Thread: Is she going through hibernation?

Default Is she going through hibernation?

I have a 6 month old round tailed ground squirrel who I believe is going through hibernation but want a second opinion. She has started sleeping through the day and waking up at night only a few hours to eat, drink, get pet and run around a little usually for 2 hours. I read that her type of squirrel breed goes through a torpor period I believe it’s called. This started about two weeks ago. She doesn’t seem sick or like she has MBD . I have her on a diet of exotic nutrition squirrel blend and also fresh fruit, veggies, greens. She also has calcium and vitamin supplements.

Default Re: Is she going through hibernation?

I am not familiar with ground squirrels. I hope someone else that is will chime in.

I see you say you’re feeding Exotic Nutrition food. Since I don’t know the nutritional needs of a ground squirrel I can’t comment on whether this is a good choice or not. Most rehabbers on here have found Exotic Nutrition to be subpar nutritionally for gray and Fox squirrels.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

SASHA- (12-14-2021), stepnstone (12-14-2021)

I got it wrong she is actually about ten months old not 6. The exotic nutrition squirrel blend is not her only base diet but also the oxbow rodent blocks.

The info on these guys is all over the place. They aren't often kept as pets so there isn't too much info. I have found info saying they "torpor" during the hot months and some of them hibernate in the winter, other sources say no hibernate and their winter "sleep" is a torpor...

Hibernating rodents can be a real issue - many don't make it ut the other side, so I know a lot of people rouse them frequently to eat and drink at least. Certainly all behavior regarding hibernation and torpor has a lot more to do with day length than temperature. Increasing their day length using a dew reptile UV bubs in addition to regular light helps.

Do you offer veggies? I visit my mom in Tucson and the little round tails are all over. They spend a LOT of time eating little grasses and I do know that they LOVE the young mesquite shoots. I have watched them climbing around the mesquite just trimming it down to nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The info on these guys is all over the place. They aren't often kept as pets so there isn't too much info. I have found info saying they "torpor" during the hot months and some of them hibernate in the winter, other sources say no hibernate and their winter "sleep" is a torpor...

Hibernating rodents can be a real issue - many don't make it ut the other side, so I know a lot of people rouse them frequently to eat and drink at least. Certainly all behavior regarding hibernation and torpor has a lot more to do with day length than temperature. Increasing their day length using a dew reptile UV bubs in addition to regular light helps.

Do you offer veggies? I visit my mom in Tucson and the little round tails are all over. They spend a LOT of time eating little grasses and I do know that they LOVE the young mesquite shoots. I have watched them climbing around the mesquite just trimming it down to nothing!

I feed her lots of different veggies including dandelion and their flowers which seems to be her favorite and different edible greens native to the area. She likes peas, broccoli, carrot, sweet potato among other thing. I don’t live by the desert she was brought to me from about two hours away after she was found with a dead mom. She seems to be eating and drinking well and wakes at least once a day but only at night currently