Thread: Why is my NR tree rat so thirsty and seemingly losing weight all the sudden?

Default Why is my NR tree rat so thirsty and seemingly losing weight all the sudden?

So Sterling was plumping up as usual for winter as her seasonal shed finished. She gets plumper but not heavier (as per the scale) generally, or at most she puts on 1/4 of a pound for the season and will drop around that much come spring/next shed/coat color change (she gets very white/sliver for winter, I I really did name her well without really knowing it).

Anyway... she was plumping, and drinking at her normal pace. Then I noticed that her water was emptying out within the day, first day I thought ok maybe I did something wrong when I screwed the cap on and caused it ti drip, but did take note that there wasnt much accumulation under the bottle nor in her "litterbox corner" where she pees. There's also no strong odor indicating any type of UTI. pH strips are all reading normal.

(There she goes drinking again as I'm typing this)

So day two the water drains just as fast. This has been going on for nearly a week now. And today while petting her i felt her ribs in a way that I haven't in a very very long time. Probably not since she was a malnourished infant. I took her weight. Still 1.5 pounds. I tried a different scale just in case, still 1.5lbs.

So wtf is going on here? Do I need to go to the vet?

Default Re: Why is my NR tree rat so thirsty and seemingly losing weight all the sudden?

I learned from having had two cats with it that excessive thirst and weight loss are primary signs of diabetes in all mammal types. I know, ugh. Does she consume a lot of fruit and/or starches? Try holding back on anything carb or legume from her food for a week or two and see if the situation continues. Fruits are sugar, especially banana, apple and oh, GRAPES are the worst.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Why is my NR tree rat so thirsty and seemingly losing weight all the sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I learned from having had two cats with it that excessive thirst and weight loss are primary signs of diabetes in all mammal types. I know, ugh. Does she consume a lot of fruit and/or starches? Try holding back on anything carb or legume from her food for a week or two and see if the situation continues. Fruits are sugar, especially banana, apple and oh, GRAPES are the worst.
    I get chewed out a lot but her diet is henrys bites and a couple nuts a week, maybe one max a day, and a d and calcium vitamin weekly.

Just noticed that the thermometer by her cage is reading 84 degrees opposed to a usual 72-74. I opened the window even though I'm freezing. Maybe she's too hot. Hopefully that's it. I don't really give her sweets to the point she would develop diabetes in my opinion, despite her ever constant obsession with iced tea. Also not really giving her starches or carbs on any regular basis.

Are two Henry’s a day and a few nuts a week all she eats? If so, it is not enough food.

I agree with IR. It sounds like diabetes.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Are two Henry’s a day and a few nuts a week all she eats? If so, it is not enough food.

I agree with IR. It sounds like diabetes.
    She's picky and also likes to steal dog food so i try to discourage food caches (since she has free roam) by giving her food in cage and waiting until she eats it all multiple times a day. I give her snow peas de stringed when I buy them and aside from carrots or sweet potatoes that's all she's interested in far as veggies go but I try to limit the sweet potato to treat status. She also likes chicken. A lot. She does gain fast if i overfeed. I weigh her generally every 9 days unless i think something is wrong. But again here... she's at her usual weight just seems thinner to the touch which is unusual.

What would I do to combat diabetes in a squirrel?

I believe it may be helpful to share her daily diet. What she actually eats. It's a bit confusing as it seems she is eating only carrots, snow-peas, Henry's, dog food (*not good for a squirrel), chicken and iced tea (sweetened or no?). How much of each thing specifically.

I took in a squirrel that was feed dog kibble and she was a wreck. Even though she was a grey squirrel her belly was orange like a foxer... it seems that was from the dog kibble diet she had been eating.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

island rehabber (12-04-2021)

I agree, her diet sounds VERY concerning. Does she eat any other type of rodent block besides Henry’s, like Harlan Teklad, Mazuri or Oxbow? It’s a good idea to leave these type of free feeding blocks in her cage at all times….if she is hungry she’ll eat them and they won’t go bad like Henry’s. Henrys being a supplemental block is designed to be fed with a wide variety of veggies, not as a sole source of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I believe it may be helpful to share her daily diet. What she actually eats. It's a bit confusing as it seems she is eating only carrots, snow-peas, Henry's, dog food (*not good for a squirrel), chicken and iced tea (sweetened or no?). How much of each thing specifically.

I took in a squirrel that was feed dog kibble and she was a wreck. Even though she was a grey squirrel her belly was orange like a foxer... it seems that was from the dog kibble diet she had been eating.
    Yes, kibble is basically cereal: mostly starch. Carrots are also high glycemic, lots of sugar. Eliminate those two and see what happens.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Nevermind. I think it was just overheating. I managed to lower the temperature of the place back down to 72 degrees (I'm freezing) and her water consumption has normalized. Weight still the same and her body's plumper again. Not 100% but significantly so. I guess it's just been so cold this winter and with covid I've forgotten why I put the thermometer near her cage in the first place.

I’m glad to hear that. What exactly does she eat in a day? It might be nice to verify that she’s getting all that she needs and that this event wasn’t the precursor to a bigger problem.