Thread: Juvenile wild gray with large lump near ear canal

Default Juvenile wild gray with large lump near ear canal

The area around the ear canal looks pink and inflamed, but most of the lump on the side of the head is covered in fur. I don't know how long it's had this but a photo from yesterday shows the lump (maybe smaller?). I didn't see any ooze. Do the front paws look normal? I didn't see any other injuries and it seemed to behave normally. Unfortunately there are cats, dogs, and hawks in the area.

I'm not sure how old it is but I believe it's from a group of young ones that first appeared in mid-late summer. It's a lot smaller than most of the adults. I usually see it a few times a day.

The lump location worries me. Should I try to give it antibiotics on a nut? I'd need instructions but I have amoxicillin-clavulaunic acid (Augmentin) 500mg-125mg, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (Bactrim) 800mg-160mg, and enrofloxacin powder for birds* (Baytril) 2.5 grams/100 gram (2.5%).

I'm in Ohio and talks with local rehab people in the past have gone poorly even for more "wanted" animals. I want to be prepared in case it gets worse quickly. What should I watch for and at what point would I need to catch it? I know abscesses usually need to be drained, so how long is it OK to go without seeing any drainage if it is an abscess? Thanks in advance for your help with this beautiful baby!

I'll post yesterday's photo separately to avoid confusion.

*I know the bird enrofloxacin (Enrotex) is the same medication as Baytril and it only has one inactive ingredient (maltodextrin), but I don't know if it'd be OK for squirrels. Here's the product: https://morningbirdproducts.com/coll...biotic-enrotex
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Default Re: Juvenile wild gray with large lump near ear canal

Here's the low quality photo from yesterday evening, 12/1.

Abscesses usually burst on their own. They can get quite large before they burst. I think for now you should just observe it. Antibiotics seldom will help u til the abscess has burst or is lanced and drained…it’s just too much for the antibiotic to have a significant affect.

Providing healthy foods will it recovers, and to encourage it to hang around for observation, is your best course of action. Try offering avocado (no skin or pit), kale, sugar snap peas, sweet potato in an effort to keep it around.

Once the abscess bursts continue monitoring to look for red inflamed tissue that would indicate infection.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Birdperson (12-02-2021), island rehabber (12-19-2021)

I have an epidemic of ear abscesses?! Is this a parasite or virus? I haven't seen any wounds except small bite marks from other squirrels all year, and all of a sudden there are 3 juveniles (at least 2 are related) with lumps or open wounds right below/beside the ear- this new one being the most gruesome. I saw a 4th with some weird fur in the same spot that I bet will look worse soon. Antibiotics for this baby? Augmentin/Clavamox 500mg-125mg, SMZ-TMP 800mg-160mg, or enrofloxacin powder for birds 2.5%? Ivermectin? It looks awful.

The original juvenile this thread was about had its lump open up and it looks like this but only a fraction of the size. I will get photos of the other 2 when I can.

Today there is something white-yellow in the wound, visible even from a distance. Maggot/larva or pus? Going to try to catch this one to get a look and clean it out but who knows how that will go. If any med recommendations, I can try throwing to it in PB on walnuts.

Maybe related to female with red eyeball with white stuff https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...24#post1341224

Anti-parasites: Capstar from Henry's, Ivermectin horse paste, Revolution for kittens, Adam's flea spray

Antibiotics: amoxicillin-clavulaunic acid (Augmentin, Clavamox equivalent) 500mg-125mg, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (Bactrim aka SMZ-TMP) 800mg-160mg, and enrofloxacin powder for birds (Morning Bird "Enrotex" brand version of Baytril) 2.5 grams/100 gram (2.5%) (the label says 1 level teaspoon is 5g, so it should be 0.125mg per tsp).

I'm so sorry but I've never seen this before 🥺
    Not a clue what could be happening to these babies
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Birdperson (12-18-2021)