Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

Default Re: How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

If you need me to send more meds, I’m happy to do that. I know it took a while for you to receive them so it would be better to get them in the mail before you run out and need them.

I’ll have to check and see that I still have your address…

I am so sorry you're having so much trouble getting what you need to save these squirrels. The "lady from Guelph" that you mention is one kick-ass rehabber, but even she is not really rehabbing anymore due to difficulties in Canada. Any of the immune-booster ingredients that she mentions will help your guys -- I used some in treating my pox squirrels as well but some were impossible to find here in the US! I am sending you all the good energies possible for curing your little friends!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

If you can lay your hands on some ivermectin, I ALWAYS use it in conjunction with the antivirals when I treat for pox. The deterioration of the immune system from being ill with the virus leaves them WIDE open to mange. I know that folks here don't like it but it truly will work. You just don't want to give a massive overdose. If Canada is anything like the US, people have likely purchased all of it from the farm stores though. Another option is to visit any stables in your area. You could stuff all of the ivermectin you need to treat a squirrel under a fingernail - giving you that much from a tube for one of their horses is going to make ZERO impact on their ability to worm them. If I still had my horse and someone asked my for that amount of ivermectin I would turn it over in a second.

It isn't quite the same as some of the other immune boosters, but surely you can find some echinacea. It doesn't need to be any particular brand.

I would treat with Ivermectin on top of any meds for the Pox. The easiest way to use Ivermectin is to get the horse paste type in a tube. It is 1.87% strength and comes flavored. Knead the tube to mix up the contents and give a white rice sized amount of the ivermectin orally on a nut treat. Repeat in 7 days.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I would treat with Ivermectin on top of any meds for the Pox. The easiest way to use Ivermectin is to get the horse paste type in a tube. It is 1.87% strength and comes flavored. Knead the tube to mix up the contents and give a white rice sized amount of the ivermectin orally on a nut treat. Repeat in 7 days.
    I have never seen Ivermectin in a kneadable tube. I only see it in a solid plastic syringe with the dosage markings on the plunger.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Thank you so much for the offer Mel and i will let you know if need more! Right now i should have 40 days left for 2 squirrels.

The other guy is looking really good and getting better every day but he only had around eyes and started him on immune booster balls Dec 7 and once i received the meds started right away, even though he was improving without I didn't want to take a chance. When do i stop the meds? Once all lesions/bare skin gone?

The bad one i double dosed, as recommended i think by crittermom when she gave recipe and saw how bad he was (before last photos). He unfortunately, didn't come out 2 days because was snowing and so cold but i had got the double doses in before that. Weather great past couple days and he comes running to me and after he's done again comes, so appetite is up and eating faster. Tried to just catch him with my jacket this morning as I forgot blanket since he's normally only out in afternoon surprised me 2 days in a row being out early. But I'm still going to continue to try getting it because we're going into negative temperatures Sunday. I believe he has 3 roomates rather than 2 but keeping my eye out.
    Quite a few are missing fur so must be a fungal infection going on as no scabbing and beautiful skin underneath. 1 lil guy i posted above no tail and thinned out is very small, not a roommate, but seems to be losing more. Others have patches usually on backs. I wish they were easy to diagnose and easier to trap.
    Thank you i do know the invermectin dosing as have read on squirrel board before but can't get hands on. I am waiting for my brother's girlfriends dad who owns horses to get some in. Has been hard to get here because of covid... Also guess some idiots thought they could take and help them with covid so they don't randomly sell on shelves LOL sold out on squirrelsandmore.com, amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada and sold out on .ca. I'm waiting on a place about 40minutes away to return call if they carry it.
    The struggles are real!
    Oh wow, i messaged the Guelph lady and guess that's why didn't get a response. I actually called the centre she's from but no return call. I wanted someone to try and trap and she's not too far.
    I have a great place but i just hope their choice isn't to euthanize, especially seeing how bad the Guelph ladies baby squirrel was who ended up surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I am so sorry you're having so much trouble getting what you need to save these squirrels. The "lady from Guelph" that you mention is one kick-ass rehabber, but even she is not really rehabbing anymore due to difficulties in Canada. Any of the immune-booster ingredients that she mentions will help your guys -- I used some in treating my pox squirrels as well but some were impossible to find here in the US! I am sending you all the good energies possible for curing your little friends!
    Very tough here because of the sources and they aren't government funded, solely rely on donations. Is the states funded or same thing? At least easier to get a vet or medication online. Here is. Real struggle. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If you need me to send more meds, I’m happy to do that. I know it took a while for you to receive them so it would be better to get them in the mail before you run out and need them.

Thank you so much! Sorry I replied to everyone in the thread but wanted to personally thank you. I should be good but will message you if i feel i need more woth few weeks (mailing time) to spare.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Amb from:

Mel1959 (12-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

Fyi Mel says you've exceeded your storage and need to delete so i couldn't reply to PM.

Yea, I just checked and my versions are solid tube. I squirt some out and then pull it back into the tube, try to mix it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I have never seen Ivermectin in a kneadable tube. I only see it in a solid plastic syringe with the dosage markings on the plunger.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Is there anyone closer to Canada that can express ship Revolution or a bit of Ivermectin? I ordered some but states jan 18-22 arrival, which most likely will be too late. Called around to all the horse stores yesterday and they're out of stock. I can only get Revolution perscribed here. Even esbilac formula is out of stock but found for double the price on amazon. Had a break down after they said in stock online and drove in traffic to only be told it's out of stock and the other store stating only few left was out as well. Order online for same day delivery and they're all out of stock around me. I donated almost a full thing in August too and only kept 1/2 cup that i already used. I thought it was a sign saying save your money and let nature take its coarse for once. :'(
    Someone said they only have 99lb dog Revolution chewables. He's a retired vet pharmacist and said could break down and dilute with nuts? Any thoughts since i can't get my hands on anything.

Hi. Did you check your private messages?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Red face Re: How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

Just wanted to thank you all for taking your time to reply! Special fhanks to Mel, Spanky and Chirps!! i have some more Valacylovir coming so I don't run out. Also Revolution and Ivermectin on the way!!! And esbilac which was in the original immune booster recipe! Today has been an amazing day and it's only noon! Things are looking up and the really bad one made it better by running up to me in excitement this morning. weather has been great past few days and just hope Poxy still has the energy come negative 5, which sounds much better in Fahrenheit to me of 23 lol
    Thank you all SOSO much you are truly amazing kind hearted souls it's happy tears today!

Just asking since i can grab this from someone right now... This is way too strong but is there a way to split up to give? Crumble up to 100 pieces and give 1? Lol i just wanna get something in him asap but will wait for mail if still hurt him.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That contains two medications, ivermectin and pyrantel. So you can't separate the doses. The problem is that while I can dose this correctly for the ivermectin, the level of pyrantel in that dose will be MUCH, MUCH too high. So I would not use this medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Amb View Post
    Just asking since i can grab this from someone right now... This is way too strong but is there a way to split up to give? Crumble up to 100 pieces and give 1? Lol i just wanna get something in him asap but will wait for mail if still hurt him.

-Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    That contains two medications, ivermectin and pyrantel. So you can't separate the doses. The problem is that while I can dose this correctly for the ivermectin, the level of pyrantel in that dose will be MUCH, MUCH too high. So I would not use this medication.
    I thought so. Thank you so much for letting me know!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123