Thread: My cat brought in a flying squirrel and its losing weight.

Default My cat brought in a flying squirrel and its losing weight.

3 days ago my cat brought in a southern flying squirrel. It was lifeless but alive. I examined it well and didn't find any breaks in the skin. I determined it to be cold and scared. I applied some topical antibiotic to the areas the cat saliva was just in case there was a break in the skin I didn't find. I didn't administer any orally since I did not know how sensitive these guys were to antibiotics and being almost 100% sure no skin was broken. I then put it in a secure container with blankets to warm it and planned on releasing it back into my yard in the morning if it was still alive. during the night I determined it probably was a bay and would do well if just released in the morning. The next morning it was alive and alert. I weighed it and it was 36.6 grams. Research told me this was a 6 week old and too young to be on its own. That morning I gave it some apple which it eagerly ate. By that night, 24 hours into having it I had goats milk and it also eagerly ate about 10cc of that within 24 hours. It also ate more apple during that 24 hours, this being the 24 hours after I weighed it in at 36.6 and the second day of having it. I weighed her last night the third night expecting it had gained weight and it had lost almost 3 grams. This is 10% of its body weight in 36 hours. I was shocked because its been eating well and very alert. It was bed time and I had not planned on feeding it over night since it ate so much throughout the day but changed my mind when I saw the weight loss. I fed her through the night. 1cc of goats milk at a time with it drinking a total of 6ccs in 8 hours. I also provided apple, grapes and coconut in it's enclosure and almost all of that was eaten throughout the night. this morning it weighed 36.1 only a half gram short of the weight 48 hours ago. I have two concerns. What are the risk of diarrhea with this much food? is this much weight loss detrimental or could be considered normal with the trauma it endured? I would like opinions if I should keep up the around the clock feeding until there is steady daily weight gain or if that is going to cause diarrhea and even more of a set back? How much weight gain should I be aiming for daily? I appreciate any help. I have no knowledge of squirrels before my cat brought this one in.
    Also, the squirrel has been mostly in a bonding pouch on my chest to keep it warm. I would like opinions on if this is the best or would it do better alone in an enclosure. It doesn't seemed stressed being carried around with me but definitely doesn't care for me to pick it up.
    Any input at all would be very appreciated. I know little creatures can go down fast without the right treatment.

Default Re: My cat brought in a flying squirrel and its losing weight.

If this guy is that young he needs the proper formula. I have some and will gladly share it. I’m going to send you my number in a private message. Private messages are accessed from the top of the screen under notifications. I am not far from you in Indian Harbour Beach and have rehabbed many critters, including a flyer. I’m happy to provide you with formula, antibiotics and information.

Edit: just tried to send you a private message but you aren’t set up to receive messages yet.

If you want to turn it over to a rehabber there’s an excellent one not far from you in Christmas, FL. Her place is called Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Central Florida and her names Carol. 407-568-3200.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Grinderhead (12-05-2021)

Mel1959
    It looks like my profile is too new to set up to allow private message. Is this formula something I can buy locally? If not, I will love to take you up on your offer. I am able to come to you in IHB. I can be reached by email at xxxx@xxxx.xxx
    Last edited by Spanky; 12-05-2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Edited out e-mail adress from public post

This is a picture of it's size. I thought it was an adult but it's weight says otherwise. Am I correct in estimating 6 weeks at 36 grams?

Quote Originally Posted by AmberRae View Post
    Any input at all would be very appreciated. I know little creatures can go down fast without the right treatment.

It is important that he get antibiotics ASAP. Cat's saliva is lethal to squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If this guy is that young he needs the proper formula. I have some and will gladly share it. I’m going to send you my number in a private message. Private messages are accessed from the top of the screen under notifications. I am not far from you in Indian Harbour Beach and have rehabbed many critters, including a flyer. I’m happy to provide you with formula, antibiotics and information.

Edit: just tried to send you a private message but you aren’t set up to receive messages yet.

If you want to turn it over to a rehabber there’s an excellent one not far from you in Christmas, FL. Her place is called Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Central Florida and her names Carol. 407-568-3200.

I have approved AmberRae so she should be able to receive PM's now. I also forwarded her e-mail to Mel...

Quote Originally Posted by AmberRae View Post
    This is a picture of it's size. I thought it was an adult but it's weight says otherwise. Am I correct in estimating 6 weeks at 36 grams?
    The picture is too small and unclear to tell much. Adolescent flyers will have "greasy" looking fur if that helps.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mel1959 (12-05-2021)

I’ve sent my phone number to you in a private message and email. I can meet you this afternoon.

I have 22.7mg Baytril, could someone please send me proper dosing based on a 36.1 gram weight?

Amber just left. She’s armed with Fox Valley 20/50, Baytril, miracle nipple, dosing syringe, some Henry’s hazelnut blocks and some Ultraboost. She already had 1cc syringes. I gave her dosing instructions, as well.

The baby looks great. I have no doubt in Amber’s ability to meet this squirrels needs…whatever they might be. She knows that it can’t be released by itself and how to attempt to reunite with mom. I’m not sure after 72 hours if that’s a possibility or not, but I think she will try.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

AmberRae (12-05-2021), Grinderhead (12-05-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (12-05-2021)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Mel1959!!

The little squirrel just had her first feeding of Fox Valley 20/50 and going to get her a dose of antibiotics now. Thanks to your help and generosity this baby should do just fine.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to AmberRae:

CritterMom (12-05-2021), Mel1959 (12-05-2021)

It was a pleasure meeting you. I am always happy to help a fellow animal (squirrel) lover. I know your heart is in the right place and will do the very best for this baby.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (12-15-2021)

I heard from Amber and the baby is doing well and gained 2gr today. She loves her Fox Valley and is nibbling on the blocks.

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (12-15-2021), Grinderhead (12-06-2021), Spanky (12-06-2021), TubeDriver (12-06-2021)