Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

Default How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

Hi everyone,

I've rehabbed few squirrels only because all rehabbers near me in Toronto Canada were too busy, although a 4 hours drive wouldn't have been as much work as raising babies for 7 months lol. Anyways I've fallen in love with them and now feed them occasionally on walks. I noticed few months ago 3 squirrels with tails: 1 with no fur and 2 with very little fur. Couple days ago, I hadn't been out in couple weeks due to weather, noticed the one with no fur now has no fur around eyes and right eye is swollen. I don't notice him itching and not bleeding or scabby, still runs for food and seems good personality wise.
    I spoke to a rehabber that's about hour and half away and mentioned instead of mange could be squirrelpox and either way we must catch them quickly to treat and most likely over-winterize to treat and not effect others. Problem is it's wild in a forest and there's about 30 others that are always nearby. They're all very spoiled along trail and not afraid of humans. Pretty impossible in my head, even for an expert to get the right one(s) and it's not like it's starving. I read on here to treat mange with Invermectin 1.87% regular rice sized grain size, however, I can't seem to find except in the states and Revolution is prescription only. I've posted to see if any neighbours have from vet or anyone can give so i can treat. I have help so I've person can feed other squirrels and i can give to just this 1 or all 3.
    What would you experts recommend and does it look/sound like mange or squirrelpox?

You are all absolutely amazing for what you do. ❤️

Thanks so much,
    Amber
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Default Re: How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

I've not dealt with Pox personally, I have many times with mange.
    Unfortunately this does look like pox...
    Pox can be treatable if the right med can be obtained.
    Below is our forum with info on pox, different meds and results.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...5-Squirrel-Pox
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Unfortunately, i did find all the names of meds but i can't seem to find any online even natural stuff. If it because a lot of threads are outdated
    Google should find anything and in an avid online shopper. Bring in Canada and no access with rehabbers far away and not able to send. I feel hopeless and for this little guy kicks it's but like has been for months. 2 others hopefully don't get as bad.
    Can anyone send and help me with dosage for under 2lb guy. I'll stop giving nuts that's for sure but others won't know and feel bad for it. Help!!
    Also i know it looks like it in photos but no bumps, just swollen eye but let's see if gets worse.

I can send you acyclovir if you send me your address in a private message. It may take some time to get to you since I’m in Florida, but it’s at least something.

One of our admins, Island Rehabber, has treated pox. I didn’t go to the link that Step posted so I don’t know if it offers dosing help or what other immune support it lists. I do know that offering immune support is beneficial. You could reach out to Island Rehabber for information on dosing. The medication I will send is 1000 mg tablets.

With all due respect to stepnstone and Mel, both of whom I adore, I don't think this is pox. Mange starts on the ears and around the eyes and face, and that's what it looks like to me. pox would have the squirrel with bumps on fingers and toes and bumps around the ears and shoulders --warty things , very visible ...again I don't believe this is pox and thank goodness it isn't,because mange can be treated with the horse wormer Ivreremectin. Pox is a much different story.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    With all due respect to stepnstone and Mel, both of whom I adore, I don't think this is pox. Mange starts on the ears and around the eyes and face, and that's what it looks like to me. pox would have the squirrel with bumps on fingers and toes and bumps around the ears and shoulders --warty things , very visible ...again I don't believe this is pox and thank goodness it isn't,because mange can be treated with the horse wormer Ivreremectin. Pox is a much different story.
    I am gonna have to argue with you here. You may need to enlarge the pics to see it better but you can clearly see the warty lesions around the eye. I say pox. Most of the adult squirrels I have treated in the wild have heavy lesions around the eyes and base of the ears, exactly like this poor little one. Since it is a mosquito vectored illness, and mosquitos hang out in areas of heavy vegetation, which squirrels push their way through with their faces, I think it is often the point of the initial infection.

I have treated bunches of wild squirrels though happily not in the past couple years, and I always treat for both pox AND mange. The immune system is taking a massive hit from the pox and that is a PERFECT situation for mange to also pop up.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (12-06-2021)

I have no idea. My Google search told me mange but then rehabber over the phone said possibly pox. It did start with just the tail, no hair, was like that for months and now the eyes with no fur and right eye was swollen. There are no lesions that I can see. The skin actually looked real clear. After taking the photo i was like these look worse than in person but this day i took it did look bit worse. K figured maybe from itching. No blood though and I'm just glad he's still being squirrel and hope with help he'll get better.
    The other 2 I'll try treating as well I can't even find GNC enchinacea. Is this discontinued perhaps? Any other recommendations that you can find online?
    I have no problem trying to treat for both.
    The other 2 with barely any fur on tail should i treat for mange?

Here's a pic of him October 24. Just his tail.
    I'll try getting pic of other 2, they have fur but just a fluff and other seems to be growing back. - which is why i thought mange.

Thanks again so much!

Please tell me i shouldn't be worried about this lil guy too? I was positive this is hereditary...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I am gonna have to argue with you here. You may need to enlarge the pics to see it better but you can clearly see the warty lesions around the eye. I say pox. Most of the adult squirrels I have treated in the wild have heavy lesions around the eyes and base of the ears, exactly like this poor little one. Since it is a mosquito vectored illness, and mosquitos hang out in areas of heavy vegetation, which squirrels push their way through with their faces, I think it is often the point of the initial infection.

I have treated bunches of wild squirrels though happily not in the past couple years, and I always treat for both pox AND mange. The immune system is taking a massive hit from the pox and that is a PERFECT situation for mange to also pop up.

So it looks worse today and more bubble-y now. Before was flat skin, just no hair, and then right eye started to swell and now left and near ears now. I feel helpless until i get the meds and find an immune booster. Is there any other brand that can work because walmart or the health planet store, strictly for that stuff, do not carry. I can't find online either, which is insane and driving me absolutely nuts.
    We've already had snow here and in the negative temperatures so worried he may get frost bite since he's always out.
    Should i be trying to capture him with a net since he does come close but scares easily, of course. Will stress be more harm than good?
    Last 2 pics are of the others and it's just their tail. This is how the bad one started off months ago though.

Sorry last one didn't attach

New photos and definitely getting worse amd lesions now. Crazy how fast since his tail has been like that for I'd say 4-5months.

I believe you were offered some acyclovir. If you can get your hands on that I can tell you how to mix it into what I call nut balls that you can use to treat him in the wild without having to trap him - as long as he shows every day for a "treat." You can't just leave them out because other squirrels will get them. I will tell you that it is a LONG treatment protocol - usually more than a month.

I usually either add some echinacea to the nut balls, or if I am treating multiple squirrels I add it to their water source as an immune booster.

His weird tail is actually unrelated and not dangerous. It is a fungus of the hair shaft that causes this. If you get close you will see that the skin of the tail is perfectly healthy. It usually disappears when they molt and grow new hair.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (12-06-2021)

I believe you were offered some acyclovir. If you can get your hands on that I can tell you how to mix it into what I call nut balls that you can use to treat him in the wild without having to trap him - as long as he shows every day for a "treat." You can't just leave them out because other squirrels will get them. I will tell you that it is a LONG treatment protocol - usually more than a month.

I usually either add some echinacea to the nut balls, or if I am treating multiple squirrels I add it to their water source as an immune booster.

His weird tail is actually unrelated and not dangerous. It is a fungus of the hair shaft that causes this. If you get close you will see that the skin of the tail is perfectly healthy. It usually disappears when they molt and grow new hair.

Yes, i PM'd her this morning! Hopefully she gets and can get quickly. *Fingers crossed*
    I'm here for the long run. I live right off the ravine and can go every day except dec 22 as I'll be in london for nephew's bday but my friend can do, whom I actually met to warn her about my squirrels i was releasing cuz she feeds some by hand lol
    Anything i can do to make this babe better i will! I will definitely need dosage. I would say weight around 600 , maybe bit more as plumping for winter. I truly hope it'll eat because some of these wilds just want nuts since so spoiled. I've tried feeding natural peanut butter balls with kaytee thar i had left from my rehabs also fruit, no go for most lol
    Seems as though the states has a lot more resources and rehabbers and willing to do anything to help. Less here the busier they are. I'm trying hard phoning around and no dice except one that couldn't come here of course as too far.
    Truly appreciate everyone's help. I couldn't imagine ift ths happened to my babies. I guess if I rehab annd get a sanctuary one day i will have to learn to let go easier when need be. Strong women you all are ❤️ sorry for the blab. I hate seeing helpless animals suffer.
    Any immune boosters you can recommend since I can't find the GNC brand Enchinacea. Also what to dose for that?

I have three 1000mg tablets set to mail out on Monday morning. Is this enough medication or should I add more? I’m sorry I didn’t see the pm soon enough to get it in the mail today.

There used to be a immune booster that was available online. I think it was called Liquid Immune Barrier put out by California Academy of Health. I’m not sure if it’s still available or not.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (12-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have three 1000mg tablets set to mail out on Monday morning. Is this enough medication or should I add more? I’m sorry I didn’t see the pm soon enough to get it in the mail today.

There used to be a immune booster that was available online. I think it was called Liquid Immune Barrier put out by California Academy of Health. I’m not sure if it’s still available or not.
    Sent you a PM. BTW, they have discontinues Liquid Immune Barrier, unfortunately. I know that IR used Nutriferon which is available at Amazon - it is a Shaklee product.

Is gnc the only one that tends to work? Unfortunately, there is non in Canada. Oh Canada 🤦🏼 will a Weber's brand or any other do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

It's okay i know how busy you must be! These little guys are always a handful!
    Perfect! I'm not sure the dosing so not sure how much for a month long process... Someone will have to send me that info and how to make the balls so this wild guy will take. I have someone to distract the others while i make sure he's the one go get it! She also does reiki on animals interesting.
    I ordered the nutriferon but shows arrival after Christmas. The struggles are real in Canada EH lol
    Thamk you thank you thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Amb View Post
    New photos and definitely getting worse amd lesions now. Crazy how fast since his tail has been like that for I'd say 4-5months.
    I apologize, then -- going only by these pix i did not see lesions.
    Order some Nutriferon via Amazon -- pricey but effective in boosting the immune system ...mix 1 tablet in 40cc water and give 0.1ml 2x day.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

TubeDriver (12-04-2021)

Sent you a PM. BTW, they have discontinues Liquid Immune Barrier, unfortunately. I know that IR used Nutriferon which is available at Amazon - it is a Shaklee product.
    Didn't get your pm for recipe but i sent you a message to make it easy to reply ��
    Unfortunately, i don't receive that $100 immune booster until after Christmas or says. Coming from US lol but will need how many to add with the Acyclovir and how to make the but balls since a wild.

I apologize, then -- going only by these pix i did not see lesions.
    Order some Nutriferon via Amazon -- pricey but effective in boosting the immune system ...mix 1 tablet in 40cc water and give 0.1ml 2x day.
    No worries there were no lesions except the one swollen eye yesterday and now a bunch. It was completely flat skin before so others are phychic lol
    I'm just waiting on recipe for nut balls since it's a wild squirrel and lives right by a creek so there's no way it'll drink my water, unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast