Thread: Any Rehabbers in Southcoast Mass

Default Any Rehabbers in Southcoast Mass

I have 3 Squirrels that I have been taking care of for 7 years. I was wondering if there where any rehabbers in the New Bedford Area that would be able to take and care for them. I know they can not be released as they are very friendly but maybe someone in the area has a better setup that they can live in then what I have.

Default Re: Any Rehabbers in Southcoast Mass

Massachusetts is a very strict state. Please be careful who you turn them over to. Most rehab facilities will euthanize squirrels that are non releasable.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Birdperson (12-13-2021), JLM27 (12-12-2021)

Default Re: Any Rehabbers in Southcoast Mass

Quote Originally Posted by Mbreault88 View Post
    I have 3 Squirrels that I have been taking care of for 7 years. I was wondering if there where any rehabbers in the New Bedford Area that would be able to take and care for them. I know they can not be released as they are very friendly but maybe someone in the area has a better setup that they can live in then what I have.
    It sounds like you're more looking to "re-home" your squirrels- to put them up for adoption. Licensed rehabilitators are extremely restricted in how many animals they can permanently keep, thus they are legally required to euthanize nearly all non-releasable animals- especially adults. As Mel1959 said, MA is a strict state: not only will they almost undoubtedly kill them if you give them to a rehabber- if you simply CALL a rehabber and allude to having squirrels, the state is likely to persue finding you and seizing them in order to kill them. And probably also ticket/fine you on top of that cruelty.

Maybe this forum can help if there is a specific thing you're struggling with? But if you do need to find them a new home, people DO "adopt" on here! Especially very friendly ones

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Birdperson:

Chirps (12-16-2021), island rehabber (12-16-2021), Mel1959 (12-16-2021)