Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

Default Re: How to treat wild squirrels for Mange or perhaps squirrelpox?

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I apologize, then -- going only by these pix i did not see lesions.
    Order some Nutriferon via Amazon -- pricey but effective in boosting the immune system ...mix 1 tablet in 40cc water and give 0.1ml 2x day.
    Am i reading this right....i would only need to use 1 tablet? 1 will be good for 200 days? total .2ml/day, 5 days with 1cc making 40cc total with only 1 tablet? Or do you throw out that remainder made? I feel dumb right now lol and 3 tablets 1000mgs of Acyclovir will be enough for month or so treatment?

Crittermom asked if I could send 5, which I easily can. She knows how to break it down and dose and will get that info too you. I hope these arrive quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Crittermom asked if I could send 5, which I easily can. She knows how to break it down and dose and will get that info too you. I hope these arrive quickly.
    Aw thank you so much!
    Can't wait to start treating this lil one! I am about to go check on him now 🙃 i got called snow white yesterday by an older guy lol said surrounded by all the animals in a forrest 😆

I also just found a recipe for immune balls from a lady that posted last year in Guelph ON. Rrally great recoveries for small and wild squirrels and because we don't have the resources in Canada. Good to know for future! I already bought the expensive nutriferon though and all the ingredients she uses is double and to only use few capsules out of them. So I'll await the recipefor nutriferon as well.

Again you all are truly amazing!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I apologize, then -- going only by these pix i did not see lesions.
    Order some Nutriferon via Amazon -- pricey but effective in boosting the immune system ...mix 1 tablet in 40cc water and give 0.1ml 2x day.
    Just double checking it's only .1ml twice/day i have to add to the nut ball I'm giving in morning for Acyclovir and then I'll give another later on. I see in another thread from 2010 that it's 1ml per 1lb though ��. If given more will it hurt him? Even though natural he's teeny compared to us lol hoping this comes in the next couple days cuz the Acyclovir may be a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Amb View Post
    Just double checking it's only .1ml twice/day i have to add to the nut ball I'm giving in morning for Acyclovir and then I'll give another later on. I see in another thread from 2010 that it's 1ml per 1lb though ��. If given more will it hurt him? Even though natural he's teeny compared to us lol hoping this comes in the next couple days cuz the Acyclovir may be a bit.
    It won't hurt him; it's not like ivermectin which must be precise. Especially with a wild, eating a nut ball, you never know how much of it he's really getting in. The Nutriferon is for humans, so it's quite safe. My pox squirrels got a cocktail of Acyclovir, Nutriferon AND SMZ/TMP with no troubles whatsoever.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (12-06-2021), stepnstone (12-06-2021)

It won't hurt him; it's not like ivermectin which must be precise. Especially with a wild, eating a nut ball, you never know how much of it he's really getting in. The Nutriferon is for humans, so it's quite safe. My pox squirrels got a cocktail of Acyclovir, Nutriferon AND SMZ/TMP with no troubles whatsoever.
    Okay, perfect! That makes me feel whole lot better. I will follow correct steps for the meds though and for nutriferon I won't be crazy OCD about it. Sorry to bombard all of you. I just want to do this correctly and help him asap!
    ❤️

Kind regards,
    Amber

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Amb from:

stepnstone (12-06-2021)

I got your package in the mail this morning. The postal guy couldn’t tell me when it would arrive……especially because of the holidays. It will be sent by air but as an oversized envelope there is no tracking number.

I fear that it might not arrive in time to help your most critical guy, but because pox is contagious you should be able to help any subsequent infections in other squirrels. I’m sorry I’m so far away and couldn’t just hand off the medication to you.

I got your package in the mail this morning. The postal guy couldn’t tell me when it would arrive……especially because of the holidays. It will be sent by air but as an oversized envelope there is no tracking number.

I fear that it might not arrive in time to help your most critical guy, but because pox is contagious you should be able to help any subsequent infections in other squirrels. I’m sorry I’m so far away and couldn’t just hand off the medication to you.
    Thank you soooo much! You're amazing! I picked up some natural ingredients (above) from that long winded recipe from a lady in guelph with a horrible baby that has pox and survived so i have hopes! This ones either a juvenile or adult but wild and always has been so i hope it kicks it's butt. I just hope others don't catch but i am keeping my eye out big time.
    I get nutriferon on Wednesday in the mail!
    🤞🏻🤞🏻
    Thank you all!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Amb from:

Mel1959 (12-07-2021)

Update he just took his first immune booster ball, but not with nutriferon because it is arriving tomorrow. I could not for the life of me get close to him but was able to throw him a ball. It's -3 here today so took 5 minutes for the squirrels in that lil area to come out. He went to the creek and i saw him licking the snow because i think he got frustrated trying to get down for water. I threw a blueberry cuz he was running away from me and another ball but he found the blueberry first and another squirrel was going after the ball lol chase the other away and grabbed and tried again. Will try before time for bed. I believe he's actually fully blind in his right eye now but he does tfinlly have fur growth on his tail.
    Not sure if he'll make it through our harsh winter but capturing him clearly not going to happen. Poor thing, if only they could talk.
    My concern is his roommate i noticed has a little bald spot. Should i just keep my eye out, feed him some immune boosters and any sign of a lesion start on meds(once they arrive)?

Yes, I would treat any that you see that have lesions or skin/fur issues. I don’t think either the immune booster or the meds are going to hurt them if they don’t have pox.

Yes, I would treat any that you see that have lesions or skin/fur issues. I don’t think either the immune booster or the meds are going to hurt them if they don’t have pox.
    Awesome!! Thank you!

To brighten up your day here's a beautiful ombré boy Winnie! My hair matches him with my horrible roots lol

Winnie is adorable!. We don’t have any unique colored squirrels where I live….just various shades of brown/gray.

Winnie is most handsome 😍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Update: this lil fur babe is getting worse. Unfortunately, o haven't received the meds. I'm also wondering if you all think this is also mange serving these? He has none that i can see on paws. I'm going to try again trapping him tomorrow with someone. He only likes coming out afternoon. Tomorrow is 15 out here so hoping for the best!hr doesn't tend to come out if less than 3 degrees out. Way too cold and not many squirrels out. Today was 6 degrees, rainy and counted 23 squirrels around me. This is what happens when everyone feeds them lol
    It's not allowing me to post other pics so I'll post separately of ones that look similar or mange or fungal infection. Most have their nice thick coat and getting fluffy.

So the first photo (guy in the grass) is of one that hasno gur on tail as well but was fully furred elsewhere and now thinning out. Not sure if molting but looks rough.
    Other photos are probably out of order but this is other one i figured is pox. Found him 4 days ago and treating with immune booster balls. He looked bloody originally and now better, was dried out more and smaller
    Hoping it's working.

For my other bad shaped guy should i give some metacam? It's only thing a retired vet pharmacist has. He says his connections state they must see the animal to perscribe (typical here in Canada and wish they cared more and would come look gor themselves). What is the dosage if so for I'm guessing around 600g. Do you all think i should try ivermectin paste 1.87%? Not that i have but i can find online and calling a store tomorrow.

Anyone opposed to also treating for mange? This girl is getting A LOT worse, although her eye is more open now. Going to try catching tomorrow as seems to let me get closer and plus 2 out. Other girl seems to be getting better but wasn't as far along.

Anyone opposed to also treating for mange? This girl is getting A LOT worse, although her eye is more open now. Going to try catching tomorrow as seems to let me get closer and plus 2 out. Other girl seems to be getting better but wasn't as far along.

If you are planing to catch, make sure you have a full plan in place... cage prepared, warm, dark, quiet.

I'd treat for mange with Revolution (plain selamectin, not the "+" versions with other ingredients) versus Ivermectin if that is an option.

Do you have adequate acyclovir (Zovirax) or Valacyclovir (Valtrex) to treat her?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

If you are planing to catch, make sure you have a full plan in place... cage prepared, warm, dark, quiet.

I'd treat for mange with Revolution (plain selamectin, not the "+" versions with other ingredients) versus Ivermectin if that is an option.

Do you have adequate acyclovir (Zovirax) or Valacyclovir (Valtrex) to treat her?

My plan is to drive hour and half to a rehabber/sanctuary where I drove my baby who dislocated her shoulder. They advised to capture few weeks ago but I've had no success. They have all the tools and meds seven gas to knock get out, xray machines and surgery vets to help and over-winterize her until better. She's bare on back and they advised with no fur on tail will be tough to survive winter.
    Unfortunately, my resources are limited in Canada. Revolution I found online without prescription but comes from Australia so won't get for couple months.
    I received 5 pills of Valacylovir just before xmas from a kind lady above, Michelle from Florida. Im treating 2 squirrels so i just made my second batch and have 3 left. I'm keeping my eye on all the other squirrels as a lot seem to have fungal infections, losing fur and look like this one did back in summer with no fur on tail and now thinning out all over... Including her roommates. But no sign of lesions of bleeding.
    I'm going to post on my neighborhood app if anyone has Revolution but not sure we have here.
    Are you able to send dosing on it inside i get? 2.7mg per lb i think i read but how to put that in a nut ball since wild?

The rehabber place you found seems like a life saver...

Unfortunately, my resources are limited in Canada. Revolution I found online without prescription but comes from Australia so won't get for couple months.
    If you are ordering from Joe's in Australia, it usually arrived to me in less than two weeks, just FYI, but that was pre-pandemic. Not sure if it takes longer to CA.

Are you able to send dosing on it inside i get? 2.7mg per lb i think i read but how to put that in a nut ball since wild?

Dosing for the Revolution? Just one drop (not the entire vile) on the back of her neck if you can... it can be given orally if not. I treat wilds by drilling a hole in an almond and placing a drop in that hole.

If you are referring to doing something else, let me know what and I (or someone) will send a PM with dosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The rehabber place you found seems like a life saver...

If you are ordering from Joe's in Australia, it usually arrived to me in less than two weeks, just FYI, but that was pre-pandemic. Not sure if it takes longer to CA.

Dosing for the Revolution? Just one drop (not the entire vile) on the back of her neck if you can... it can be given orally if not. I treat wilds by drilling a hole in an almond and placing a drop in that hole.

If you are referring to doing something else, let me know what and I (or someone) will send a PM with dosing.

Unfortunately, they website isn't working but i found on fruugo.ca that ships to Canada. The person i found from said took 2 months. I'm afraid this girl won't make it couple weeks. Shocks me every day when i see her out. I really hope I catch her as weather is suppose to be a lil warmer so maybe she'll come out more. If i drop her off and she gets better I'll be oicking her up come spring to bring her back. Bonus I get to see my baby girls again. ❤️
    I'll let you know if i get my hands on anything here. Really upsetting having such a hard time to help wild animals here in Canada.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast