Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My babies aren't thriving

Default My babies aren't thriving

Have 2 girls on FV, goat milk and HWC they are around 3 weeks they have had normal poop and pee up until yesterday they had a little bloating finally got it under control along with one had diarrhea so I hydrated for a couple feedings and today have hydrated between feedings but it's like their body is absorbing it so fast. I have some Henry's bene- pac plus but I'm not sure how much to give. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have stalked this page all day reading and researching I have learned so much.
    Thank you concerned mom .

Default Re: My babies aren't thriving

Quote Originally Posted by New Squirrel Mama View Post
    Have 2 girls on FV, goat milk and HWC they are around 3 weeks they have had normal poop and pee up until yesterday they had a little bloating finally got it under control along with one had diarrhea so I hydrated for a couple feedings and today have hydrated between feedings but it's like their body is absorbing it so fast. I have some Henry's bene- pac plus but I'm not sure how much to give. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have stalked this page all day reading and researching I have learned so much.
    Thank you concerned mom .

Bene-Bac Plus - 1 gram/ 0.24 tsp (slightly less then 1/4 teaspoon)

Do you have weights on the girls to know how much you should be feeding them between the 5-7% of body weight?

The Goat's milk formula your feeding is not complete, please click on and read the below link.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?29904-TEMPORARY-Goat-s-Milk-Formula***

You may also need to consider transitioning them to a more substantial formula.

Not sure what you mean by; "have hydrated between feedings but it's like their body is absorbing it so fast."
    If these babies are dehydrated they will not be able to process whatever they are being fed to benefit from it.
    Dehydration and diarrhea leads to loss of electrolytes which are needed for the body/system to function properly.
    Unsure what you are hydrating with but suggest the homemade hydration fluid as follows;

Re-hydration fluid:
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 quart water.
    1/2 measure:
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 tablespoon sugar (3-teaspoons)
    16 oz water (1-pint)
    1/4 measure:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water
    Last edited by stepnstone; 09-22-2021 at 12:48 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Could you please post a picture of them. That would help us a lot. Could you be very specific about the diet. What does your GMF consist of exactly and what Fox valley formula are you using?

If you could answer both stepnstone and my questions and post a picture, that would help us help you.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Thank you so much for your help. I do have their weights. I have been using the hydrating formula you listed lastnight I took out the salt and was using sugar water only because I realized after reading some of you guys post that I am supposed to be using spring water not distilled or drinking water I can't use our tap we don't even drink it. So the last batch I made was with spring water. So I need to be mixing the puppy formula with Fox Valley 32/40 instead of goat milk do I still need the HWC ?

Yes I can post a picture I'm going to have to wait until the sun comes up my lighting isn't the best for pictures .
    Their formula :
    Fox Valley 32/40
    1-tblsp powder
    2 - tblsp water
    Warmed water mixed and sits 4 to 6 hrs
    Then I mix
    3- tblsp goats milk
    2-tblsp HWC

I am willing to change add or omit anything to help them gain the weight they need.
    I do want to add they are very active and not lethargic or anything one has peed and pooped this warming the other only peed.

So sorry for the bad information concerning hydration fluid. Taking salt out and it is no longer hydration but instead it is sugar water which can be used in cases of constipation. Glad Stepnstone posted the right mixture.

I have seen too many babies get into real trouble with Esbilac and fv32/40. I would not feed my babies that. Starting at birth till 2.5 weeks, at which time I add fv2050 to the GMF.

GMF that I use is 3 parts goat milk (fresh is best if you can find it, 2 parts heavy whipping cream, 1 part yogurt). Goat milk can be frozen into smaller batch. Not GMF , just the goats milk.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Thank you so much for your help. I do have their weights. I have been using the hydrating formula you listed lastnight I took out the salt and was using sugar water only because I realized after reading some of you guys post that I am supposed to be using spring water not distilled or drinking water I can't use our tap we don't even drink it. So the last batch I made was with spring water. So I need to be mixing the puppy formula with Fox Valley 32/40 instead of goat milk do I still need the HWC ?
    What are their weights.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I have have some fox valley 20/50 it all came in the kit together. Thank you again so much for you guys help. I have reached out to others but they only respond a couple times and really with no help. Also the yogurt I have is fat free will that work or do I need something different but it does say it made will milk the first ingredient is cultured pasterisde low fat milk.

Weight

You have a couple of threads started, but from what I can gather, your girls are around four weeks. So glad you have fv20/50. Mix that the same way 2:1. At the next feeding take two parts water and 2 parts of the mixed 20/50 and feed that for two feedings. Then mix 1 part water to 3 parts mixed 20/50 formula. Feed two feedings and then feed 100% fox valley. Keep them on fv20/50 till they wean. Forget about the GMF.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Zenda (10-21-2021)

Weight

I'm sorry I didn't realize I had two threads. I apologize. I am just do grateful you guys are willing to help.

How long do I need to let it sit before I start feeding I know it has to sit what's the least amount of time ?

Also I have Bene- pac pro gel from Henrys do I still need to give them some I haven't given them any yet. I wasn't sure of the doses and didn't give them the wrong amount.

How long do I need to let it sit before I start feeding I know it has to sit what's the least amount of time ?
    Have you fed this morning? What time till next feeding?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I let it sit for 4 hours. I finish a batch at a feeding andmix up what I will need for the next 24-30 hours.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Also I have Bene- pac pro gel from Henrys do I still need to give them some I haven't given them any yet. I wasn't sure of the doses and didn't give them the wrong amount.
    I think step gave you a dosing earlier in your thread.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

A picture is invaluable to help us assess what your babies need, what we can further recommend for them and you.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

It's time for the next feeding now !! I am also going to remix hydration mix for them and get you a picture ASAP.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to New Squirrel Mama from:

redwuff (09-22-2021)

Go ahead and feed what you have been feeding. Mix 32/40 and feed as directed above at next feeding.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast