from a (1 cc) (1 ml) needle syringe onto food daily for the first few of days.
    If then he improves, then reduce the amount to 1 needle drop every other day for two weeks.
    (try adding it to 1/4 Tsp. of organic naturally sweetend applesause)
    Should you have any questions on the dosage please send me a PM.

Take care friend. DF

AHA this is new to me. So let me ask you this; even if he is ok should I give this to him?

He came out for about an hour, I ran my hand on his spine to see if anything is damaged and we played for a bit, he runs, climbs and eats and drinks.. so I am hoping he is A-OK and there is no delayed reaction to injury!!

Very glad he appears to be ok now.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamiS (12-16-2021)

For brusing from falls, recommend homeopathic Arnica montana
    Dissolve tablet in pure water; and place one drop on food three times a day.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyland-s-...ctedSellerId=0

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamiS (12-16-2021)